Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times

Advertisements

I can see this in terms of visitors and tourist attractions (which is what this article is about). I always feel awkward when someone visits me here as I have no clue really what to "showoff" about the city.

I guess Houston is a decent place to live - there are definitely more boring places, but there also tons of more interesting places with equivalent attractions. Overall, it's a good city to live fairly cheaply if you are willing to sacrifice other stuff.

Personally, it's not really for me and I'm off to greener pastures after living here 12 years, but thought it was an interesting article...

World's Most Boring Cities to Visit

EDIT: So this has been making the rounds on the local news, etc. and I just realised it's dated April 2010 - almost two years ago! Weird...

Last edited by mrman78; 04-13-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Shut down oil and gas companies in Houston, and shut down the medical center and see how boring it gets around the world. I tend to think most Houstonians are more concerned about maintaining a really good quality of life as opposed to living in a so-called 'exciting' city.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM

563 posts, read 910,030 times
I can understand the ranking. Houston is a place where you live and work with all the amenities needed nearby to accomplish this. If I didn't live here Houston wouldn't even be on my radar as far as a place to vacation. Now as far as a place to live I think one has a better quality of life here then all of the other places mentioned ($$).

I hope you enjoy your next city. I here depression meds, SAD, suicide and vitamin D deficiencies run plentiful in Seattle. If I were you I would take a picture of the sun before you leave just in case you forget what it looks like or the COL forces you to pawn your camera.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post

I hope you enjoy your next city. I here depression meds, SAD, suicide and vitamin D deficiencies run plentiful in Seattle. If I were you I would take a picture of the sun before you leave just in case you forget what it looks like or the COL forces you to pawn your camera.
Now that is one helluva sendoff... lol.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,542 times
it has always been my view if you cant find things to do in a city of 2.2 million people, your prob a boring person to begin with..I have found things to do in towns no larger than my high school..truth be told if your not a avenures person you will be bored no matter where you are..

You know what I just notice about this article the person never talks from a personal view point, its what they read and what they heard, so hmmm how you going to give a honest view on places you have never even been?

Last edited by Truth713; 04-13-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times
Yet again, SteveArmy's/Wysiwyg's presence is sorely missed - for the litany of amusing negatives he would have conjured up...

Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I don't think Houston is boring. However I don't find it as exciting and vibrant as its peers of Philadelphia, Boston, or San Francisco. Houston is known as a great place to live and work but a terrible city to visit. It's not a city one would think about vacationing in. On the flipside, cities like New Orleans and even Miami to an extent are known as great cities to visit but terrible cities to live in.

Part of this is Houston's fault. I think if they had better connection via mass transit, that would help tremendously. Also, the fact that Houston doesn't market itself is the biggest problem. Nobody knows about Houston's theatre seats or it's arts districts unless a message board poster tells them.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I like the fact that Houston is boring.
Let other cities like Miami, Las Vegas, etc. be "exciting" and deal with all the problems that come with that.

Did you guys see the cities that they have as "boring"?
Zurich, Singapore, Wellington...
what the h... do they consider an "exciting city"? Detroit? Ciudad Juarez?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 PM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times
What a piece of junk this article is. I agree that Houston is not the most exciting city for tourists. However, I have been to almost all the other cities in the list and to call them boring is pretty silly. I wonder if the author has ever been to the cities he lists. I have definitely been to many far more boring places than his list.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I like the fact that Houston is boring.
Let other cities like Miami, Las Vegas, etc. be "exciting" and deal with all the problems that come with that.

Did you guys see the cities that they have as "boring"?
Zurich, Singapore, Wellington...
what the h... do they consider an "exciting city"? Detroit? Ciudad Juarez?
lol! That's pretty funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston