Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 12,354 times

Advertisements

I am surprising my boyfriend with a weekend trip to the Dallas/Fort Worth area for the Cowboys game and we are flying into Houston (saving a lot of $$$ than flying into DFW). Are there any places worth stopping off of I-45 to break-up our 4 hour trip to Dallas?

I appreciate any suggestions! We are from the Northeast and this is our first trip to Texas.

Thanks,
Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
There just isn't much of anything of note between Houston and Dallas. If you need to stop and stretch your legs, take a restroom break, buc-ees is a fun and clean convenience store to stop in. It's huge, quirky souvenir type stuff, foods, and clean, big bathrooms. I think it is in Centerville - other than that - its just highway.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
You can stop and see the giant Sam Houston statue in Huntsville or tour the prison museum.

Farther up the road is one of the best pig-out joints around: Sam's all you can eat buffet in Fairfield. Pay once, and gorge on all the chicken-fried steaks, BBQ, veggies, pies or whatever else suits your fancy. Take the first Fairfield exit going north (I think it's exit 197), go straight through the light and there it is, right in front of you.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Sam Houston statue is about it. Sam's is over rated. Best rest stops are the ones near Huntsville.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
Not much along that route unless you enjoy small hole-in-the-wall places. As noted above Buc-ees is a good place to stop. Kinda like the Wal-Mart of gas stations. Clean restrooms everytime!

Personally I do enjoy small town stops and our regular stops are at Woodys Smokehouse in Centerville and Navarro Pecan Co in Corsicana.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 PM

108 posts, read 233,143 times
How much money could you possibly be saving on airfare to justify a 4 hour drive???

Just don't speed through the small towns. Check your road signs to inform you when you are in one.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,865 times
Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville is worth the stop.

Watch your speed through Palmer (north of Coriscana).

Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,316 times
Another vote here for Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville (it's not much, but it's about the only reason to stop between here and Dallas).

I"m not surprised about the savings, though; airfares are funny things. I was searching flights for San Diego not long ago, told the site to search for nearby airports. Fare about the same between Hobby, Intercontinental and San Diego. The other airport it searched was Austin and it was something like $2,000!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Univ_Texas_Alum_30 View Post
How much money could you possibly be saving on airfare to justify a 4 hour drive???

Just don't speed through the small towns. Check your road signs to inform you when you are in one.
It's really odd, but depending upon what airport you are departing from the price can really vary between the cities within the state you are flying to. To leave out of Hobby to fly to Memphis, TN is much more expensive than to leave out of Hobby to fly to Little Rock, AR. Know a couple of different people who travel to Memphis but fly to Little Rock and drive. Could be the same w/Dallas and Houston for the OP traveler.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
It's a pretty boring drive, but I would agree with Woody's. It's about the only place to stop except for just the basic small town McDonalds stops. They sell all kinds of beef jerky, as well as bar-b-q. I'm not a huge fan of their bar-b-q though. The last time I had it, it was pretty fatty.

As for the airfare, it is true that flying in and out of Dallas can be more expensive. One of my son's is flying to Colorado in a couple of months. He thought it might be cheaper to fly in and out of Dallas than here in OKC. Turns out, his fare out of OKC was $50 cheaper each way and he still connects through Dallas on the same exact flight he considered driving to Dallas to catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston