Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM

117 posts, read 229,665 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything. I just thought that the bit about Houston was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Anyone who thinks that Buenos Aires, Chicago, and Berlin are overrated are either mentally insane or on drugs.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Yeah, but it says to visit Houston instead of Austin.
Well, the New York Times did a list of the 100 cities to visit in 2013. Only one US city made the list, and that was Houston at number 8. They gave credit to the arts and restaurants of Houston.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
I don't know...I just spent a week in Austin and it was awesome. It seems to me that how good a time you have somewhere has more to do with the visitor than the place.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Houston's that girl that may not be that pretty on the outside, but at least she'll make a good wife. She might even do some kinky stuff.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
also known for being spread out

Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Do you understand what the term "overrated" means? It means people ALREADY have very high expectations of those places and often, those expectations let you down. I think SF is a nice area but when I spent time there, my basis for SF was what I saw in the movies and pictures. Always sunny, always clean, bright, warm, exciting, etc. The reality was it was cold, damp, full of homeless everywhere, dirty, crowded, expensive, foggy,etc. So yes, to me it was over rated but that was because my expectation was so high. Same with NY. Same with Chicago. The problem cities like Chicago and NY have to people moving there is most of their image of those cities comes from movies which often create very picturesque scenes and color. Even today when I watch a film about NY I get pissed that they make it look spotless, with no minorities and everyone is living in style in some hip, cool, loft in SOHO. VERY far from reality!
It's simple. The author of this article is taking a contrarian position in order to get picked up and re-tweeted. It's an old tactic and apparently, it works.

I actually read this thread on my iPhone, while wearing short sleeves at 9:30 pm on an open-air cable car, winding its way up a spotless Russian Hill, with sidewalk cafes buzzing in the warm, clear March San Francisco night. For the last couple of blocks walking home, I ducked into a sports bar full of half Warriors and half Giants fans, all happy and cheering their heads off. Two bars and two restaurants in the those blocks along my way had either $1.00 or $2.00 tacos for Taco Tuesday. One even had $2.00 margaritas, too. All were full, enjoying the inexpensive neighborhood (non-tourist) options. The homeless congregate where the tourists go. Visitors are more likely to give up a dollar. Again, you missed out by not venturing beyond the tourist areas.

Out my office window this afternoon, it was so clear, I could make out near perfect details on Mt. Tam and Mt. Diablo which are miles and miles away. The Bay was deep, dark blue. The clean, palm tree-lined Embarcadero was jammed with people loading up on a huge cruise ship and Giants fans making their way to the ballpark on foot. The farmers market was on and food tents in front of the Ferry Building were cooking coal-fired pizzas, ramen, tacos, burgers, udon and more. A lot of people chose to eat by the waterfront and soak up the sun. Street cars buzzed up and down it and Market. It was very lively.

You mentioned in another thread that you visited in Winter and seemed surprised it would be cold. It's strange, as a self-professed "numbers guy," that your expectations would be so askew. It's also unfortunate that you seemed to spend all your time in Union Square on a rainy week in Winter.You really should get out and see more of the City to properly evaluate it. We do have the occasional string of cold days when it will rain during the Winter. It still rarely gets as cold as Houston's coldest days during the Winter and never gets as wet. In Spring and Summer, it doesn't rain AT ALL. And fog is only an issue for certain parts of SF and then, mostly at night, when I really believe it adds to the City's charm. I love falling asleep next to my open window in Summer to the low drone of fog horns on the Golden Gate Bridge.

SF is one of the sunniest cities in the country. It really is a shame it happened to rain during your week in Union Square.

Nothing against Houston, but Austin is probably a more interesting place to visit. I'd still prefer to live in Houston, as its city amenities far overshadow Austin's.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 AM

142 posts, read 398,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I think Austin lives up to the hype. You need to be into music, art, and food though.
I've lived in Austin for 18 years, and Houston for 10.

I think Houston is at least just as good in the music category, slightly better for art and tons better for food.
In my opinion, the only real category that Austin beats Houston in is the availability of outdoor destinations and activities.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I don't know...I just spent a week in Austin and it was awesome. It seems to me that how good a time you have somewhere has more to do with the visitor than the place.
My Friend please keep up. Not one person has said that Austin is not fun to visit. Its just rated in the minds of Austonians to such a high degree that what comes out of their mouths just sounds stupid.

Austonians have told me that they can't live anywhere else in Texas because the rest of the state is too backwards.

Have heard that Austin is the only fun place in Texas for young people (this young person couldn't wait to get out). That statement sounds better in your head if two things are true:

1. Your white (In color or mentality)

2. You don't give a damn about flavor.

Honestly Austin is anywhere'sville Texas to me. Don't know why the people there seem to think its so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Houston's that girl that may not be that pretty on the outside, but at least she'll make a good wife. She might even do some kinky stuff.
Houston is very pretty to me. Get your butt off the highways. Most street views outside a few choice ghettos are gorgeous. If you get off I 45 you will find that 90 percent of Houston is lush, green and pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAg02 View Post
I've lived in Austin for 18 years, and Houston for 10.

I think Houston is at least just as good in the music category, slightly better for art and tons better for food.
In my opinion, the only real category that Austin beats Houston in is the availability of outdoor destinations and activities.
this post deserves ten reps.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
My Friend please keep up. Not one person has said that Austin is not fun to visit.
Uhm, the headline of the article is, "10 Terribly Overrated Destinations. (And Where To Travel Instead)." Note the last part, "WHERE TO TRAVEL INSTEAD."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston