Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 10:45 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
But how are you a railroad without railcars and rail lines? You're just a paper company that dreams of being a railroad some day. Hey did I ever tell you about my Oceangaia Space Agency? I don't actually have any spacecraft or any aerospace engineers but, you know, the name says... Or maybe you would like to direct deposit your paycheck to Oceangaia National Bank. Again, I don't have any reserves or accounts or ATMs or anything but, you know, the name says...

Most likely? If it collapses and the money is gone then it's investors lost their investment but there will still big costs to clean up and restore the land. The government is always the responsible party of last resort.
So eminent domain law for common carriers (including pipelines, electrical transmission, etc.) only applies to companies that are operating as those businesses today? If I start a railroad, pipeline company, etc., I don't get to benefit from the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 10:49 PM

The proponents make a big deal out of every piece of positive news. And I guess this was a relatively big deal.

But you know what we haven't heard? That they have sufficient capital to begin construction and operation. After this many years. And that is BY FAR the most important announcement they could make, which tells me, they still haven't convinced enough capital providers that this service will generate a satisfactory return on capital. I wonder why investors would be skeptical, hmm? It wouldn't be the untold billions in development costs that are almost certainly far more than originally quoted, would it?

Old 06-22-2021, 11:41 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The proponents make a big deal out of every piece of positive news. And I guess this was a relatively big deal.

But you know what we haven't heard? That they have sufficient capital to begin construction and operation. After this many years. And that is BY FAR the most important announcement they could make, which tells me, they still haven't convinced enough capital providers that this service will generate a satisfactory return on capital. I wonder why investors would be skeptical, hmm? It wouldn't be the untold billions in development costs that are almost certainly far more than originally quoted, would it?
with the price of lumber........what do you think a railroad tie costs now???

Old 06-23-2021, 12:50 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
It's fine as long as their financial plan includes full non-public coverage for whatever cleanup is required if the venture fails. This venture is intended as a fully private and it should stay that way. It is not public transit.
Maybe the phrase I should have used is "public utility" because even if the line was to fail and the government operated it, it still serves the same purpose. It's just like airlines - around half of airlines worldwide are government owned on some level (with the US being a notable exception). Regardless of whether an airline is state-owned or privately-owned, it still serves the same purpose - to get people quickly from point A to point B.

I would love for the bullet train to succeed and somehow turn a profit for the owners but there's no way it can be guaranteed. I would rather see it run by the state than rust away unused, personally.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:47 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
So eminent domain law for common carriers (including pipelines, electrical transmission, etc.) only applies to companies that are operating as those businesses today? If I start a railroad, pipeline company, etc., I don't get to benefit from the law?

Not as long as you're just one of those "companies" in name only. Acquire the physical assets to actually be one of those companies first. Or put up a sufficient bond to acquire them.

A mission statement that you will become a railroad doesn't make you currently a railroad any more than me sending in an application and declaring that I intend to study law at Harvard makes me a current Harvard law student. This ruling is all based on one obscure phrase in Texas code that says present tense shall include future tense. I don't think this is what legislators intended and I hope it gets changed.

As you mention in another post, they haven't shown they can even secure the construction capital. That's what sunk TGV 30 years ago and will likely sink this project. They shouldn't be allowed to play in the big leagues (i.e. eminent domain powers) until they prove they have the big league skills (i.e. capital).

Last edited by oceangaia; 06-23-2021 at 06:55 AM..

Old 06-23-2021, 06:54 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Maybe the phrase I should have used is "public utility" because even if the line was to fail and the government operated it, it still serves the same purpose. It's just like airlines - around half of airlines worldwide are government owned on some level (with the US being a notable exception). Regardless of whether an airline is state-owned or privately-owned, it still serves the same purpose - to get people quickly from point A to point B.

I would love for the bullet train to succeed and somehow turn a profit for the owners but there's no way it can be guaranteed. I would rather see it run by the state than rust away unused, personally.

Oh we know that mass transit advocates like you are thinking this which is exactly why some of us are trying to make sure this project doesn't get too far without proof the company can see it through and stand on it's own. You know you can't sell the public on the idea of a state rail project from scratch but if you can get a private company to get the project started and contracts letted and land seized and construction begun then when the private company files BK or walks away you can make the case for the bailout, for the state to step in and finish it up.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:40 AM

814 posts, read 676,968 times
These rail things, like Houston's light rail, have high costs PER INCH.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Not as long as you're just one of those "companies" in name only. Acquire the physical assets to actually be one of those companies first. Or put up a sufficient bond to acquire them.

A mission statement that you will become a railroad doesn't make you currently a railroad any more than me sending in an application and declaring that I intend to study law at Harvard makes me a current Harvard law student. This ruling is all based on one obscure phrase in Texas code that says present tense shall include future tense. I don't think this is what legislators intended and I hope it gets changed.

As you mention in another post, they haven't shown they can even secure the construction capital. That's what sunk TGV 30 years ago and will likely sink this project. They shouldn't be allowed to play in the big leagues (i.e. eminent domain powers) until they prove they have the big league skills (i.e. capital).
A capital requirement would make sense.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
These rail things, like Houston's light rail, have high costs PER INCH.
Essentially all passenger rail projects in the U.S. have inordinately high development costs, especially as compared to other countries. Not sure why, but it makes the various rail modes difficult to justify.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:57 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
Oh we know that mass transit advocates like you are thinking this which is exactly why some of us are trying to make sure this project doesn't get too far without proof the company can see it through and stand on it's own. You know you can't sell the public on the idea of a state rail project from scratch but if you can get a private company to get the project started and contracts letted and land seized and construction begun then when the private company files BK or walks away you can make the case for the bailout, for the state to step in and finish it up.
You can't guarantee any private enterprise will succeed. Period.

Were you complaining last year when the airlines got billions in bailouts, which prevented them from (once again) losing large amounts of money and laying off hundreds of thousands of people? If you were not, I don't understand why you would complain about this. The aviation industry throughout its entire existence has never made money. US airlines lost money pretty much continuously from the end of deregulation in 1978 until around 2012 or so. Only recently have U.S. airlines been printing money from 2012-2019 due to monetizing literally every aspect of the travel experience. I'm sure a lot of high-speed rail systems worldwide could do the same if they crammed seats in at 30 inch pitch and charged for bags, Wifi, advance seating, the ability to cancel your ticket, etc. Most airlines worldwide do not make money and are subsidized. The industry is so capital-intensive and low-margin that privately owned airlines can only work in certain market conditions that don't exist most places on Earth.

In the U.S., our subsidies to that industry come in the form of publicly owned airports - almost all of them are other than Dulles (Federally owned) and a few privately owned fields. In other words, communities paid for their own airports originally. Airlines didn't have to build their own infrastructure. That is a subsidy. And any other form of non-cargo transportation has some public component. Roads, bus/light rail systems, etc. are paid for by tax dollars (and lots of them).

There's nothing wrong with the idea of transportation services operating at a loss and it is very common both here and around the world. No transit system that I know of makes an operating profit. Not sure why this particular project should be expected to be profitable other than a desire to set parameters that are unattainable. I get that you don't like it. I do, and I have no problem with my tax money going towards its operation one day should the company go belly-up. In my opinion, this rail line would have greater overall economic and quality of life benefits (regardless of who operates it) for Texans than a lot of the stupid stuff this state spends money on year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston