Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You want crummy, try those trailer trash places out in east houston.
great point.

also a sad, depressed area represented a by democrat in the US House of Representatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
That's what a big percentage of Americans thought about Republicans when Bush was President. Different people think differently.

I'll bet you're perfectly happy with social programs that benefit YOU. It's when they benefit someone else that people like you get upset. I suspect you belong to the "I've got mine" and "let them die" sect. So sad.
Actually I belong to the crowd with the mindset of "I work hard for my lifestyle so don't force me to support lazy idiots who would rather commit crimes than get a job."

In other words "I've got mine so let them work hard for their own."

Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Actually I belong to the crowd with the mindset of "I work hard for my lifestyle so don't force me to support lazy idiots who would rather commit crimes than get a job."

In other words "I've got mine so let them work hard for their own."
Yea except every thing you say is blantely wrong.. for starters most well welfare people actually have jobs at least try to educate yourseld dude.
http://www.benchmarkinstitute.org/t_...fare_myths.pdf

I know actual research is toxic to you folks but it helps.

The funny thing is this lie you tell yourself..

I went to school and did this and that// well barring a rich relative you prob took out a loan, guess who money that was..not the goverment.

That money you borrowed from the bank to by a house...yea banks dont actual have money they use the money of thier clinets to do things like that /I.E its taking the money of the many and giving it to a free, you know socailism

That buniess loan... yeah again banks dont generate revune so where do you think that money is coming from... the people

Last edited by Truth713; 10-07-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Sadly, most of those who are so hateful (extreme conservatives) never miss church. They are false Christians, and an embarrassment to true Christians, of which there are many fortunately.
Show us the data behind this.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
As a Barry Goldwater disciple I fear the contemporary American non thinking Tea Partier would not accept these people in their ranks.
Do you believe there should be a law requiring a balanced budget?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
Houston is a Democrat city, as are virtually all large cities. But the thing to keep in mind with party labels is that they are highly relative to geographic location and the prevailing culture. For instance, a lot of Texas (and southern) Democrats are more conservative than northeastern Republicans (i.e. Chris Christie).

By national standards, I would say that Annise Parker is a moderate to conservative Democrat.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,776 times
I generally think that Houston is set up very conservatively, from a socioeconomic standpoint. For instance, there is a really big emphasis on luxury shopping here, and on the malls as "destinations" in and of themselves. Then again, I am continually surprised at finding cool things here, like the Miller Outdoor theater free performances. If you've moved here from a major city on the east coast, west coast or in the Midwest, it will feel very conservative because of the way it's built, but there are some surprises.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Most urban areas vote for Democrats even in southern states. Parker won the general election 31% and won the run off election 53% of the vote. I am curious to see how Wendy Davis does for governor. I think she might surprise some. We used to have Democrats for majors. I am just glad Perry will be gone.
Really? Don't like success, huh? I am not a huge Perry fan, but wow. He's managed to get us through this nasty recession pretty doggone well. I'm certainly not looking forward to a regime change that would be TOTALLY opposite of that.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Really? Don't like success, huh? I am not a huge Perry fan, but wow. He's managed to get us through this nasty recession pretty doggone well. I'm certainly not looking forward to a regime change that would be TOTALLY opposite of that.
Perry did not do jack squat for the economy of Texas, it was the energy sector that kept Texas afloat, along with the fact that there was never a housing bubble here in the first place.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 AM

872 posts, read 828,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Yea except every thing you say is blantely wrong.. for starters most well welfare people actually have jobs at least try to educate yourseld dude.
http://www.benchmarkinstitute.org/t_...fare_myths.pdf

I know actual research is toxic to you folks but it helps.

The funny thing is this lie you tell yourself..

I went to school and did this and that// well barring a rich relative you prob took out a loan, guess who money that was..not the goverment.

That money you borrowed from the bank to by a house...yea banks dont actual have money they use the money of thier clinets to do things like that /I.E its taking the money of the many and giving it to a free, you know socailism

That buniess loan... yeah again banks dont generate revune so where do you think that money is coming from... the people
First, learn when you are being lied to. Are you really going to believe something put out there by the benchmark institute???? You can do better then that.

Second, There was no student loan for me to go to college, my parents paid for it. There was no student loan for my Husband to go to college, he worked multiple jobs to pay for it.

Third, the money that the bank loaned me to purchase my home....I am fairly certain did not come from the welfare people (these people would never have a bank account, and if they do it would be a very small balance) you referred to in your first statement.

forth, I have never received a business loan.

Most, people that I know, on any kind of assistance - are generally cheating the system. I only know 3 people that receive any kind of welfare and 2 of those, I am fairly certain are cheating the system. I believe in helping those that truly need the help. It's unfortunate, that most who receive the welfare, do not truly need the help.

Banks do generate revenue. Interest charges on loans, credit cards, renting safe deposit boxes. That is revenue for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston