Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 07:35 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
When you look at where in Texas, Tech companies from out of state (Cali) are locating it is obvious that they are showing a marked preference for Texas cities that have ERO ordinances. Its not just coincidence.

"California saw most of its departures from the southern part of the state and the middle of the state — from the San Francisco Bay area straight across the Central Valley into what’s called Gold Country.
Of all U.S. cities, Austin was No. 1, gaining 86 California corporate sites or expansions. Dallas ranked sixth (20 companies), San Antonio was No. 8 (16), Houston was No. 11 (11), Plano and Irving tied with Hillsboro, Ore., for No. 13 (9) and Fort Worth tied with Tempe, Ariz., for No. 14 (8)."

Economic snapshot: Is Texas the new California?

Plano had 9 relocations to Houstons 11 and Plano is 1/10th of Houston's size. Plano went out of its way to pass a ERO because they want that business and are pragmatic about attracting relocations.
RIIIIIGHT....and it had NOTHING at all to do with climate, employment pool, or previous infrastructure?

California has a moderate climate...the CLOSEST you are going to get to that is the Hill Country....California has the left is good, liberal mentality, coincidentally, so does Austin.

Perhaps, the ordinance is not what makes the difference, but its the employees, and where the employees they need are willing to live.

Also coincidentally, Austin already has a tech infrastructure....its been home to Dell for a long time...Similarly, Dallas and Plano, have had TI, Raytheon, Lockheed for a very long time....But NONE of those things matter, only some silly ordinance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Houston alarm bell? Even healthcare is slowing down - Houston Chronicle

Old 08-11-2016, 08:54 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
RIIIIIGHT....and it had NOTHING at all to do with climate, employment pool, or previous infrastructure?

California has a moderate climate...the CLOSEST you are going to get to that is the Hill Country....California has the left is good, liberal mentality, coincidentally, so does Austin.

Perhaps, the ordinance is not what makes the difference, but its the employees, and where the employees they need are willing to live.

Also coincidentally, Austin already has a tech infrastructure....its been home to Dell for a long time...Similarly, Dallas and Plano, have had TI, Raytheon, Lockheed for a very long time....But NONE of those things matter, only some silly ordinance.

Those cities do not consider their ERO's as "silly" they understand they are a important symbol of tolerance and understanding that appeals to the Tech savvy frame of mind. I never intended to imply that Houston would somehow share equally in Tech corporate relocations and new start ups by passing a ERO ordinance, but it makes it that much more difficult to compete for that business without one. The evidence is clear but I'm sure many will continue to ignore it at all cost...

BTW Houston has had HP, BMC Software and others for a long time as well so don't act like there is no Tech infrastructure here to build on.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:16 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:

I'll tell you this much because I know it to be true. Had Plano not passed an ERO, Toyota would not be there.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times

Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Not exactly the Hero ordinance is part of the discussion because some believe it would help attract more business to improve the local economy. So not totally derailed.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:35 PM

51 posts, read 108,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Between June 2015 and 2016, this was the job growth by metro area:

Los Angeles +221,300
[...]
Houston +5,200
[/url]
I doubt that these numbers can be just interpreted as they suggest. When looking at another census data sheet I found the following:
Table 4. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and selected area, not seasonally adjusted
Quote:
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale(1) -Civilian labor force
June 2015 4,996,370
June 2016 5,041,819
That means the raw numbers for employment in LA have risen from June 15 to June 16 by 45449 more persons being employed.

However the numbers quoted by the OP suggest that 221,300 new jobs have been created.

Of course both numbers are correct but they could include different things:
- for example the 221K LA jobs could be majorly temporary jobs
- Jobs are statistically recorded differently in the 2 states

I couldnt find more information on how the number of new jobs are being calculated...

Old 08-11-2016, 03:16 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Those cities do not consider their ERO's as "silly" they understand they are a important symbol of tolerance and understanding that appeals to the Tech savvy frame of mind. I never intended to imply that Houston would somehow share equally in Tech corporate relocations and new start ups by passing a ERO ordinance, but it makes it that much more difficult to compete for that business without one. The evidence is clear but I'm sure many will continue to ignore it at all cost...

BTW Houston has had HP, BMC Software and others for a long time as well so don't act like there is no Tech infrastructure here to build on.

I don't have a problem with tolerance and understanding...I took issue repeatedly over HERO due to the hardship it places on business in Houston. HERO went too far. It created penalties for employers, and required additional facilities without funding them.

Pass an ordinance fine, but adding the penalties and requirements added to business went too far.

And I do still think the other cities think its silly...but people say and do silly things for money all the time. Everyone has a price.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:21 PM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:

False.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:22 PM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with tolerance and understanding...I took issue repeatedly over HERO due to the hardship it places on business in Houston. HERO went too far. It created penalties for employers, and required additional facilities without funding them.

Pass an ordinance fine, but adding the penalties and requirements added to business went too far.

And I do still think the other cities think its silly...but people say and do silly things for money all the time. Everyone has a price.
Give it a rest. Companies, as the 21st Century is going on, are realizing more and more that hate is to be left back in the past where it belongs, and see that people with great skill sets can be employed, no matter their disposition or traits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston