Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 11:29 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Coworkers who have lived in states with and without state income taxes say it works out about the same in terms of dollars for them. You pay taxes one way or the other, either to state or on property.
BS,
I never heard anybody “fighting state income tax rate”
You hear that about property taxes all the time
Because somebody pulls a number out of their behind and say
“That’s how much more you have to pay in taxes, now”

A friend of mine built a house a few years ago for about 200k,
Next year, his house was appraised at $275k, 110/sq ft,
Even though the lot plus building the house was $200k ($80/sq ft) and the houses in his Neighborhood are around $80/sq ft

Yes, that’s complete BS

Last edited by Dopo; 09-07-2020 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 02:07 PM

40 posts, read 16,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Now you are putting all the hate on Texas because of your opportunity loss.
I would probably be disappointed too if I lost that chance, but it's not Texas fault.
And I guess you are also pissed off because there are not so many liberals in Woodlands

...I hate property tax too, but it is what it is.
My personal approach is to set the tax limits that I am comfortable to pay and go from there. Buy house within those limits.
I don't see any way how the tax burden is going to be lower for me in CA because here in Texas I already set property tax limits that I am comfortable with. And don't forget the current real estate prices in CA. You still have to pay your property tax there even though the tax rates are lower. Plus state income tax.
If you can work from home all the time, FL is the best choice.
There's no hate on TX and no politics. Just tax math. But math is hard for most people so I get it. You can reason it all you want with setting a limit on your house and all that. But the truth still remains that TX is pretending to be a low tax state, but it is far from one...unless you are a very high earner like my first post stated. The tradeoff between income tax and property tax only kicks in favorably for very high earners.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:19 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
We paid a city earnings tax and a state income tax along with taxes on the house while living in another state. We moved home to Texas. Our combined taxes along with insurance and car fees was higher in Houston. We got more house for the money. But like was indicated, that brand new house had all kinds of issues.

When considering a move, also factor in MUD and HOA fees and utility rates. My water bill is sometimes higher than electricity in the summer due to the regional water authority fee. If you want law enforcement, that too, is extra in the unincorporated areas of Houston. And the 8+% sales tax.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:13 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
I laugh every time I hear a conservative saying that they are moving to Texas because they’ll pay lower taxes

Another fool got tricked

Old 09-07-2020, 05:09 PM

19 posts, read 15,531 times
Lower taxes are true if you’re a business owner or in the 80th percentile or above in national household earnings.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:57 PM

40 posts, read 16,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbc2htx View Post
Lower taxes are true if you’re a business owner or in the 80th percentile or above in national household earnings.
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to say. And even for business owners, it depends what kind of business you're running. TX is a paradise for corporate headquarters but if you're a capital intensive business and you need lots of buildings, equippment, etc. it's not that great due again to...you guessed it...property taxes.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:12 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbc2htx View Post
WAIT A MINUTE... you're telling me that the system is designed to benefit the rich? But I thought that poor people only struggle because they are lazy? Confused...

Old 09-07-2020, 07:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerymary View Post
There's no hate on TX and no politics. Just tax math. But math is hard for most people so I get it. You can reason it all you want with setting a limit on your house and all that. But the truth still remains that TX is pretending to be a low tax state, but it is far from one...unless you are a very high earner like my first post stated. The tradeoff between income tax and property tax only kicks in favorably for very high earners.
Very easy math.
Make 100K+, live in 50-100K house and you will definitely save more on tax

Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 AM

162 posts, read 231,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblackie View Post
Correct. So if rentals are the same AND you arent paying state income tax, then didnt you just give yourself a increase (12%) in take home that you are now saving??!?!
Sure, but like I've said numerous times now, it's not enough to uproot me. I thought the savings would be more than that.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:24 PM

36 posts, read 13,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Very easy math.
Make 100K+, live in 50-100K house and you will definitely save more on tax
If you make 100k and live in a 50k house, there's something wrong with you. But I guess you don't actually do that but only use that to prove your non-existing point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston