Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be moving with my family (wife and two kids, both under 3 yrs old) to Houston over the next 6 months or so. We really value walkability, which I know is hard to come by in Houston, but I have seen some areas where the WalkScore is fairly high (>85), such as downtown and areas of Montrose.

Downtown is too expensive for a 3BR, so I've been really focused on Montrose.

-How do people feel about the area around where Westheimer and Montrose meet? Is it a relatively safe area? Seems like it has a lot of good restaurants nearby.

-I've noticed lots of price reductions lately. It seems now might be a good time to buy while oil prices are really low. Does anyone disagree?

-Are there other areas I should explore, like the Heights? West U is out of my price range.

Any other input/thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 01:15 AM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
Decent area. Still a lot of street punk kids and drug addicts. Your vehicle will be broken into around there. You should say the westside of the loop because it covers a huge area, not just the trendy spots.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:22 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I would indeed consider the Heights if I were you. With 2 kids soon starting school, I think you decision will ultimately boil down to the individual elementary and maybe middle schools where you buy.

What's your budget? If you give a specific number, you will get a lot more targeted responses.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,813 times
Thanks for your responses. My budget is 650-750K

Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 AM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
You are the reason Houston rent has increased so much. Let me pitch a tent in the back yard as a sign of protest.

Last edited by theone33; 09-18-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
I would look at Oak Forest, its just outside the Loop but has better schools and has many small local places in the neighborhood you can walk to.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:19 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
Look in the Heights in the area zoned to Harvard Elementary School. The Heights is very walkable and has lots of good restaurants. There are good parks for young kids. You should be able to find something nice with 3 bedrooms in your price range. If you don't have a realtor call Amanda Anhorn with Greenwood King. She is an expert in Heights real estate.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I would look at Oak Forest, its just outside the Loop but has better schools and has many small local places in the neighborhood you can walk to.
Oak Forest is a nice area to raise a family. I've used to live and have worked in the area for years and I honestly can't think of a single place to walk to.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenstinator View Post
Hi,

-How do people feel about the area around where Westheimer and Montrose meet? Is it a relatively safe area? Seems like it has a lot of good restaurants nearby.
The intersection of Westheimer and Montrose has long been a hangout for transient kids due to the nearby runaway shelter Covenant House. That said, the area around there is very safe. I'd look roughly in the area bounded by Montrose to the east, West Dallas to the north, 59 to the south and S. Shepherd to the west.
Granted that's basically all of Montrose but you can go to HAR.com and they have a map tool where you can draw to show available houses.

You can also check a few streets south of 59 but the cost of real estate grows as you get closer to Rice University.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Oak Forest is a nice area to raise a family. I've used to live and have worked in the area for years and I honestly can't think of a single place to walk to.
I live in Section 1. From my house I can walk to Kroger, Starbucks, Plonk!, Berryhill, Sweet Frog, the Chill and Oak Forest Park plus of course Oak Forest Elementary to get the kid. Petrol Station and Wakeforest Crow Bar are also in walking distance but you would need to cross Ella. So to put a caveat on it, Oak Forest is a big neighborhood and walk-ability is variable dependent on which part you are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: