Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 2,956 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there's just as many things you did in public that DO make people uncomfortable. My opinion in this case is nursing makes some people uncomfortable because a)they aren't used to it b)they see it as sexual (purely my opinion), but I think there's evidence to back it up considering we live in one of the most sexual nations/time periods and also a lot of people alive today didn't grow up watching nursing mothers because bottle/formula feeding was very popular from the 50s/60s on. We as people try to live in harmony (clearly it's tough haha), the fact of the matter is you're never going to appease everyone, something is always going to irritate/offend etc. But this isn't just some weird quirk someone does that gets to you, this is a natural act that's been around since the beginning of time, and used to be the only way to feed your child, as well as other mammals (who no one seems to care when dogs/gorillas/cows nurse) do. A vast majority of people take act in this activity (mothers and the babies). While I think some women who choose to be more modest/discrete should have that option, I don't believe it's necessary. If it bothers you, maybe you should try being open minded enough to try understand why, and work on it. We all have things that bother us, that we could improve on, do we not? Or just turn away. I'm not sure if it's where I live or what, but I rarely seem women nursing, and when I do I don't see much but them cuddling their sweet baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 01:29 PM

agreed Ronnie

Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Have you ever thought for a second that people are offended by different things. It may not offend you but it offends other people. There are things that may offend you but not other people. We are not all the same. Why do you get to decide what should offend other people. You say it's not a big deal. Think back on 2011 and how many times someone may have told you "it's not a big deal." Well to the person saying it it's not a big deal but it may be a big deal to you. Also saying " and I don't even have kids" doesn't add weight to your argument. There may be people with kids who are offended by it. Everyone is different. Everyone has something they are offended by. This just happens to be a subject that offends a lot of people which is why it made the news. There are a lot of natural things out there that humans do from day to day but there are also appropriate places to do these natural things. So just saying that it's a natural thing doesn't make it any less offending to some people.

Why is it so hard to be respectful to those around you. If I know that what I'm doing is offending the person next to me then I don't do it. I may have a right to do it and it may be a natural thing but I'm not going to make it a mission to rub it in their face.

Do whatever you want but read a few pages back where that guy said he moved to Houston and was shocked by seeing women nursing in public and how it's an opportunity for him to see some boobs. That statement alone should make someone think twice before they nurse in public.
Westhou I actually agree with you here, and I kind of already explained in another post, but just to quick reference why. You're absolutely right. Different things offend different people. I don't breastfeed nor have children, and I don't think most women (there are always exceptions) seek attention or seek to offend someone when breastfeeding, most women I have talked to merely want to ease their babe's discomfort quickly because trust me, a screaming crying child, is much more distracting/noticeable than a tiny thing nursing. No one chooses what offends someone else, if I'm offended by a smoker (which actually has a negative affect on my health, unlike breastfeeding within close proximity to someone) I simply remove myself from the situation, unless it's absolutely necessary that I don't in which case I suck it up for ten minutes). I think we all try and be respectful, but I don't think breastfeeding is disrespectful on purpose. I may not understand your why offended, and it's not that I don't care, but depending on what is it I may or may not stop doing it. Breastfeeding in public is a big deal to me in that is becomes natural/respected because I don't want my future daughters/sons to have to deal with it. I think it's a shame that not everyone feels the same, and I understand and respect a difference of opinion, however I wouldn't stop doing it and I would encourage other women to continue because that's what helps overcome that situation. I don't want women to rub it in people's faces, because it's their "right". I just want women to do it because it's their right (in and out of law). I think nurse ins are important to gain attention, because obviously it IS an issue. (you didn't mention that, but someone else did, along with this...) maybe it is a thrill to them (although I doubt everyone wants to make the news), or maybe its a cause they're passionate about, and hoping to change, like me, except I can't participate in the same way. Even though it's natural, doesn't mean it isn't offensive, I agree, but the appropriate place to do it wherever your baby needs a feed imo. In reference to the guy in Houston with the boob comment, that doesn't make me want to NOT see nursing mothers, it makes me want to show him that they aren't fun bags for men, but nursing utensils for babies. The fact that he never seen that, just means that maybe women don't feel brave enough to do it in public when needed (maybe if he had seen in, he wouldn't be so surprised), or if they are they're being very discrete/modest which is what a lot of people are rooting for.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Surprised such an old thread was pulled up but since it's here y'all might find this interesting:

Starbucks barista gives breast feeding mother free coffee after woman branded her 'disgusting' | Mail Online

Old 07-05-2014, 07:42 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
This year in the Kroger store near me saw a young breastfeeding mom. Thought aw thats nice. My SO didnt even notice when i asked him after. She was able to feed thus keep her infant quiet while still going through the store to do what she needed to do

Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 AM

62 posts, read 81,594 times
Breastfeeding is an intimate, bonding ritual between the mother and child. I believe it should occur in a secluded atmosphere
where the mother and baby are secure and comfortable. Feeding your infant (either bottle or breast) leaves you both vulnerable to attack, because you're not paying attention to what is going on around you.

I won't bash a woman for feeding in public, I just don't feel that it's wise to do so.
peep

Old 07-09-2014, 11:23 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peep531 View Post
Breastfeeding is an intimate, bonding ritual between the mother and child. I believe it should occur in a secluded atmosphere
where the mother and baby are secure and comfortable. Feeding your infant (either bottle or breast) leaves you both vulnerable to attack, because you're not paying attention to what is going on around you.

I won't bash a woman for feeding in public, I just don't feel that it's wise to do so.
peep
wow this is an old thread...from 2011.

Many people aren't aware that Infants feed about every two hours, and feedings can last 30 minutes or longer. When you consider diaper changing, burping, etc. this can mean less than 1 hour between feedings.

So people who abhor the idea of a mother feeding her baby in public, I guess they believe mothers should not show their face in public until their child is on solid foods? It's just not realistic people, even new moms have a life to live.

I don't particularly enjoy watching two bull dykes petting eachother in public, but I'm secure enough in my own sexuality to not let it ruin my day. If a Nursing mother bothers someone so much, perhaps they should look the other way, or move away.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peep531 View Post

peep
In what world do you live in that breastfeeding moms are often attacked?! Jees montgomery county is just getting worse and worse. Women cant be locked away for our sense of keeping them "safe" as much as it is a bonding thing its also a goddamn i have to feed him again thing.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Why it is such a shocking sight for some people to see boobs doing what nature intended is beyond me.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Medela Swing Breast pump: $130 at Target
Similac Formula Can: $15 at Walmart (of course you will need more than one can)
Bottles: $19 at Target
Breastfeeding: FREE

BF is cheaper, healthier and BETTER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston