Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:57 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Hmm...yeah, I haven't seen them until just now. Not sure how I feel about this now. I think I'd rather see at least a partial cup of sorts?
Again,
blame God if you find "the human body" to be offensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:47 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
That is one ugly sculpture. Doesn't look very artistic though - just looks odd. That doesn't appear to be right by the playground though if I am looking at the diagram correctly.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:04 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
It's about the convenience and preparation of parenting. As a parent I've taken the time to prepare for the classic awkward questions my children will eventually ask me. What is inconvenient (and downright frustrating) is when I'm blindsided by such questions, in this case while at a public park, where I would have taken my children with no intention of them encountering such "art" or me having to subsequently answer questions about the subject.

Let's be real, no sane parent actually wants their pre-pubescent child to stare at an adult male's penis - whether it's considered "art" or not. At least put that "art" indoors where parents can choose if and when to allow their children to view it. Would any of you as parents have the same open mindedness if it was not that statue but perhaps instead a sleeping bum who carelessly left his junk hanging out? Only if some jerk first called it art, then would it be okay for your kids to stare at his anatomy?

I don't mean to sound as if I'm attacking you as a parent here. Not at all. It just defies my understanding how any parent can prepare - or have to prepare - for all the things kids will come in contact with.

I don't particularly want my sons to stare at an "adult male's penis" now or in their younger years. That is a far cry from seeing a sculpture of one in the park or a museum or a painting or such. Should parents not take their children to art museums?

If some bum in the park was exposed and my kid asked about it, I would explain to them that he was a homeless person and perhaps forgot to zip up his fly or that many homeless people are unfortunately mentally disabled or ill and he might not understand about privacy like we do.

If my children even began to stare, I would remind them that staring is rude and we'd move along. If it was some person who was deliberately showing their privates, I would get another great teaching opportunity to tell them when that happens, they should immediately leave the area, find the grown up they're with, call the cops, whatever.

Why is this hard? Why does this require preparation? It's just life. Teach kids how to deal with it calmly and they wont' get complexes.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Again,
blame God if you find "the human body" to be offensive
Who said I was offended by it. Why bring god into this? Cubism offends me.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:35 PM

129 posts, read 171,058 times
They're ugly as hell. 1000 years in the future archeologists will dig these up and be like --- is this suppose to be? Just shows anything can pass as "fine art" these days - especially by the young hipster crowd. It's not anything comparable to Michelangelo. I think I'll buy a plot o'land in midtown and put a statue of guy taking a big ol poopoo on the grass. It will be very detailed and "correct". Ill put it right across the street from some hipsters townhouses. Then I'll say "hey whats wrong, it's natural, stop being a puritan".

Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Who said I was offended by it. Why bring god into this? Cubism offends me.
Why?
Because God is the one that created our bodies the way they are

Old 09-28-2014, 05:14 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
They're ugly as hell. 1000 years in the future archeologists will dig these up and be like --- is this suppose to be? Just shows anything can pass as "fine art" these days - especially by the young hipster crowd. It's not anything comparable to Michelangelo. I think I'll buy a plot o'land in midtown and put a statue of guy taking a big ol poopoo on the grass. It will be very detailed and "correct". Ill put it right across the street from some hipsters townhouses. Then I'll say "hey whats wrong, it's natural, stop being a puritan".
You may think they are ugly but other's may like it. I actually like the statues. Everyone has different taste in art. I'm sure we could all find some art from hundreds or thousands of years ago and think it's pretty awful so I'm not sure why you think all of a sudden anything can pass as art these days.

I'm curious have you ever taken an art class at the college level?

If not you might think about doing so and you may come to realize that art can go beyond the paintings and sculptures you can buy at Walmart, Target, or Ikea.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
That is one ugly sculpture. Doesn't look very artistic though - just looks odd. That doesn't appear to be right by the playground though if I am looking at the diagram correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
Lol only in Houston.

"Why do you send fools to judge my work?" - Michelangelo

Old 09-28-2014, 09:08 AM

498 posts, read 837,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
"Why do you send fools to judge my work?" - Michelangelo
Surely you're not comparing the work of Jorge Marin to Michelangelo?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:43 AM

122 posts, read 159,570 times
I'm glad Henry Lopez doesn't want to be there anymore. People with sticks up their asses need to stay away from ITL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston