Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM

814 posts, read 676,968 times

Advertisements

How about Houston-Galveston. Tried a couple times already...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 09:51 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And how is this company that owns no railroad cars and no railroad track and currently provides no railroad services deemed to be a "train"? It is a paper company that identifies as a railroad.
There is no requirement under Texas law that a railroad company currently operate rail lines. Here's a good article on the Court of Appeals ruling that the Texas Supreme Court declined to review https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2020...-train-ruling/

Quote:
They can say it is a private venture now but I have zero confidence that taxpayer money won't be used to bail it out. Is this going to be another venture where the private company stands to reap the profits if it succeeds and the taxpayer stands to bear the losses if it fails?

I also doubt it is going to be price competitive without public subsidies. Just look at Amtrak fares. Without stops you probably won't have the riders and with stops you won't be competitive on travel time.
If the HSR fails, it's most likely the bondholders that suffer. The State, or another entity, might pick up the pieces, but there's no requirement to do so.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There is no requirement under Texas law that a railroad company currently operate rail lines. Here's a good article on the Court of Appeals ruling that the Texas Supreme Court declined to review https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2020...-train-ruling/

If the HSR fails, it's most likely the bondholders that suffer. The State, or another entity, might pick up the pieces, but there's no requirement to do so.

But how are you a railroad without railcars and rail lines? You're just a paper company that dreams of being a railroad some day. Hey did I ever tell you about my Oceangaia Space Agency? I don't actually have any spacecraft or any aerospace engineers but, you know, the name says... Or maybe you would like to direct deposit your paycheck to Oceangaia National Bank. Again, I don't have any reserves or accounts or ATMs or anything but, you know, the name says...

Most likely? If it collapses and the money is gone then it's investors lost their investment but there will still big costs to clean up and restore the land. The government is always the responsible party of last resort.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
may be just a busline would be nice

Old 06-21-2021, 11:06 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
They can say it is a private venture now but I have zero confidence that taxpayer money won't be used to bail it out. Is this going to be another venture where the private company stands to reap the profits if it succeeds and the taxpayer stands to bear the losses if it fails?

I also doubt it is going to be price competitive without public subsidies. Just look at Amtrak fares. Without stops you probably won't have the riders and with stops you won't be competitive on travel time.
I agree with you - there is substantial risk the venture fails. Their business plan is to essentially monetize owned land near the station via development to subsidize operating losses and perhaps even make a profit. I don't know the numbers but its a very speculative and risky investment imo. I wouldn't invest in it.

With that being said, I'm of the opinion that public transit is a public service and is not intended to make a profit. Bullet trains don't operate at a profit anywhere in the world IIRC, and this would be no different - the difference would theoretically be the capture of profits from land development to offset. If that doesn't happen, I'm not against the gov picking up the tab on some level - I'd far rather spend my tax dollars on something like this as opposed to subsidizing companies to move here or trying to build a futile border wall.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:09 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
Every time I say this, some idiot says:
“No ... I like driving my truck to Galveston”

I respond with: “how would you like to do that with less traffic?”
And at that moment they change the topic

Old 06-22-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every time I say this, some idiot says:
“No ... I like driving my truck to Galveston”

I respond with: “how would you like to do that with less traffic?”
And at that moment they change the topic

I would like to drive my truck to Galveston without also paying for your choo choo ride. So if the train is a private venture or self-supporting then I'm all for it.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:06 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
I would like to drive my truck to Galveston without also paying for your choo choo ride. So if the train is a private venture or self-supporting then I'm all for it.
Well then, why should you get to drive your truck on subsidized roads?

Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Well then, why should you get to drive your truck on subsidized roads?

They're not. Just about everyone is using the roads. A subsidy is when the many support the few.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:43 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I agree with you - there is substantial risk the venture fails. Their business plan is to essentially monetize owned land near the station via development to subsidize operating losses and perhaps even make a profit. I don't know the numbers but its a very speculative and risky investment imo. I wouldn't invest in it.

With that being said, I'm of the opinion that public transit is a public service and is not intended to make a profit. Bullet trains don't operate at a profit anywhere in the world IIRC, and this would be no different - the difference would theoretically be the capture of profits from land development to offset. If that doesn't happen, I'm not against the gov picking up the tab on some level - I'd far rather spend my tax dollars on something like this as opposed to subsidizing companies to move here or trying to build a futile border wall.
It's fine as long as their financial plan includes full non-public coverage for whatever cleanup is required if the venture fails. This venture is intended as a fully private and it should stay that way. It is not public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston