Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't do it. Get three estimates/quotes from local outfits who have all the required insurance.

Just curious - how much are they charging for the job?

Nothing wrong at all with you acting as the GC, just as long as the subs are legitimate.

Here are their projected costs:

They were charging for their labor: $4,466.22 (does not include materials)

Demo and framing 756.86
Insulation: 250.00
Drywall: 1,537.00
Interior Trim 607.20
Stairs (replace) 450.00
Paint: 665.16
Clean up/hauling: 200.00

I'm not sure how this lines up to what a licensed GC would charge as they do not break down the project cost detailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
How big is the space?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
How big is the space?
357 square feet. Lowest ceiling height 5ft 10inches, highest 9 feet.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:58 AM

Default Called the inspector building dept

Thank you for sticking with me on this one.

I just called and spoke to the lead inspector and he said that if I am the one who pulled the permit (which I did), I am responsible whether the drywall and framer guy have insurance or not and that it doesn't matter --- that the responsibilty lies with the homeowner when you work as a GC for a project. He said to call my homeowners and see what my policy states for coverage.

Any thoughts??

Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I need some advice:

I'm the owner/contractor for my attic finish project. I have pulled permits and have my licensed electrician, licensed HCVAC installer picked and estimates done. I have a framer/drywall duo that I have concerns with. They do not have general liability coverage on themselves but are willing to sign a wavier that if anything happens (i.e. injuries) that I will not be responsible. Does anyone have any experience in doing this with someone working on their home. How about if they bring someone with them do I need to have them sign something as well? I just want to protect myself and be prudent in taking on this subcontracting task.

Also, if the electrician gave me a quote after looking at the project and told me $40 per hour + materials and thought it would be around $1,200 but said if it was more he would increase his original estimate --- is this normal procedure? Is it unrealistic to expect him to give me a price and stick with it?
EDIT: Deleted - I just read your last post...

As for the electrician, wiring a framed out, unfinished attic should be pretty straightforward work and I don't think there is any reason he would not be able to formulate a very accurate electrical plan and stick to his estimate. That said, if there are unforseeable complications and he goes considerably over his original quote and is captive to that dollar amount he has enormous incentive to slap a dodgy job together. You may find that you overpay a bit if you want a firm price estimate.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Any thoughts??
How many bids did you get for framing and drywall?

Can these guys give you any references - that you would be able to go and see their work?

Do you have general knowledge regarding framing and drywalling - so you know they are doing it right?

I would still be very cautious hiring two unlicensed, uninsured guys from CL.

You seem to be set with going with these two - why?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
How many bids did you get for framing and drywall?

Can these guys give you any references - that you would be able to go and see their work?

Do you have general knowledge regarding framing and drywalling - so you know they are doing it right?

I would still be very cautious hiring two unlicensed, uninsured guys from CL.

You seem to be set with going with these two - why?
Yes, I have 2 good references checked out. My husband has some knowledge, not vast, but some.

I am not set on these guys. In fact after all your great information and others I realize I would be very foolish to hire them. Oddly, I just liked them the best and their quote was right in the middle of others.

I talked to my homeowners insurance who know me personally and they said DO NOT HIRE UNLICENSED/UNINSURED workers in your home. Very bad idea. They don't like homeowners being GC --- too risky. I have a million dollar liabilty policy on my home and they still don't like it. They said they see more lawsuits that they have to settled from well intentioned homeowners hiring someone who is unlicensed and uninsured.

I think I am hearing everyone that I should not hire them.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Unless I knew them personally, no I would not. I would not be willing to assume the risk.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 AM

I would look elsewhere.

Still ok for you to be the GC, imo.

Just make sure any trade that comes in your house is insured and licensed - ask for copies of their certificate and actually make the call to confirm the validity.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I would look elsewhere.

Still ok for you to be the GC, imo.

Just make sure any trade that comes in your house is insured and licensed - ask for copies of their certificate and actually make the call to confirm the validity.
You're right. I still feel okay about being the GC but the licensed and insured part I will not waiver from. And, yes, I will definately ask for the certificate of insurance and definately call to confirm that in is in force.

Thank you again for the time you took to steer me straight again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House