Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:35 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I'm astonished that this thread has rolled downhill into a big bag of poo.
No it hasn't, there's a decent conversation going on. Stop trying to point it in a direction so it can get closed, it's clear that a lot of you don't want to talk about this so just find another thread to troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:44 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
No it hasn't, there's a decent conversation going on. Stop trying to point it in a direction so it can get closed, it's clear that a lot of you don't want to talk about this so just find another thread to troll.
Do you want to talk about it? Some great responses have been given here that you haven't addressed.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Do you want to talk about it? Some great responses have been given here that you haven't addressed.
I'm just now catching up on the responses, I just don't like the typical "this is turning into a POS" response when it's clear that people would rather not talk about this.

Give me a couple minutes to read the last 2 pages.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
You are not understanding what diversity means to them.

It means I won't be the only minority in my neighborhood. It means I won't get stared at when I go to a restaurant and eat. It means I can live the american dream without people giving me roadblocks.

Moving to a new area is hard already. A support network is extremely useful, especially if you don't know the language or understand the culture. Being able to sit down and have a bowl of Wonton noodle when you are an Asian for example is extremely comforting.
Here's your answer.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,299,452 times
People don't like using search feature of this site. Also important threads should be made sticky here. Over period of time I have read amazing threads about relocation to Houston on here and where to buy a house and school comparisons. People have spend countless hours to give valuable information. Yet the information is not available in sticky. If someone has a question they should be directed towards the sticky link. Thats how it works in other forums.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Why would you assume I'm a "typical Caucasian" and what exactly does that mean?
It means average white guy.

I'd guess that because you single everyone else out for complaining except white people, and likely being white and living in the US you've never been put in a situation where you've felt like a minority or uncomfortable within the greater society.

It's not an insult or a detrimental thing, but it is likely the source of your original comment.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It means average white guy.

I'd guess that because you single everyone else out for complaining except white people, and likely being white and living in the US you've never been put in a situation where you've felt like a minority or uncomfortable within the greater society.

It's not an insult or a detrimental thing, but it is likely the source of your original comment.
I didn't single anyone out for complaining, I'm curious as to why people claim to seek out a city that offers diversity then they seek out a neighborhood in that city that contains as little diversity as possible.

I'm not an average white guy and I've been in many situations where I felt like a minority.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Diversity is not being comfortable myself. It also means whether others are comfortable with us.
I'm not sure what you're talking about but diversity in the context of this conversation is "the state of having people who are different races or who have different cultures in a group or organization". It's pretty clear what type of diversity we're talking about, we aren't talking about diversity in gardening or diversity in cabinet hardware.

There are quite a few instances just recently where people have started threads in this forum in which they praise Houston for being one of the most diverse in the United States while asking where they should look to find the largest ______ population because they want to live around people who are either their race or culture. The fundamental question is why would anyone praise Houston for being diverse then seek out a place to live which is the exact opposite of diversity? If diversity is something to be praised why wouldn't these people look for a diverse area to live in?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
Quote:
There are quite a few instances just recently where people have started threads in this forum in which they praise Houston for being one of the most diverse in the United States while asking where they should look to find the largest ______ population because they want to live around people who are either their race or culture. The fundamental question is why would anyone praise Houston for being diverse then seek out a place to live which is the exact opposite of diversity? If diversity is something to be praised why wouldn't these people look for a diverse area to live in?
You keep asking the same question. Here are the answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Because you're moving to a new city and absent local knowledge one has to assume that if a certain demographic likes living in a particular spot I might like living there too.

Once you get here and live here awhile, you might change your mind but in the meantime the safe bet is good move, pun intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Because it's possible to enjoy diversity as well as the comfort of being around people you have more in common with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
You are not understanding what diversity means to them.

It means I won't be the only minority in my neighborhood. It means I won't get stared at when I go to a restaurant and eat. It means I can live the american dream without people giving me roadblocks.

Moving to a new area is hard already. A support network is extremely useful, especially if you don't know the language or understand the culture. Being able to sit down and have a bowl of Wonton noodle when you are an Asian for example is extremely comforting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Everyone? That's a pretty big generalization.

I know when I moved here, I had my ideas of what I wanted, but used my co-workers as a reference and ended up settling in an area where there were a few people from my company at already.

Look at it this way, if you, and I'm assuming you're a typical caucasian, moved to Beijing tomorrow, how would you decide where to go/live? The easiest way would to be to talk to people who are the most like you, since they've probably gone through a similar process. That doesn't mean you want everything to be just like home, it just that it provides a frame of reference into what can be a totally alien landscape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Because people can enjoy diversity but still prefer to
Live around the comfort of those who are similar or have same language and culture or skin. . It's often human nature with no racist motives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Enjoying diversity doesn't mean that you can't try to find people with similar culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Diversity is not being comfortable myself. It also means whether others are comfortable with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_transplant_in_Houston View Post
Like Americans are not guilty of going to other countries and setting up their own ex-pat enclaves with their own schools and own medical facilities ? It is natural to find familiarity when you're new to a place so don't be so butthurt when people don't immediately go tailgating at a football game as soon as they get here. It takes time to assimilate and it is very possible to enjoy both worlds while we enjoy theirs. I love being able to have enjoy everything from Pakistani food to bangers and mash in Houston and enjoy the different festivals they have downtown.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 AM

465 posts, read 257,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
there is hard data which illustrates how so-called diverse people are statistically more likely to commit crime against my person or my property.

i'd rather be as safe and as crime free as possible, so i will let other morons who clamor for diversity have it.

diversity is a liberal concept which says you must tolerate people who are unlike even though data says there is a higher chance they will commit crime.
Pretty disappointing. Even more disappointing that people agree with you. The statistics say that you are most likely to be assaulted or violated by someone of your own race...but don't let a little thing like facts get in the way of you categorizing everyone who doesn't look like you as thugs and criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston