Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times

Advertisements

[Mod cut: now orphaned]
Nothing wrong at all with a 10+ year old house (is that actually considered old? Wow...) in First Colony for example, with all of the big nice trees. We bought new but only because the inventory of the 10+ year old homes in established neighborhoods was so low, had competing offers or fell through on inspection. I would have rather had not new, bigger trees, and done some of my own cosmetic updates.

I don't understand what ipuck said initially that people are so sensitive to? It's perplexing. But, whatever.

Last edited by elnina; 03-16-2015 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 PM
SW8

9 posts, read 20,257 times
I live in Avalon at RS too and I have friends who are building here already. The argument about the commute to HWY 59 is always amusing as I spend about 5 minutes getting on 59. Someone on this forum even calculated the fuel costs of the extra minute commute and I couldn't help but LOL.I imagine the HWY 6 option to getting on 59 is longer and may better suit folks leaving at the MS end. SWOPOE also gave an alternative route which people may find useful. It is still a developing area even compared to Telfair and I find it also amusing when people compare RS to older and more established sections of Sugar Land in terms of trees, schools, ETJ etc. It was even incredulous to read someone say that RS is in the middle of nowhere. I would advise anyone considering RS to come, look round ,verify these various claims as facts and make an informed decision. It is good that some people that actually live in the community come on this forum and tell it as it really is. RS will not appeal to everyone.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM

25 posts, read 40,688 times
Avalon at Riverstone to 59 from University is 5 miles.Can anyone spend about 5 minutes getting on 59?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,828 times
It takes me less than 10 minutes every morning since University was open, from LJ Parkway to 59. That's a 99% consistent observation. Not sure about your 5 miles but I am just giving you some of my facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirus1020 View Post
Avalon at Riverstone to 59 from University is 5 miles.Can anyone spend about 5 minutes getting on 59?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:43 PM
SW8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirus1020 View Post
Only way you will know is if you drive it.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 AM

40 posts, read 58,268 times
We bought in Avalon at Riverstone as well (currently under contruction) I have commuted many times to 59 to check during morning peak and evening hours. We are in the closest section of Avalon at riverstone to 59 and everytime it takes me around 7 minutes to drive (driving around 45-50 mph). There are only two traffic lights, if you dont get those even 5-6 minutes is doable at high speed.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:14 PM

951 posts, read 1,453,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskataria1 View Post
We bought in Avalon at Riverstone as well (currently under contruction) I have commuted many times to 59 to check during morning peak and evening hours. We are in the closest section of Avalon at riverstone to 59 and everytime it takes me around 7 minutes to drive (driving around 45-50 mph). There are only two traffic lights, if you dont get those even 5-6 minutes is doable at high speed.
I know people driving hour and a half everyday from Sugarland Telfair area to Galleria

So add more for Riverstone

and I can not believe you guys take this everyday back and forth

You can get a new degree in college with the time you spent on highways for 4 years

LOL

Old 03-17-2015, 03:36 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,986,143 times
It is 5 miles from Winding Waters to 59 at University. Then add another 2 miles to get back on Hwy 6 and 59.

So 7 miles assuming no traffic is 13-15 min.

Those can easily be proof by Google Maps.

The 2 miles during traffic to get back to Hwy 6 is in the morning and evening is at least 7-10 more minutes.

20-30 minutes more each way every day during traffic hour just to get back on hwy 6 and 59.

Location location location.

Last edited by ipuck; 03-17-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 PM
SW8

Folks can easily confirm by actually driving it. I drive this route daily and today, from Avalon at RS to 59, it took approximately 6 minutes on university and this is accounting for the stops at the 3 traffic light along the way. Getting to 59 from other sections of RS will take longer especially those folks living past LJ parkway if trying to connect via HWY 6 but then you make up for this a little by joining 59 further north. Ethanw who actually drive this route stated above it takes him less than 10 minutes from LJ parkway to 59. I got confused by ipuck calculation above because why would I want to get back on hwy 6 and 59 when I am already on 59

Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,828 times
What I didn't mention on that to be honest is that I am always 5 to 10 miles above speed limit (maybe 15) and I leave my house at 6 AM in the morning. But still is a pretty good way to connect to 59. I don't miss HW6. But I am sure in 2 years or more from now the University is going to be as bad as HW6. Is just the nature of growth right.

Just to return the favor I really couldn't resist, so based on "ipuck" assessment we will be anyway screwed, upside down in our houses with bad investments and forced to sell out and downgrade to used houses somewhere in Sugar Land if we're lucky. Forget about equity :-)

I own real estate in 6 different countries and never lost a penny. 9 years ago Hong Kong was upside down and I was under about 40%. It took 5 years to get out of that funk and I am still making OK money on that rental. Enough to pay for itself and me fully pocket the equity. Do you know how much a square meter is in Hong Kong in the Kowloon side

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW8 View Post
Folks can easily confirm by actually driving it. I drive this route daily and today, from Avalon at RS to 59, it took approximately 6 minutes on university and this is accounting for the stops at the 3 traffic light along the way. Getting to 59 from other sections of RS will take longer especially those folks living past LJ parkway if trying to connect via HWY 6 but then you make up for this a little by joining 59 further north. Ethanw who actually drive this route stated above it takes him less than 10 minutes from LJ parkway to 59. I got confused by ipuck calculation above because why would I want to get back on hwy 6 and 59 when I am already on 59
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston