Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:44 AM

122 posts, read 159,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Who said I was offended by it. Why bring god into this? Cubism offends me.
And "pubism" offends a lot of Houstonians, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 AM

129 posts, read 171,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Surely you're not comparing the work of Jorge Marin to Michelangelo?
They're also doing this in the local news articles covering the subject - comparing to Michelangelo's statue of David. An artist is someone who acquires a unique hard earned skill which took years to develop. Art is something which requires the skill and which most people can't replicate. Such as Statue of David.

The differences (for those who don't know):
Statue of David was in the works for over 25 years (Michelangelo did most of it in about 2).
David was magnitudes more difficult due to its weight and size.
David was magnitudes more difficult due to the fact it was carved by hand... out of marble... There was no room for error.
Now I don't know why Michelangelo made him naked since it was based on bible character.... who didn't go walking around naked.

Wings of city didn't require much artistry skill if any at all. Most people could mimic what Marin did. They're molded from clay. I could replicate them, as could any Chinese mold factory. If I made an error I could just, remold it, till it's perfect, 'cause it's clay. Anyone can mold stuff. Thats why I made the comment about anything passing for art these days. As long as it looks cool to some people it can pass for art even if it's just a simple mold. Not to mention Michelangelo's sculpture conveys the feeling he intended it to convey. Wings of city, naked guys in hula-hoops etc.. Nobody knows what it means till after they read what the artist meant by it.

I don't think people are offended so much as a little disgusted. If it wasn't disgusting people would just be walking around naked.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,804,405 times
Quote:
Surely you're not comparing the work of Jorge Marin to Michelangelo?
Nope. Art is personal and instinctive.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,062,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
They're also doing this in the local news articles covering the subject - comparing to Michelangelo's statue of David. An artist is someone who acquires a unique hard earned skill which took years to develop. Art is something which requires the skill and which most people can't replicate. Such as Statue of David.

The differences (for those who don't know):
Statue of David was in the works for over 25 years (Michelangelo did most of it in about 2).
David was magnitudes more difficult due to its weight and size.
David was magnitudes more difficult due to the fact it was carved by hand... out of marble... There was no room for error.
Now I don't know why Michelangelo made him naked since it was based on bible character.... who didn't go walking around naked.

Wings of city didn't require much artistry skill if any at all. Most people could mimic what Marin did. They're molded from clay. I could replicate them, as could any Chinese mold factory. If I made an error I could just, remold it, till it's perfect, 'cause it's clay. Anyone can mold stuff. Thats why I made the comment about anything passing for art these days. As long as it looks cool to some people it can pass for art even if it's just a simple mold. Not to mention Michelangelo's sculpture conveys the feeling he intended it to convey. Wings of city, naked guys in hula-hoops etc.. Nobody knows what it means till after they read what the artist meant by it.

I don't think people are offended so much as a little disgusted. If it wasn't disgusting people would just be walking around naked.
Everything about this post reveals your ignorance about the history and practice of art. I would really love to see you "mimic" these statues. Good luck with that.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:52 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,031,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
Except David didn't strap on a beak and spread eagle in a dance-type pose. For some reason the David looks much more like art to me than that pic in this thread. That looks like one of those mass-produced sculptures you see on someone's end table.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,462,949 times
Here is the information about the artist and how he makes the sculptures.

Bronze Sculptures of Contemporary Artist Jorge Marin in Mexico City#

Lets compare the David sculpture to the Universal Man sculpture.

Attachment 136831

Attachment 136832

Maybe David looks more like art to some because it is not a bronze sculpture.

Last edited by TVC15; 10-24-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM

498 posts, read 838,989 times
Houston's new slogan: "Come And See How Sophisticated We Are, Y'all!"

Old 09-28-2014, 07:39 PM

189 posts, read 224,832 times
Quote:
Best post on this thread.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:22 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,368,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
And "pubism" offends a lot of Houstonians, apparently.
I shouldn't have laughed at that

Old 09-28-2014, 09:31 PM

18,144 posts, read 25,343,286 times
Quote:
Didn't know Houston is the only city that does that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston