Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times

Advertisements

Again, they are more similar than they are different. Texan gays of all stripes like to contrast the two (and then throw in Austin and San Antonio for good measure...yawn), but the reality is that if you find a good job in either one, then move there and you will most likely be very content.

So perhaps youl should focus on "non-gay" differences between the two cities: job market, cost of living, weather, etc. They are both shopping powerhouses, though IMO Dallas tends to get more credit than Houston because it is more "known" among the hip and trendy. Oh, and I think Dallas gets more of the best concerts, but again, that's only my opinion and certainly not a reason to pick one city over another! Both have reasonably inclusive (for the South) governments (Houston's mayor has a gay brother, and the controller is a lesbian...I think Dallas' sheriff is a lesbian, but I could be mistaken).

OK, to answer your question...what city for middle aged and older gay guys? Hmmm, I think Houston simply because it is more down-to-earth.

Where are you moving from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
Default from Chicago

Moving from Chicago where I live right in the gay neighborhood.

So, I would probably be most comfortable with Uptown/Oaklawn in Dallas or Montrose in Houston.

I just can't decide which of those two neighborhoods is best for me. Are they pretty similar? What are key differences?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:15 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Have you all heard of Cathedral of hope located in Dallas? It is known as the largest gay church in the world. Very progressive and friendly place without it being "new age" or "cultish"; however, some folks are a bit odd. The congregation is over 2,000!!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Moving from Chicago where I live right in the gay neighborhood.

So, I would probably be most comfortable with Uptown/Oaklawn in Dallas or Montrose in Houston.

I just can't decide which of those two neighborhoods is best for me. Are they pretty similar? What are key differences?
Neither Houston nor Dallas' "gay ghettos" come close to what you have in Chicago. The cities are more suburban in layout and the gay areas aren't as concentrated, probably due to the fact that the car is king here and so there isn't as much walking or street level retail.

Montrose is still considered the gay center of Houston, but the actual residents aren't so gay anymore, thanks to gentrification. In fact, there might be mroe gay people living in the Heights than in Montrose these days! Someone else will have to comment on Oak Lawn as I think it is a touch more gay, but I don't live there.

Finally, as far as "comfort" goes, this isn't Alabama or Mississippi! In either city you can live pretty much anywhere and be comfortable. I don't think I would move out the The Woodlands or Sugar Land, but gays are all over the inner loop in both cities. We just have a stronger presence in some areas (Montrose, Heights, Meyerland, Westbury, Eastwood) than others (any outside the tollway suburb).

Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
I won't be able to help much with your choice because 1) I'm not gay, 2) I've never been to Dallas. But my brother is gay and lived in Houston for several years (now lives in Chicago). He loved it here. Also, I wanted to mention that if you are looking for resources to meet other gay people in the area you choose, check out Meetup dot com. You can do a "Gay Houston" or "Gay Dallas" search and find groups to join that meet up for things like weekly wine tasting, dinner clubs, sports, hobbies, etc. This is a great way to make new friends quickly when moving to a new area. I hope this info is helpful. ~K~

Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 AM

128 posts, read 457,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Neither Houston nor Dallas' "gay ghettos" come close to what you have in Chicago. The cities are more suburban in layout and the gay areas aren't as concentrated, probably due to the fact that the car is king here and so there isn't as much walking or street level retail.

Montrose is still considered the gay center of Houston, but the actual residents aren't so gay anymore, thanks to gentrification. In fact, there might be mroe gay people living in the Heights than in Montrose these days! Someone else will have to comment on Oak Lawn as I think it is a touch more gay, but I don't live there.

Finally, as far as "comfort" goes, this isn't Alabama or Mississippi! In either city you can live pretty much anywhere and be comfortable. I don't think I would move out the The Woodlands or Sugar Land, but gays are all over the inner loop in both cities. We just have a stronger presence in some areas (Montrose, Heights, Meyerland, Westbury, Eastwood) than others (any outside the tollway suburb).
Like Texas, Alabama has spots that are welcoming to the gay and lesbian crowd and spots that are not so welcoming. Actually, this can probably be said of most states. Big cities tend to be more gay friendly than rural areas and small towns. There are some very gay-friendly areas here in Birmingham. How welcome would a gay man feel in Hempstead or Livingston?

Don't pass judgement on Alabama. It's not that different from Texas. Trust me, I've lived in both.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
Default what is "The Heights" area

Someone mentioned a lot of gays living in The Heights. What is this neighborhood like?

What would the advantages/disadvantages be in living in the Heights vs Montrose?

Thanks so much to everyone helping me out here!!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
Someone mentioned a lot of gays living in The Heights. What is this neighborhood like?

What would the advantages/disadvantages be in living in the Heights vs Montrose?

Thanks so much to everyone helping me out here!!
The heights is sort of Houston's neo-hippie, beatnick-yuppie neighborhood. This description may not sound like an endorsement, but its a great place. Its a young neighborhood that has a bit of an Austin feel to it. Lots of good non-chain restaurants, quirky bars, and characterized by low-flood insurance premiums.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
It used to be The Heights was where Montrosians went once they grew up and started having kids. Then it became the cheaper alternative to Montrose, till people started getting priced out of there, too. The Heights feels more like a small town... quieter, more laid-back vibe than The Montrose. It even has its own "downtown". There's lots of crossover... things, people, scenes are kind of mixed up between the two, and a couple other close-in neighborhoods...

Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Does Chicago have a large gay scene?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston