Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 12:08 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is house and/or health-related. I have a cape cod and the upstairs bedroom is horribly hot - I've tried the tower fan on all night but end up w/a terrible sinus headache - what to do?? It's already so hot and it's only early July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 12:22 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not sure if this is house and/or health-related. I have a cape cod and the upstairs bedroom is horribly hot - I've tried the tower fan on all night but end up w/a terrible sinus headache - what to do?? It's already so hot and it's only early July.
I grew up in a cape. My bedroom was upstairs....I would sweat all night long, in the heat of the summer, and I had three windows. My parents put in a window AC. I think that is the only answer.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:35 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,529,578 times
We have a west-facing townhouse with a single AC unit and thermostat downstairs. For our son's bedroom, which is the hottest of all due to a solid wall of windows, we put up solar film and high-quality thermal room-darkening curtains to block the source as best we could. This wasn't enough, so we ended up buying a portable AC (our only option, since HOA doesn't allow window units).

The other rooms upstairs are also pretty warm. Recently, we adjusted the air flow from the vents on the bottom floor to push more to the top floor, and that has done a great job of balancing everything out.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:41 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I grew up in a cape. My bedroom was upstairs....I would sweat all night long, in the heat of the summer, and I had three windows. My parents put in a window AC. I think that is the only answer.
I agree. I have two vents from the heat pump to the upstairs MBR in my Cape Cod, but they're inadequate as far as cooling it. The in-wall AC pretty much does the trick though. I don't even go into the adjacent closet unless it's early morning or a rainy day in the summer though - it's an absolute oven.

Old 07-05-2023, 01:33 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
- what to do?? It's already so hot and it's only early July.

I'd start with turning on the A/C.
Who doesn't have A/C in VA???

Old 07-05-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
House has casement windows so not possible

Old 07-05-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
We have a west-facing townhouse with a single AC unit and thermostat downstairs. For our son's bedroom, which is the hottest of all due to a solid wall of windows, we put up solar film and high-quality thermal room-darkening curtains to block the source as best we could. This wasn't enough, so we ended up buying a portable AC (our only option, since HOA doesn't allow window units).

The other rooms upstairs are also pretty warm. Recently, we adjusted the air flow from the vents on the bottom floor to push more to the top floor, and that has done a great job of balancing everything out.
I'll have to check into them more - limited hand strength though. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'd start with turning on the A/C.
Who doesn't have A/C in VA???
Duh - I wouldn't have asked if the a/c worked for the upstairs.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:21 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Well, all the fan can do is move already hot air around. It can't lower its temperature. A fan makes you feel cooler primarily because moving air speeds up heat transfer off your skin and helps perspiration evaporate. The air that's being pushed by the fan may not actually be cooler temperature-wise. Of course, if that air is really humid and/or close to body temperature it won't work nearly as well.

If the outside air at night happens to end up cooler than the air sitting in those upper story rooms, using a fan to pull it in through open windows can lower the temperature. If you don't want to open windows because of humidity, pollen, noise or whatever, you're stuck cooling it with AC. People who can't/won't use AC to cool the upper story of their houses plan to sleep downstairs or in basements when it's hot.

Aren't there OTC meds that relieve sinus headaches? I don't get them so don't know which work. In addition to sleeping downstairs, a fan, that may help you get some sleep.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-05-2023 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-05-2023, 02:26 PM

462 posts, read 284,734 times
Warm air rises, cool air drops. If you have central air, close all the downstairs vents and open the upstairs. Do the opposite in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House