Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 01:56 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
While much of rural Texas is conservative (rural areas in California and New York are conservative too) the population is increasingly becoming urban, so the conservative areas are representing a declining share of the population of Texas.
Interesting how conservative population decline and progress go hand and hand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 04:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
It's a bit outdated, but I think still valid in general.
Houston is not that bad compared to $hitholes like seattle or san francisco.

And increase in liberalism also goes in line with more $hit in the streets. Literally.
Quote:
One of America's wealthiest cities has a huge problem with public poop.

Between 2011 and 2018, San Francisco experienced a massive increase in reported incidents of human feces found on public streets.

In 2011, just over 5,500 reports were logged by the San Francisco Department of Public Works; in 2018, the number increased to more than 28,000.
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...han%2028%2C000.

Quite a good progress, right?

Well I've always been interested in Virginia Beach. Didn't know it is so good. And surprisingly Colorado Springs is a quite conservative place...
And Jacksonville seems to be a true gem!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
And increase in liberalism also goes in line with more $hit in the streets. Literally.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...han%2028%2C000.

Quite a good progress, right?
Actually Houston has been the front runner on managing homelessness, going on a decade. There are plenty of public policy scholars who visit from all over the U.S.--even from Dallas and Austin--to see Houston's solutions and implementation on the issue.

Why homelessness is going down in Houston but up in Dallas | The Texas Tribune

All thanks to the Democratic mayors and city council!

I don't see anyone camping in underpasses around Houston anymore. It's been a while to see people setting up shop for the night there. However, the only encounters I've had with the homeless are panhandlers on street corners during the day.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:49 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Have you ever been to San Francisco or Seattle, Ghost Town? They are both quite nice. I lived in Seattle for a few years, never had any problems. San Francisco does have homeless issues but go to Midtown Houston by the grayhound station and you get the same stuff.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post

Well I've always been interested in Virginia Beach. Didn't know it is so good. And surprisingly Colorado Springs is a quite conservative place...
And Jacksonville seems to be a true gem!
I think its important to note that this chart on conservatism is about Municipal Policies of local governments. Colo Spgs does indeed have a very conservative government policy approach and tends to vote very conservatively in fiscal matters to a point of almost being ridiculous. It usually takes a special ballot measure with very specific criteria of collection and use for taxes to ever get any improvement on things. Colo Spgs also tends to be a very socially liberal city, despite the conservative approach to government and money, and is home to a well established liberal arts college, has a higher percentage of self identifying mixed race persons than nearby Denver, or even Los Angeles, and actually has a lower than national average participation in organized religion despite having some large evangelical organizations.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Have you ever been to San Francisco or Seattle, Ghost Town? They are both quite nice. I lived in Seattle for a few years, never had any problems. San Francisco does have homeless issues but go to Midtown Houston by the grayhound station and you get the same stuff.
I've seen some better times in SF.
Would not prefer to go there again. It looks nicer overall, but there are lots of places in the world that look nicer than Houston.

You can't deny the facts it's getting more and more polluted with human feces. I also can admit I've seen that in downtown Houston as well, but on much lower scale.

Also was quite disappointed in LA lately: too many homeless and mentally unstable people everywhere.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I think its important to note that this chart on conservatism is about Municipal Policies of local governments. Colo Spgs does indeed have a very conservative government policy approach and tends to vote very conservatively in fiscal matters to a point of almost being ridiculous. It usually takes a special ballot measure with very specific criteria of collection and use for taxes to ever get any improvement on things. Colo Spgs also tends to be a very socially liberal city, despite the conservative approach to government and money, and is home to a well established liberal arts college, has a higher percentage of self identifying mixed race persons than nearby Denver, or even Los Angeles, and actually has a lower than national average participation in organized religion despite having some large evangelical organizations.
That's why I was really surprised with that city. As I said above, there are different definitions of liberal and conservative.
I actually lived on the East Coast on the border of DE, MD, PA and NJ states. I would say people there are fairly conservative socially.
And here in Sugar Land there are lots of even ultra conservative people from social point of view. But overall it has reputation of a 'liberal' place.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:51 PM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times
Texas really doesn't need CONSERVATIVES or LIBERALS...we need open minded MODERATES who can have a intelligent conversation with someone without it turning into an emotional political pissing match.

In my opinion, anyone who identifies themselves as a Conservative (far right) or Liberal (far left) is someone I would rather NOT have in our state.

I've seen too many to know exactly how this is going to go.
Why support hate and division?...I just do not.

Luckily, Texas is inching ever closer to becoming a real PURPLE state!

Old 07-27-2020, 04:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...america-215313

Quote:
One of the lessons: There’s a real cost to saving money.

Take the streetlights. Turning them off had saved the city about $1.25 million. What had not made the national news stories was what had happened while those lights were off. Copper thieves, emboldened by the opportunity to work without fear of electrocution, had worked overtime scavenging wire. Some, the City Council learned, had even dressed up as utility workers and pried open the boxes at the base of streetlights in broad daylight. Keeping the lights off might have saved some money in the short term, but the cost to fix what had been stolen ran to some $5 million.
Why live in that hellhole? They spent a dollar to save a dime! Not to mention the threat to public safety having dark public spaces.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:43 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
H'ton, that would mean banning political discourse on Facebook and banning political propaganda on Facebook. Otherwise 85% of the population is going to fall under both categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Texas really doesn't need CONSERVATIVES or LIBERALS...we need open minded MODERATES who can have a intelligent conversation with someone without it turning into an emotional political pissing match.

In my opinion, anyone who identifies themselves as a Conservative (far right) or Liberal (far left) is someone I would rather NOT have in our state.

I've seen too many to know exactly how this is going to go.
Why support hate and division?...I just do not.

Luckily, Texas is inching ever closer to becoming a real PURPLE state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston