Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 09:03 PM

90 posts, read 99,518 times

Advertisements

Hey’all.

I’ll be moving to Houston in the next year to year and a half; and I’m looking for some areas I might like. I’m pretty much already sold on the Spring/Woodlands area, but I want to know about all that the city has to offer. I’m pretty conservative, and my big thing is about being in a community that supports first responders; especially the police. I’m a paramedic myself, and my goal is to become a reserve police officer/SWAT medic. I’m not an unreasonable person, I don’t mind people being gay, smoking pot recreationally, or just having different opinions than me. I don’t hate liberals, nor do I hate all their ideals; I just don’t want to live some place where police officers are threatened with defunding, thrown under the bus for political gain, and forced to remove thin blue line flags in an effort to avoid “offending” people. Conservative areas, like the place I grew up are very supportive of service, and that’s the place I want to live. If there’s a liberal area like that, let me know because I’m not a close minded person.

So what are the more conservative areas around Houston? The only ones that I’m aware of are The Woodlands, Cypress, Pearland, and League City. Spring and Katy seem to be only partially conservative according to BestPlaces data, but those areas look great! Commute times makes no difference, since I’d only be working 2-3 days a week. (Paramedic schedules are 24hr on/72hr off, or 48hr on/96hr off)

Thanks guys, be safe.
-Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 09:31 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
Within City of Houston: Memorial area zip code 77024. Single family homes may be too pricey for most, but townhomes are more affordable.
Suburbs-Kingwood also comes to mind.
City of Jersey Village (has its own police/fire departments, very safe).

Old 07-09-2020, 10:21 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
From 2016 election

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...e-10606238.php

Old 07-09-2020, 10:39 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,888 times
If you're really hardcore about your conservatism, I would say Kingwood or Friendswood would be the places for you. Otherwise, Katy, Cypress, The Woodlands, Spring, and Jersey Village are all pretty much majority conservative. I get a slight sense that Clear Lake and Sugar Land and maybe Pearland are a little bit less conservative than other suburbs.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:32 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
Within Katy, you will likely find more conservatives south of I-10 east of 99 in Green Trails zip 77094 (Green Trails is part of US Congress District 7 which had long been conservative until the most recent election) and the original Cinco Ranch (North Lake and South Lake Villages) most of it is in District 22 which has long been conservative, but there has been lots of money pouring into democratic coffers to turn the district “blue” this fall. Katy is fairly diverse and moderate. I’ve yet to see news bulletins where they are calling to defund police. The one peaceful protest I don’t think called for that.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:11 AM

90 posts, read 99,518 times
Thanks for the information, everyone! I’ve heard Houston is known for having extremely kind and welcoming people, so I have very high expectations!

Old 07-10-2020, 07:30 AM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
The most conservative part of the Houston metro is going to be Montgomery County. Suburbs like Magnolia, The Woodlands, and New Caney are all super conservative. Cypress, Katy, and Pearland are more moderate than conservative.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:52 PM

25 posts, read 28,168 times
It depends on where you are on the spectrum. You're saying most conservative, so if you're extremely far right to the point that you religiously protect the American flag, have the mentality that guns are a symbol of peace and think marriage is solely based between man and woman, the only place you'll likely find welcoming within the Houston MSA borders would be the Lake Jackson area, some areas closer to Winnie, and some of the northern outskirts of Conroe (but this one is rapidly changing).

Old 07-10-2020, 02:09 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozenSupply View Post
It depends on where you are on the spectrum. You're saying most conservative, so if you're extremely far right to the point that you religiously protect the American flag, have the mentality that guns are a symbol of peace and think marriage is solely based between man and woman, the only place you'll likely find welcoming within the Houston MSA borders would be the Lake Jackson area, some areas closer to Winnie, and some of the northern outskirts of Conroe (but this one is rapidly changing).
I moved from the Midwest to Houston trying to move away from that
Well, you just described my new neighbor

Old 07-10-2020, 02:44 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozenSupply View Post
Speaking of Lake County, it's interesting how southern Harris County is so blue. This is part of what's turning Brazoria County into a swing county. Which would ideally seem impossible when you realize Lake County is in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston