Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Never said Houston was pretty. But I would rather live here and have a job, then live some were "pretty" and be broke. Now if you can afford to live some where with nice scenery then more power to you. Trust me if I could afford to live the way I wanted to in Miami, I would be out of here in a heart beat. And I'm native Houstonian.
At least you're honest and I like that. Yes, having a job in Houston is better than having no job in a beautiful part of the country. That is why Houston is growing in this poor economy.

However, when you have someone wealthy like the OP is doing some comparisons, Houston always seems to come up short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
At least you're honest and I like that. Yes, having a job in Houston is better than having no job in a beautiful part of the country. That is why Houston is growing in this poor economy.

However, when you have someone wealthy like the OP is doing some comparisons, Houston always seems to come up short.
Yet, it ranks Top 10 in the country for the most millionaires......

Quote:
For the last two years Houston has enjoyed more growth in the number of High Net Worth Individuals–people with at least $1 million in investable assets (primary homes don’t count)–than any other U.S. city.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbe...onaire-cities/

Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Never said Houston was pretty. But I would rather live here and have a job, then live some were "pretty" and be broke. Now if you can afford to live some where with nice scenery then more power to you. Trust me if I could afford to live the way I wanted to in Miami, I would be out of here in a heart beat. And I'm native Houstonian.
sorry, i misunderstood the context of your statement.
But ya, I too would be gone if I could afford to live the same way in a prettier area.
Houston is like financial quickstand. Once you get here you are stuck!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:52 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Austin is clean, there are no mounds of garbage and debris, there are hills and natural beauty, there are cooler looing buildings and businesses, etc.
You make no sense with some of that, Austin has good and bad areas just like any other city, as a resident I should know. Yes we even have dumps, you think we propel our garbage into space? Evicted all poor people from the city? Sheesh, guess our marketing sure does work good!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
What's with the sudden Austitude within this thread? And by that I mean very obvious ignorance of Houston and somewhat misleading and very subjective descriptions of Austin. This is not going to help the OP.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Like I said in another thread, I'm not especially impressed with the scenery of Austin. As a whole, Houston certainly isn't a great looking city, but for tree lovers, there are plenty of areas that I would consider beautiful.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You make no sense with some of that, Austin has good and bad areas just like any other city, as a resident I should know. Yes we even have dumps, you think we propel our garbage into space? Evicted all poor people from the city? Sheesh, guess our marketing sure does work good!
I am not talking about dumps. There are neighborhoods in Houston that has piles of garbage on the corner lots. I have not seen that in Austin.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I am not talking about dumps. There are neighborhoods in Houston that has piles of garbage on the corner lots.
This is not typical in most of Houston. It's like you close your mind off from all good here and focus on the few blemishes. Doesn't help if you live in a bad area of town. It's a poor habit to keep up. Next thing you know you'll be coming up with things out of thin air like sunderpig and become miserable.
Anyway, as far as seeing a large garbage pile, if it's in city limits perhaps you need to report it to 311.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Seeing billboards/freeways/power lines makes me nervous and uneasy.
Do you just not get on the freeways or major roads around Austin?

Quote:
Here in Austin, I could face a greenbelt with hundreds of acres accessible from a gate on the rear of my property, with hiking and biking trails galore. Houston would never have that.
That's totally false. Why would you think greenbelts don't exist in Houston? Several nice ones along the bayous/creeks. Everyone is not an indoor workaholic either, that's a ridiculous sweeping generalization. Once again, you show your total lack of familiarity/experience with Houston.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Do you just not get on the freeways or major roads around Austin?

I work from home and my house is very close to the greenbelt. It is the life - no traffic, great scenery, and no pollution; friendly, fit and attractive people; and two lakes within 5 miles.

That's totally false. Why would you think greenbelts don't exist in Houston? Several nice ones along the bayous/creeks. Everyone is not an indoor workaholic either, that's a ridiculous sweeping generalization. Once again, you show your total lack of familiarity/experience with Houston.

I didn't say everyone was. I was just saying there is more of a tendency for people in Houston to be that way, because if they were not that way, they would have left. It's no more different than saying Boston is a liberal city or something like that. It doesn't mean everyone there is, but there is a greater chance of someone you meeting being liberal than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston