Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 02:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
House has casement windows so not possible
It is actually possible with some additional work. You can buy a portable AC unit, they cost more than the window type, but they stand on the floor, and have only a vent tube. You can have the local plastics place (or online) cut a piece of Acrylic or Lexan that fits in the window opening and with a hole cut in it for the vent. Then you can use duct tape inside to seal around the plastic to keep the heat and bugs out. Just make sure the hole for the vent is on opening side, not the hinged side of the window. In this picture they use flexible plastic, but that would let in some heat when sun hits it more than rigid, 1/8" or 1/4" thick plastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 03:42 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I grew up in a cape. My bedroom was upstairs....I would sweat all night long, in the heat of the summer, and I had three windows. My parents put in a window AC. I think that is the only answer.

I also grew up in an upstairs bedroom of a Cape... and the only air movement we had was the box fan in the widow at the top of stairs blowing out, theoretically sucking air in through the open windows elsewhere. I expect that's scientifically sound with the right fan... but that ain't what we had. It was miserable.

Old 07-05-2023, 03:47 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:

Is it possible to change out the window to accept a window AC ?

Old 07-05-2023, 03:51 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Duh - I wouldn't have asked if the a/c worked for the upstairs.

Oh, OK. Then I’ll rephrase.

Get your A/C fixed!!! This ain’t rocket science-

Old 07-05-2023, 04:48 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Default There ARE window air conditioners for casement windows

Quote:
When I lived in Ann Arbor, my apartment had casement windows but I WAS able to buy a window a/c (then sell it after I moved to a place with central a/c) ... I thought it was VERY expensive, but when it got into the 80s in my apartment , it was worth every penny to buy it!

They are 2-3 times more expensive than regular window a/c's of comparable size, but they work.

I just googled window air conditioner for casement windows and the first one I saw costs just over $400 for a unit that cools 450 square feet (which would be quite a large room). I think I paid more than that for my unit in Ann Arbor about 25 years ago, so they are not even as expensive as I'd thought they were.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:53 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Pick an alternative. They all work.

1. Get an a/c for your casement window.
2. Get a split a/c that doesn't require window access.
3. Cut a hole in one of the walls and install a sleeve and a/c through the wall.

I've utilized the first and last alternatives and they work very well. Split a/c's are getting very popular in the US and have been used in Europe for many years.

There are three good options for you, unless you have objections to all suggestions that you get a/c for, what is essentially, an attic. It's being used as a bedroom, but it's really the attic in the cape style house.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:55 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It is actually possible with some additional work. You can buy a portable AC unit, they cost more than the window type, but they stand on the floor, and have only a vent tube. You can have the local plastics place (or online) cut a piece of Acrylic or Lexan that fits in the window opening and with a hole cut in it for the vent. Then you can use duct tape inside to seal around the plastic to keep the heat and bugs out. Just make sure the hole for the vent is on opening side, not the hinged side of the window. In this picture they use flexible plastic, but that would let in some heat when sun hits it more than rigid, 1/8" or 1/4" thick plastic.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply (bedroom isn't that large and wouldn't really have room

Old 07-05-2023, 05:21 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply (bedroom isn't that large and wouldn't really have room

I left out a fourth option.

Buy a large block of ice.

Sleep on it.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:24 PM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
What does window sty!e have to do with AC?

Old 07-05-2023, 07:57 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:

Sure it is. Take the window out, build a frame with some plywood to attach to the window frame and hold the AC in.

I lived in a hot 2nd floor apartment for 22 years, with casement windows. That was the solution for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House