Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 76,925 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

We are first-time home buyers and considering Westin Homes at Discovery in Spring trail. But right now we met the bottleneck because of the contract issue with them. Although the salesman agreed to give us 30K discount, he insisted that the original base price was written down on the document and "...up to 30K discount" would be shown on it also. We aren't comfortable with that and think it will leave too much space to argue. In other words, it maybe a trap. Did you guys meet same problem before? Or do you have any advise?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 AM

97 posts, read 265,846 times
Do you have your own realtor?o r are you using the salesguy from the builder?

We made the mistake of using the sales guy WHO WORKS for the builder and we were not informed of quite a bit of things..I had a very bad experience with my home..but I may be wrong with this guy.

You need to have everything clear and in the open before you proceed; because i tell you what..you don't want a $4600 tax/escrow bill come almost 1.5 years later like we did because we were not in the loop (we bought a new construction home and were not informed of how high our taxes were going to be).

GET YOUR OWN AGENT. It does not COST YOU anything..the sales people at the new construction homes give you a good incentive because you are not using an agent..but at the end you need to find someone to represent you. I made the mistake of not doing this and it has cost us dearly.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
The contract should be clear, "up to $30K discount" sounds murky.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbuyer11 View Post
Although the salesman agreed to give us 30K discount, he insisted that the original base price was written down on the document and "...up to 30K discount" would be shown on it also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
The contract should be clear, "up to $30K discount" sounds murky.
This.

I'm not sure how a contract (INAL) can even use that phrase, "up to". Your contract should state exactly what you think it should. Or walk away.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM

460 posts, read 2,426,942 times
Default Don't rely just on contract language

Better yet, instead of relying on contract language, prepare a spreadsheet with ALL the costs shown as individual line items. Original/list price, original discount, other discounts (my salesman had an additional $5000 discount, over and above the builder's published discount, in his pocket to use as a last resort - of course I made him use it), price of each option, etc etc etc

Attach the spreadsheet to the contract and HAVE THE SALESMAN DATE AND SIGN IT. Whatever the salesman signs is legally binding on the builder.

Each time there is ANY modification to the price, update the spreadsheet, and have the salesman date and sign.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 76,925 times
Thank y'all very much for your comments. I totally agree. We really like the floor plan and nice view very much. So it's hard to walk away(((. We asked all our friends but nobody met same problem before. We are suffering. We dare not to accept this contract. It's a real big deal for us. If they gave us ZERO discount at last, we couldn't put a word on it.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:57 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,520,415 times
Do they have your earnest money already?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:56 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Tell him he can put that if he puts "up to $XXX,XXX" as the sales price of the house

Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,342 times
There has to be some details missing here. There will be a base price, price of options, and discount. For Example:

250,000 Base Price
35,000 Options
(30,000) Discount

Total Purchase Price: $255,000.

There has to be a miscommunication here. Westin wants to sell homes, not trap you. Have the salesperson draw up the contract so you can look at it. Get an experienced realtor to review it. All builder contracts are pretty basic and should be fairly straight forward.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:09 PM

122 posts, read 477,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
There has to be some details missing here. There will be a base price, price of options, and discount. For Example:

250,000 Base Price
35,000 Options
(30,000) Discount

Total Purchase Price: $255,000.

There has to be a miscommunication here. Westin wants to sell homes, not trap you. Have the salesperson draw up the contract so you can look at it. Get an experienced realtor to review it. All builder contracts are pretty basic and should be fairly straight forward.
This is probably it. My guess is that they aren't going to budge on the base price. The "up to $30k discount" will come in the form of upgrades. If you don't select $30k worth of upgrades, you don't get the full $30k discount. If you select over $30k in upgrades, then you get the $30k off of the upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston