Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

I'm going to fix the url from a previous post. I'm doing this because you have to see the doors these people make. I'm drooling. I can't buy one because it seems I'd have to order at least 90 of them to be shipped from China. Oh well.

They put 9 doors on a page and links just below them to other doors. Makes me wonder if they have any dealers here.

www.doors-factory-china.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Hello,

I am having a tough time making a decision on whether to make an offer on this house. It has the best neighborhood, location, and "drive up" of the houses I've seen, very tranquil/quiet cul-de-sac with a nice private backyard.

It's in very good condition as well. This is my first house and I live alone. The only catch is the living room and kitchen layout. The kitchen is a so-called "galley" kitchen and a little dark. The living room is a little on the small side and the layout is a bit awkward. At least I feel it might be. Good staging of the furniture, a rug, and decent custom lighting might help.

I'm hoping to get a few opinions from people who have lived in houses (it's been thirteen years in apartments for me). What do you think of this floorplan for a single person?

Summit Parc Community - D.R.Horton - America's Builder

Thanks for any opinions. Originally I was looking for the most open floorplan I could find, but the benefits of the backyard and peaceful neighborhood and location for this house really make it a strong contender. What do you think?
I agree with desertsun41 on several points, i.e. all bedroom doors should be shielded from the public areas. However, at least the two side bedrooms provide you with a right angle so that guests cannot see directly into the bedrooms from the living room. This issue may not bother you as a single resident, but the lack of privacy will magnify if you have guests very often. It will also be a point of detraction on resale. If you do decide to pursue the suggestion of scone, i.e. taking in roomates, it will become even more of a problem. If I am reading the plan correctly, the area to the right of the entry hall is an open passageway. This means you will always need to keep the bathroom door closed or you will directly view the toilet as you enter the livingroom.

I do agree with other posters. Take out the 4th bedroom if you can. You could expand the kitchen, possibly use this area for an open dining area, then use the current dining area as a den/sitting area off the livingroom.

I can't comment on the galley kitchen because the actual measurements are not included. The galley appears long so make sure the area between the counters is sufficient to move around comfortably. Finally, I have increased the open feeling of galley kitchens simply by replacing the window over the sink with a garden window. This is a relatively inexpensive retrofit, and it allows an area for plants, etc. and creates a "psychologically" larger kitchen.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:10 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,616 times
i think rooms that are "cozy" are more enjoyable. i would like having an extra cozy room or two for various activities where you can shut the door than have a huge open space that feels too big and everything is always in sight. that's just me though!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:08 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
As a mom I can tell you galley kitchens are tough. I like kitchens that open up to the living room so I can keep my eyes on ds. That is difficult if I am cooking or washing the dishes, etc., and I am blocked off from the rest of the house.

My current kitchen is not large by any means...but it is a very open floorplan and it works great.

So if resale is important- keep that in mind...most moms I know like kitchens that overlook the living area.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
I don't like the floor plan and would hold out for something better. That laundry area is tiny and awkward. Where will you iron clothes, in the living room? Like another poster said, the bedrooms don't feel so private when they're hanging out into the living areas. Do you entertain? That kitchen isn't big enough if you do and there is no flow. Congratulations on the coming purchase of a new home and best of luck on what ever you decide!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:37 PM

83 posts, read 271,456 times
Here's my floorplan. I live with my son. This house works very well for us. The finished product (including the insulated garage) is 1,883 sq. ft. If I was single I'd be just as happy in this house although I must admit I have 2 rooms I don't even use.

C and C Builders of Columbia Floorplan Detail (http://www.candcbuilders.com/FloorPlanDetail.asp?showmaster=1&PlanName=24 - broken link)

Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I think that it is a nice home for a single person with plenty of room for expansion should you get married etc. I would take the optional room as a study/den. You can float your furniture in the family room, which kind of makes things nice. you may not be stuck with the same arrangement all of the time! as for suggestions on how to place the furniture, check out the home and garden tv website. they have some features that may be helpful. you could also anchor the room with some type of area rug. As for not needing the extra bedrooms right now, you can always have one as a guest room and make one your home gym! or hobby area. to have the one room as a dedicated office/den would be great. I don't think you need an actual formal dining room. I say, go for it.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:55 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,875 times
looks fine to me. Could place a sofa tween living/dining to break the room. The bar in kitchen is nice. Also possible expansion pf kitchen by removing 4th bedroom.

If you like it, and price it right - why not?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Default Thanks!

I really appreciate all of the great insight. Definitely some things I hadn't even considered. I have a tough decision to make.... Thank you again for all the honest opinions. This forum is very helpful

Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Hello,

I am having a tough time making a decision on whether to make an offer on this house. It has the best neighborhood, location, and "drive up" of the houses I've seen, very tranquil/quiet cul-de-sac with a nice private backyard.

It's in very good condition as well. This is my first house and I live alone. The only catch is the living room and kitchen layout. The kitchen is a so-called "galley" kitchen and a little dark. The living room is a little on the small side and the layout is a bit awkward. At least I feel it might be. Good staging of the furniture, a rug, and decent custom lighting might help.

I'm hoping to get a few opinions from people who have lived in houses (it's been thirteen years in apartments for me). What do you think of this floorplan for a single person?

Summit Parc Community - D.R.Horton - America's Builder

Thanks for any opinions. Originally I was looking for the most open floorplan I could find, but the benefits of the backyard and peaceful neighborhood and location for this house really make it a strong contender. What do you think?
Personally I do not like the floorplan. The main reason is the entrance to the master bedroom. I avoid this type of stuff on my design at all costs. It is a poor decision. other than that, the rest is not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House