Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 PM

74 posts, read 124,669 times

Advertisements

We've just received news that DH and I are expecting our first child in June!!!!!

Of course, after we've absorbed the good news, the reality is starting to sink in. Both of us will continue working full time after the child is born, so we need to find quality (and preferably affordable) day care. I will get 12 weeks off, but we will need infant care for a while after that.

We live in Oak Forest, and our preference is to find a good day care nearby so that we can share the dropoff/pickup duties. (It's also more convenient for Grandma if we need a little help.) However, we're willing to consider child care near either of our jobs if the quality is better.

I work in downtown. My DH works at I-10 and Eldridge. Both of us have somewhat flexible hours, but DH likes to work 6:30-4 to beat traffic and my hours are usually 8:30-5:30 currently.

We would appreciate all recommendations regarding day cares/in-home child care/etc. Also, any information that you could provide about appropriate times to get on waiting lists, places with great educational programs (obviously when the child is older), hours of operation, pricing, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,977 times
For us, location is nearly as important as quality. There are lots of good day care establishments inside and along the loop, so make sure that the one you choose is convenient to both of you, not just one of you. My partner and I both work very close to ours which is fantastic, because if one of us is sick, or one or the other (or both) of us have had to stay late at the office (meetings run long, etc.), it keeps the other from having to fight rush hour traffic (and the stress that goes with it) trying to take or pick up our child. It happens way more often than we thought it would, and if it was just up to one or the other of us to take AND pick up, we would have run into problems.

Another benefit of one close to home is that if you are taking the day off and want to take your child to day care (yes, you WILL want to do this, LOL), you don't have to basically drive to the office and back to do so.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,524,605 times
Congrats! Also worth considering is a nanny to take care of your child in your own home. Infant daycare might run around $1500/month, but you may be able to have a nanny work 8-4 for about the same amount. And you won't have to bother with running them to/from daycare, which can be a time saver in itself. My wife and I have a nanny for our infant daughter and have been quite happy with the arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: