Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I haven't gotten any answers, all I've gotten are excuses from people. You can't be a champion of diversity while secluding yourself and your family from people of other races and cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:28 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
I haven't gotten any answers, all I've gotten are excuses from people. You can't be a champion of diversity while secluding yourself and your family from people of other races and cultures.
SECLUDING means keeping yourself away from something, all the time. If that something is cultural / ethnic "others" then that's a pretty big task, assuming you spend a lot of time outside your home and neighborhood (for example, commuting somewhere else to work).

That's different from wanting to live in a neighborhood amongst a population that's similar ethnically or culturally, where you'll spend a significant yet still just partial share of your time.

I can easily see someone who is quite willing to partake of / enjoy the greater diversity of the larger area population but still have "their own kind" to be around them residentially.

That said, even the latter preference is going to be harder and harder to pursue due to the general diversification of Houston and Texas (and much of the nation, outside the Midwest / New England / Austin and Portland). Unless you're Hispanic, in which case it's getting easier and easier to live a full life without exposure to other ethnicities / cultures due to the sheer expansion of the Hispanic population.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:29 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Those equating diversity to increased risk of crime seem to be overlooking the fact that during the last 25 years, when diversity of Texas' and Houston's populations have increased substantially, violent crime has dropped dramatically.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:43 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,615 times
Quote:
What's so hard to figure out? Do you honestly not see the humor in someone moving to a city because of it's diversity then immediately start looking for a place to live that is predominately filled with people of their race/culture?
It would be humorous if that's what was going on, but it's not, and your assumption is incorrect. I already described the very logical reason for it all, so will not repeat myself. Maybe you should just ask someone who fits the description and get a first-hand explanation from them, to clarify what is going on.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM

139 posts, read 155,652 times
Quote:
You're assuming these people never step foot outside of their neighborhood. It is possible to enjoy both worlds.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Those equating diversity to increased risk of crime seem to be overlooking the fact that during the last 25 years, when diversity of Texas' and Houston's populations have increased substantially, violent crime has dropped dramatically.
This is really good to know!

Old 01-06-2016, 02:44 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,030,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
SECLUDING means keeping yourself away from something, all the time. If that something is cultural / ethnic "others" then that's a pretty big task, assuming you spend a lot of time outside your home and neighborhood (for example, commuting somewhere else to work).

That's different from wanting to live in a neighborhood amongst a population that's similar ethnically or culturally, where you'll spend a significant yet still just partial share of your time.

I can easily see someone who is quite willing to partake of / enjoy the greater diversity of the larger area population but still have "their own kind" to be around them residentially.

That said, even the latter preference is going to be harder and harder to pursue due to the general diversification of Houston and Texas (and much of the nation, outside the Midwest / New England / Austin and Portland). Unless you're Hispanic, in which case it's getting easier and easier to live a full life without exposure to other ethnicities / cultures due to the sheer expansion of the Hispanic population.
So just to be clear, you're ok with someone who openly wants to live in a neighborhood among a population that's similar ethnically or culturally? You're ok with someone wanting to live around people of "their own kind"?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
Quote:
So just to be clear, you're ok with someone who openly wants to live in a neighborhood among a population that's similar ethnically or culturally? You're ok with someone wanting to live around people of "their own kind"?
I see where this is headed.

Question: "Why does everyone complain about white people wanting to live among other whites?"

Answer: "Because you're moving from Spring to Katy. Not from Pakistan to Houston."

Old 01-06-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_transplant_in_Houston View Post
You're assuming these people never step foot outside of their neighborhood. It is possible to enjoy both worlds.
I'm not assuming that at all, I'm not even talking about where people hang out outside of their home. I'm talking 100% where people want to LIVE, where they want to rent or buy a home. People regularly want to move to a diverse city like Houston then they look for a community filled with people mostly of the same race or culture to live in. I don't see the logic in that, sorry.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I see where this is headed.
Is it headed towards you coming up with a logical answer because that would be super cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston