Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 05:41 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

I think 500 sf is where the designation "tiny house" begins, and - as others have pointed out - they actually aren't allowed in many (or most) municipalities. Unless a property is grandfathered in somehow, 1500 is usually the minimum approved. That said, there are condotels (former hotel rooms converted into condos; usually well under 500 sf) available in some locations, such as the beach, and that would suit me fine as a second/vacation home. I'd love to own so little stuff that I could live in one full-time, but I'm afraid I'm not quite there. If you're young and haven't yet accumulated or inherited things -- don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 04:27 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
There is that allure of the water. It was either a condo waterfront or a boat for me as well as I am quite attracted to water.
I thought about doing that in Houston when I lived near there. Lots of boat slips available there. Unless you are buying a yacht it might be much less than 600 feet.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:03 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,675,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Are you actually asking a question?
No, it's a thread for those who are into 600 sqft or less. Share experience, share lifestyle. Are you in one or like to be in one? If so, this thread is for you.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:06 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
The apartment I've lived in for most of the past 2 1/2 years is 49 sq. meters / 527 sq. feet. It is the second level of a 4 story "walk-up" complex with a total of 40 units. There are 5 entrance doors and 5 stairwells that lead to each group of 8 apartments (4 story x 2 per floor). The building was built in 1961, and my neighbor across the stairwell has lived here since the apartment was new! Yes, it is a very nice location. Some other nearby neighbors have been in their apartments for 40+ years. Most apartments are owned by the occupants, mine is one of the few rentals from private owners who live in their own apartment up on the 4th floor.

525 to 600 sq. feet is fine for an apartment / condo with 1 or 2 residents, if the rooms are laid out well. My kitchen and bath both have large windows to let in lots of light and fresh air. The living room has a south-facing balcony and nice sized windows too. The bedroom also has a couple of good sized south facing windows, which helps in a cooler climate. There is a storage room for each apartment in the basement, which also helps with living in a smaller apartment. The basement also has a bicycle parking room. There are garages that could be rented close the to the apartment for parking a car (which I don't have) and for storing some other stuff.

If you keep the "clutter" in the small apartment to a minimum, it is really easy to keep it clean. Mine has ceramic tile floor in the bath, eat-in kitchen and entrance hallway. The bedroom & living room have laminate floor. It is a snap to vacuum and then damp mop the floors, which I do once a week or so.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I had a studio apartment back in the ‘80’s, that was designed at 550 sq ft. It was designed thoughtfully and for a single person. I enjoyed living in it, as it was cozy.

The front door opened into the living room, which led to a dining area & breakfast area and kitchen on the right.
On the left was the sleeping area (no bedroom), closet, bathroom sink, then a door to the bathroom & shower.
The unit had a sliding glass door (near the dining area) and a small patio. I had a small Weber BBQ grill on the patio and would grill a steak, chicken or a burger for dinner.

Being single at the time, it was comfortable and I could store all of my belongings.
That sounds amazing! I prefer horizontal layouts which seems what you have.

My city condo, alas, has a vertical layout -- think of a letter "I", while my water condo is a horizontal layout, think of letter "P" Yours sounds like a reverse "P".

Old 06-10-2023, 07:06 AM

19,014 posts, read 14,191,607 times
107 sq ft apartment in Japan - - -

https://www.businessinsider.com/tiny...d-a-bathroom-6

Old 06-10-2023, 10:23 AM

13,645 posts, read 9,701,990 times
600 sf would be a staggering upgrade from our current quarters! One learns to adapt. Writing desk doubles as dining table. Office-chair as recliner and couch. Craftsman tool chest serves as platform for a computer printer, perch for the cat, and occasional laundry hamper. The closet is stuffed with books. Piles of books, arranged as those wooden block-towers popular as tabletop games in bars, sit precariously awaiting the next earthquake, pillars from the past, survivors of “de-cluttering”. It feels like one of those saccharine comedies about an older man who decides to go back to college, maybe even to pledge a fraternity. This is all downsizing from a middling-size house in Middle America.

Eventually the temporary becomes permanent. Belt-tightening goes from brief but aggressive diet, to a settled asceticism. By choice? No, not entirely. But did I mention that one learns to adapt?

Old 06-10-2023, 11:11 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you aren't a boater who might actually appreciate the intent, design, or abilities of a boat or put one to its intended use, the inconveniences can outweigh the allure fairly fast. Especially utilities like the plumbing and sewer/septic terrestrial homes take for granted. Marine plumbing is a very harsh task master 24/7/365, no exceptions.

Go to a marina and talk to owners of cabin boats. They don't describe boats as "holes in the water in which you pour money" for nothing!
I hope the OP sees this post.

My bro lived on his boat for 25 years. He missed having a garden to grow veggies. (He was on his 48' Egg Harbor {Golden Egg} in Marina Del Ray.) Biggest expense? Fuel.

My office was 640'. If it were laid out right, it could be do-able. But, you'd have to give up an awful lot.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
107 sqft.. now that would be a good challenge for me.

I love lofts, it's a great way to maximize space. I wish there would be more loft units worldwide.

Old 06-10-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
600 sf would be a staggering upgrade from our current quarters! One learns to adapt. Writing desk doubles as dining table. Office-chair as recliner and couch. Craftsman tool chest serves as platform for a computer printer, perch for the cat, and occasional laundry hamper. The closet is stuffed with books. Piles of books, arranged as those wooden block-towers popular as tabletop games in bars, sit precariously awaiting the next earthquake, pillars from the past, survivors of “de-cluttering”. It feels like one of those saccharine comedies about an older man who decides to go back to college, maybe even to pledge a fraternity. This is all downsizing from a middling-size house in Middle America.

Eventually the temporary becomes permanent. Belt-tightening goes from brief but aggressive diet, to a settled asceticism. By choice? No, not entirely. But did I mention that one learns to adapt?
Me I was "trained" early as my parents rent from 1 place to another. I grew up on a rented room so I adapted organically. Because of my background, I didn't feel i was missing out on something. I actually liked living in rooms/studio units as they are easy to clean, cheaper, and made me go out more to enjoy the surrounding environment.

Then family came and I succumbed to pressures to buy a big house as that appears to be the norm for a family but eventually found it was not for me. We lived on said house of 2700 sqft for 9 years and downsized to 1400 sqft where we are now. Soon, when the youngest go to college, that's when I'll make my move to either one of my 2 condo units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House