Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Don’t believe the hype: HB2 hasn’t hurt N.C. economy

For North Carolina,

▪ Nearly 5,000 new jobs have been announced since March.

▪ Moody’s reported that North Carolina’s 2016 year-to-date revenue growth has outpaced the 20 largest states’ average by more than 2-to-1.

▪ North Carolina’s unemployment rate returned to pre-recession levels at 4.9 percent and is down in all 100 counties since 2013.

▪ S&P, Moody’s and Fitch affirmed North Carolina’s AAA credit rating, citing the state’s continued diverse economic expansion.

▪ CNBC moved North Carolina from #9 to #5 in the ranking of best states for business.

▪ North Carolina ended the fiscal year with a $425 million revenue surplus.
I don't suppose you noticed that this article was written by the governors budget director?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 10:36 AM

I don't believe there is much correlation between ERO's and growth or lack their of. I support ERO's because I believe that gay people should get the same benefits as we heteros. They should be able to marry, have and/or adopt kids, and have all the same financial benefits. They should be able to list each other on insurance and no religion should be allowed to discriminate against that. I believe the same for Trans people. They have been using the bathrooms they identify with as long as they have existed. Why is it now an issue?

It has nothing to do with the economy. Homosexuals and Trans people should be able to live their lives discrimination free.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm sure you are aware this is something that is forward looking no? For instance the nba moved the 2017 all star game specifically because of this. How does that figure into your "numbers" ? Also of obvious note just because you are up doesn't mean this hasn't had a negative impact. It's possible to have job growth but less than you would have had otherwise if not for this issue. I know this is all common sense and overly obvious but you must have overlooked it
Bottom line is NC has had the fastest growing economy in the U.S. since 2016, and you have to resort to insults because you are butthurt due to that fact, and the fact that embracing transgenderism is a money losing proposition. We will see what happens though, as you and yours keep wishing for gloom and doom via dopey blogs.

BTW, if you saw the "economic impact" of a single All Star game you'll notice it is chump change vs ONE large oil, gas or chemicals job. Unfortunately for you, NC and the 2nd largest banking / finance center in the U.S. will be unfazed.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:47 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I don't believe there is much correlation between ERO's and growth or lack their of. I support ERO's because I believe that gay people should get the same benefits as we heteros. They should be able to marry, have and/or adopt kids, and have all the same financial benefits. They should be able to list each other on insurance and no religion should be allowed to discriminate against that. I believe the same for Trans people. They have been using the bathrooms they identify with as long as they have existed. Why is it now an issue?

It has nothing to do with the economy. Homosexuals and Trans people should be able to live their lives discrimination free.
I happen to agree with most everything you said there....I don't think the HERO ordinance would bring business to Houston...but I have no issue whatsoever with gay people having the right to be recognized by the state and federal government for insurance, and other tax issues.

I took issue with the financial penalties in the HERO ordinance, and anyone who thinks TECH companies or any other company of value would not move to Houston b/c of an ordinance. That is just silly propaganda nonsense.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:50 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Homosexuals and Trans people should be able to live their lives discrimination free.
How about atheists?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
How about atheists?
100%. We either have to be able to discriminate about everything or nothing.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I took issue with the financial penalties in the HERO ordinance, and anyone who thinks TECH companies or any other company of value would not move to Houston b/c of an ordinance. That is just silly propaganda nonsense.
Actually tech companies, if any companies, would be the ones not to come for not having an ERO. They tend to be some of the most liberal. But Houston is not a magnet for tech and probably wont be unless something drastically changes. It renders it moot.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:57 AM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
How about atheists?
Everyone deserves a right to live freely without unfairness of systemematic discrimination. With that said, I believe atheists are protected under law already, whereas LGBT people aren't.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:00 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Peter, I don't think anyone is saying that they'd deny rights to the lgbt. That's not what this is about. It's about believing that the HERO ordinance would be a boon for economic growth in Houston, even if it is just tech. That's silly. A city ordinance wouldn't make Houston strong again.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 08-10-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 11:11 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Bottom line is NC has had the fastest growing economy in the U.S. since 2016, and you have to resort to insults because you are butthurt due to that fact, and the fact that embracing transgenderism is a money losing proposition. We will see what happens though, as you and yours keep wishing for gloom and doom via dopey blogs.

BTW, if you saw the "economic impact" of a single All Star game you'll notice it is chump change vs ONE large oil, gas or chemicals job. Unfortunately for you, NC and the 2nd largest banking / finance center in the U.S. will be unfazed.

I'm not butthurt at all nor did I result to insults or doom and gloom. I'm not sure if you are confusing me with some other poster but you seem entirely off base in your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston