Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM

246 posts, read 895,276 times

Advertisements

This data is 2004. The most update one should be released later. I watch TV news everyday, I am sure crime rate is increasing since 2005. You know after hurrican?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime; US average = 328.4)

Sugar Land 202.0
Katy 348.5
Belaire 232.2
Houston 677.3

Austin 419.3

All of these cities, and Sugar Land has the lowest crime index.
People who think Sugar Land has a crime problem don't know what they're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2006_4208554

Most area counties see drop in crime / 2005 statistics show Fort Bend had lowest rate

Houston-area suburbs saw crime rates drop in five of six counties last year, according to the latest statistics released by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Fort Bend County had the lowest crime rate per capita at 2,487 per 100,000 people last year while Galveston County had the highest among area counties at 4,444 per 100,000. In addition to Fort Bend, Chambers, Brazoria, Liberty and Montgomery counties also saw decreases in their per capita rates last year compared with 2004.

"Public perception seems to be that crime is up all over, but this proves that you are less likely to be a victim of crime in Fort Bend County than anywhere else in the greater Houston area," Healey said.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 PM

246 posts, read 895,276 times
How about harris county?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2006_4208554

Most area counties see drop in crime / 2005 statistics show Fort Bend had lowest rate

Houston-area suburbs saw crime rates drop in five of six counties last year, according to the latest statistics released by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Fort Bend County had the lowest crime rate per capita at 2,487 per 100,000 people last year while Galveston County had the highest among area counties at 4,444 per 100,000. In addition to Fort Bend, Chambers, Brazoria, Liberty and Montgomery counties also saw decreases in their per capita rates last year compared with 2004.

"Public perception seems to be that crime is up all over, but this proves that you are less likely to be a victim of crime in Fort Bend County than anywhere else in the greater Houston area," Healey said.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
How about harris county?
Harris County has seen a rise in many crimes. This article was about suburban counties only.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,520 times
looking up statitistics for Katy is meaningless. The city of Katy is a very small community north of I-10. Katy Area is a large unincorporated area comprised of numerous master planned communities. Information about Katy area is not included in statistics for the city of Katy.

Crime rate is very low in Katy area, especially violent crime. Even in the city of Katy, city-data statitistics show no murders in the city of Katy for the 6 years listed. What has driven the crime rate up for the city of Katy is burglaries, coinciding with the development of Katy Mills mall, which resides within the city's boundaries. The population of Katy is only 13,000 - in any city of that size, a large mall will exaggerate a town's crime rate. The city of Katy and Katy area are both safe places to live. You just can't compare Katy area to any other city by looking at the city of Katy's stats.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:33 AM

61 posts, read 273,355 times
We are from the bay area too. You will not believe how many people from the bay area are in KATY! I couldn’t believe it either. Consider this, you know what can happen to Real Estate in Ca. Learn from it and choose wisely. Katy has the BEST schools hands down. This is why we are going over there. Sugar land has developed further along than Katy however believes me; Katy is well on its way with more! Homes in Katy took a rise from last year. Although you will not expect to gain equity as much as we do in Ca its still best to get in now. Rather than paying 10K more 6 months down the track. There are many master planned communities in Katy. And taxes are high (well technically we pay the same in CA but their homes are 650K more!). You can see where your tax dollars are spent though. The schools are amazing. I actually was going to send my son to a private school until I toured the schools and got to know how it works here and they are 100% better than CA. Even the "bad" schools in Houston are better than the "good" school in California. My son went to a highly acclaimed public school in the bay area and it was NOTHING compared to his school now. Crimes in Sugar land are up! Watch the news!!!. Katy is a great place. I am so fussy and I choose Katy. Now I just have to choose a community in Katy.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 27,073 times
thanks for responding. We have started seriously looking at new home communities in the Katy/Sugarland Area. We find a wide ranges of prices and we are trying to figure out safe areas (Does it matter which county you live in ?)to live within both Katy and Sugarland. We are looking at new home builders TAylor Woodrow, Perry Homes and highland homes. We want a good media room and we were impressed with the media room design at highland homes. The big attraction with Taylor Woodrow is the water View. We also came across Kimball hill homes at Brigewater place which seems to be much cheaper than other comparable homes in the Katy area ??. Our budget is
400K Max.
Thanks to all of you who choose to respond. We are planning a trip in the Feb/March time frame to take a look at the communities.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 27,073 times
As we continue to look at new home communities, we find new home communities that are more affordable in Harris county area, west side of Houston. Is it a commute issue or are there safety and/or other issues depending on the county you live in ?. Responses from folks who live in the area are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Also, we would love to hear from folks who are planning to move to Katy and/or Sugarland in the next few months and are looking at new home communities.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,388 times
Iam planning to move as well in 2008 to Houston from CA. I find these forum very informative. What new home communities are at the top of your list ?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:07 PM

24 posts, read 220,006 times
Smile Katy Neighborhoods

We have lived in Katy for 8 years and in three different neighborhoods. All three houses were newly built (Pulte, Brighton, Imperial). If your price limit is $400k, I would recommend these neighborhoods in Katy-Falcon Point Estates (golfcourse homes), Seven Meadows, parts of Cinco Ranch, Woodcreek Reserve, Firethorne, and Grand Lakes. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston