Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:32 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Boy has this been debated a lot here. First I do not think stainless shows fingerprints any more than white or black. Fingerprints are fingerprints and they show no matter what the color is. We have stinaless and a coupe of very messy kids and we have no problem keeping our stainless looking good. I also think that stainless is classic. It has been around in upscale kitchens for decades, it has just recently been made affordable to more moderate budgets. That is why you are seeing it more. I think that the cheap and fake stainless you see now will go out of style but the true upscale stainless will remain. JMHO

Also I would encourage the OP to do more research on the brands of appliances they are considering. Some do not have very good reliability ratings. Check Consumer Reports.com for their recommendations and for the comments of people who have bought appliances. Also I found the link below interesting. It was posted on this board a couple of weeks ago and it is great. hope this helps. Jay

All Brand Service - New Product Recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
The cabinets are the important feature, so get what you feel matches the best.

I just love the brushed oiled bronze, they are my favorite, but I have black am happy with that. I agree with another poster stainless......................................... .................................................. .................................................. . .................................................. .....................................
Black and White, even the Bisque (Almond) are all timeless , maybe because they really aren't a color.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 AM

141 posts, read 634,168 times
We bought all LG Stainless appliances a month ago for our new house and also had Stainless in our condo. Never had a problem with fingerprints. This is really only a problem if you buy the cheap alliances because the grade of stainless steal is so low. Wiping down your appliances is just part of normal kitchen cleaning. I wiped down our every week or so, but we don’t have children or slobbering dogs either. White reminds me of apartments and the handles always get dirty. Never had black before but I agree with the other posters that it really depends on what cabinets and countertops you have.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:48 AM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times
We chose white because
a) cleans easily with vinegar and water and
b) I hate spending extra money just to have some 'look' when the quality is the same, and in some cases lesser than similar, lower cost models.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyBlue View Post
We bought all LG Stainless appliances a month ago for our new house and also had Stainless in our condo. Never had a problem with fingerprints. This is really only a problem if you buy the cheap alliances because the grade of stainless steal is so low. Wiping down your appliances is just part of normal kitchen cleaning. I wiped down our every week or so, but we don’t have children or slobbering dogs either. White reminds me of apartments and the handles always get dirty. Never had black before but I agree with the other posters that it really depends on what cabinets and countertops you have.
I totally agree with you. In this home and my prior, I have stainless with no problems. I also don't have young children or dogs.

I also have had black and white before- stainless has been the best for me.

As you stated all colors require regular cleaning.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
I have always felt that stainless will end up being the future Harvest Gold and Avocado Green. Depending on the rest of the color scheme, my choice would be black or bisque.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
SS for us. White looks too builder grade, see it in apartments all the time too. Black looks good but SS just pops! Bisque is blahhh and so 80's. Yes, I realize SS will not be the in thing in 20 years, so I will probably be replacing them by then anyways.

Of coure this is just one man's opinion and shouldn't effect your decision.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 AM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Oh there's builders grade SS- It's just more expensive than a white builders grade appliance, lol.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM

228 posts, read 740,505 times
I just went to a dinner party which a friend of mine has Kitchenaid white gas stove top, refriderator, microwave and wall oven and they are now yellowing around the edges. Pass on white. Stainless yes may take some extra work but always look stainless regardless of time.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post
Knotty Alder Cabinets and either Hickory or Koa wood flooring.
I have knotty alder cabinets and a cork floor and stainless appliances and I like the look. Don't care for white appliances, at least not the ones that are white on white on white. I've seen some that are white with stainless trim or other color trim that aren't bad.

I've never been concerned with what's in fashion, I just like the look of brushed stainless, especially with the warm wood in the rest of the kitchen. You do have to be careful cleaning stainless, though, you can't really scrub
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House