Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 04:09 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times

Advertisements

One of our homes (a vacation home) is 24 x 24 ft so < 600 SF. It is a pleasant size for weekends and all, but I refer more space for sure. That can get tight for 2 people, so you'd better have somewhere to go and preferably great weather all year round so you can get out.... Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 01:56 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
One of the best times of my life was when I had a studio with a Murphy bed. I just threw the bed up into the wall & had plenty of space, b/c of the bed & because it was in an old building that had lots of storage...deep built-in drawers etc. However, I was living there because the beach was across the street and the bay just a few steps from my door, so I was always at one or the other. If this place had been landlocked, I would have been miserable.

I had a friend who lived for about 15 years on a boat, mostly b/c the slip rent was cheaper than a mortgage or apartment rental. But she did get tired of having to get off the boat to take a shower, shlep the laundry, etc.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:16 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
My previous home was a 14 feet by 48 feet mobile home. Lived there for 16 years. It was easy to keep up. Because it was so small I had no choice but to keep things picked up and put away. Adjustments had to be made for furniture. Living room had one recliner and one loveseat. That was all the room available. Master bedroom could only accept a queen size bed. A king size bed would result in the loss of at least one nightstand. The spare bedroom was only big enough for a twin bed and dresser or to be used as a computer room with a small desk.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:56 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Originally Posted by jetgraphics
107 sq ft apartment in Japan - - -
https://www.businessinsider.com/tiny...d-a-bathroom-6

Quote:
I love lofts, it's a great way to maximize space. I wish there would be more loft units worldwide.107 sqft.. now that would be a good challenge for me. . .
I was looking into capsule / pod hotels in Asia, for inspiration.

I found one interesting variation : PodBed. It consisted of an upper bunk bed, and a sofa / futon underneath, that doubled as a computer nook, TV viewing, and gamer zone. Though sized for young adults, it could be upsized.
https://www.awesomeinventions.com/pod-bed/

I lost the link, but in another Japanese apartment, I saw a clever arrangement : Kitchenette => Couch Bar Table => Couch => TV screen. . . within a 2m wide space.

https://www.afw.com/sofa-bar-tables-...ose-powerhouse
I could almost envision the upper loft above the "Parlor".

Old 06-11-2023, 08:47 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
One of the best times of my life was when I had a studio with a Murphy bed. I just threw the bed up into the wall & had plenty of space, b/c of the bed & because it was in an old building that had lots of storage...deep built-in drawers etc. However, I was living there because the beach was across the street and the bay just a few steps from my door, so I was always at one or the other. If this place had been landlocked, I would have been miserable.
Yes on the water. On the landlocked, may I suggest beside/near shopping malls or better yet, those condo buildings with commercial spaces inside them. It may be expensive in US but this thread is not just in US but anywhere.

My 2 condos are in southeast Asia -- Philippines and Thailand. Not that I could not afford one here in US (mortgage anyone? ) but if I do, I may go house poor which I do not like.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:50 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I was looking into capsule / pod hotels in Asia, for inspiration.

I found one interesting variation : PodBed. It consisted of an upper bunk bed, and a sofa / futon underneath, that doubled as a computer nook, TV viewing, and gamer zone. Though sized for young adults, it could be upsized.
https://www.awesomeinventions.com/pod-bed/

I lost the link, but in another Japanese apartment, I saw a clever arrangement : Kitchenette => Couch Bar Table => Couch => TV screen. . . within a 2m wide space.

https://www.afw.com/sofa-bar-tables-...ose-powerhouse
I could almost envision the upper loft above the "Parlor".
Very interesting jetgraphics. This might solve those with 2 kids starting to grow up buy only having 1 room for them. Putting 2 podbeds in the room might do the trick. Thanks for the share and keep sharing what you're finding in your research.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:39 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
I would eventually move to a housing unit of 600 sqft or less. Specifically for me, it would be a 1BR condo unit. Others might prefer an open floor plan Studio unit. This is for any type of housing unit as long as we keep it 600 sqft or less. Heck it could be an RV, tiny house, boat and the like.
Nope. No way, no how.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:40 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post

I had a friend who lived for about 15 years on a boat, mostly b/c the slip rent was cheaper than a mortgage or apartment rental. But she did get tired of having to get off the boat to take a shower, shlep the laundry, etc.
We won't even buy an RV if it has a murphy bed. Nope. Way too much work and fuss. Life is too short!

Old 06-13-2023, 10:26 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
There is that allure of the water. It was either a condo waterfront or a boat for me as well as I am quite attracted to water.
I have seen people living in their boats on the east coast,it is not really that much fun,as it rocks and when there is storm and heavy rain,it is not comfy .

Old 06-13-2023, 10:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
As a college student,I have lived my fair share of room less than 600 sq ft,probably 400 sq ft,shared kitchen with the land lady,life is so much simpler.
BTW,in the movie Forest Gump,didnt lieutenant Dan live in a studio?with a stove?I lived in one like that in my last year in college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House