Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 11:32 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

You can make them as shady as you wish. You space the lathe on top as near or as far apart as you want, or you can grow vines over the top, or you can make the roof solid, if you want.

My only suggestion is to build one that is big enough for conversation so a couple of friends can sit out there with you and maybe room for a couple of tiny tables to set your drinks on.

Would you use it? I don't know. I have a covered back porch that gets a lot of use. The barbecue is going year round and when the air temperature is nice, I take a book and sit on the porch swing and I like to sit out there and watch my dogs and enjoy the scenery, so I use mine a lot and I would use a free-standing pergola if I had one. It's your lifestyle so you should be able to guess whether or not you would use it. It's a lot of money to spend if you never use it.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 07-16-2023 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 11:39 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Get the best of both worlds- without the backbreaking work!!!

https://terrasummer.com/products/dur...gaAogyEALw_wcB
While it is a nice concept, my first impression was that someone started to build a parking deck and quit before it was done.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:36 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
Many here in the south grow wisteria on it for the shade.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:38 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
We built a very small one in our last backyard just to accommodate a single chair swing. It was limited in size because of the nearby deck that we also built. The pergola/swing overlooks the fish pond in the yard. Doesn't provide "shade" as such, but could if I grew vines over it.

At our current house we will be building a "cabana" next to our new pond/waterfall. This is a larger structure which will also accommodate a swing but has a tin roof so will provide shade and shelter.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:56 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Many here in the south grow wisteria on it for the shade.
It’s the worse thang you can grow!!!
It can over-whelm an area at the blink of an eye!

Old 07-17-2023, 08:41 AM

743 posts, read 876,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
And all windows bathroom provides extra entertainment
No kidding! It was really different at night, but I'm used to it now. Outside the bathroom the pergola sits on an adobe wall surrounding a small garden area and the wall is tall so no peeking in. Someone would really have to want to see in to take the risk of being out there at night. Way too many wild animals and snakes plus it's extremely dark. I don't even go outside at night! I used to walk down to the mailbox at night until I set up game cameras...I don't walk down there anymore! Haha!

Old 07-17-2023, 11:07 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
My girlfriend bought one a few weeks ago.

It's shady in a backyard that doesn't have much direct shade. A picnic table goes under it. It'll be fine once the concrete pad is poured under it, but right now it seems a little silly sitting in the grass.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:29 PM

2,039 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
or a gazebo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Couldn't come up with the word. Thanks for the assist!

If it is on the bigger side, I'd call it a pavilion.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:19 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Pergolas as I have seen traditional ones use vertical boards to create shade at appropriate sun angles. by using certain width boards at particular spacing you can create almost complete shade at the time of day that you most use the space. Personally I consider them architectural gee-gaws that are put in to enhance the appearance of an area. Around here the bugs are too bad to sit outside without being screened in so you might as well build a screened deck or porch.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:53 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I've always thought a well built pergola looks cool but considered them a piece of costly yard art because they won't be keeping folks dry if it rains. Now that I'm old and retired with some discretionary income, I can see it might be fun to build one. Question is, do the joists block enough sun to make any significant shade?
Costco had one for sale but what I liked was they were also selling "blind" like shades that could attach to the supports and roll down. I'm assuming that was the enclose the structure for rain. They were housed in a small'ish enclosure box, like maybe a retractable awning would be in.
We are having our back deck rebuilt, with the overhang, and I am going to see if they can place the beams so I can purchase these shades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House