Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,843 times

Advertisements

And this:

the winter time is very long and gray in Chicago, and can be very grueling. Seasonal depression is a very real problem for our student body, yet our school does everything thing it can to make sure students are mentally and physically well always, but especially during this time.[LEFT]
Read more: the winter time is very long and gray in Chicago, and can be very grueling.... - College Prowler
[/LEFT]

Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
BAHAHAHA are you kidding me! I make an offhand comment about Romney's binder full of women or horses and bayonets, and I have people in my office telling me that OBAMA is this and that and they wont leave!!!! It might be the field that I work in and the economic hit that the industry has taken because of the presidents policies but still.. I was joking and these people need to get a grip...

Texans arent politically passionate and subdued about politics is a ridiculous statement! I'm sorry, it's just not true.

They tell you what their political preference almost as soon as you bring up anything remotely about politics. And for the most part the undertone of what their saying is "OBAMA is quite literally the worst president ever". I'm sorry I know I've disagreed with you on a lot but this is just gone too far.

And I cannot tell you how many anti-obama bumper stickers I see on the road. Its really appalling. Its completely disrespectful of the president of our country. It really is.

And I'm not a liberal or a conservative, but I think its unfair and unjust to villify someone to the extent that people have(but thats a whole other debate)....

Chicago might not be the best place for someone to talk smack about the president when he's from there... but at least they are supporting someone, instead of completely bashing an individual without any real support for his opposition.

Religion... I point you to the Rick Perry random prayer in your very own Houston Reliant Center. By the way it got sold out.. 30,000 people packed that place.. Texans love their religion.. and arent afraid to make sure you know about it. The large crosses next to the highway and almost every other female has a cross on her neck...
So on this point I agree, Texans and religion go together like ice tea and sugar..
Seriously? Come on. Let's just agree to say that the city of Houston is pretty liberal and the burbs are pretty conservative. I spend a majority of my time in the Woodlands and people are very respectful about politics. I'm a libertarian so when I talk to conservatives about politics I love to press a little. And they never fly off the handle. I guess it's possible that I've only met really wonderful people there and I have yet to meet your angry co-workers. When Bush was president, here in Chicago I heard people here call him every name in the book. They were as bad to Bush as your co-workers are to Obama.

As far as religion goes, I never said people were NOT religious there. In fact, quite the opposite. They most certainly are. But they never bring it up in conversation. Wow, the girls wear crosses on around their necks? Shocking!!!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM

This is what Chicago looks like all winter long.

Chicago. Winter. Gray. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I know people from Texas don't understand this and for years I never thought it affected me. But the gray climate absolutely has a physiological response to your body. It affects your mood, your sleep, your happiness, your immune system. I know you get so much sun in TX that you often beg for the sun to go away, but trust me on this, 8 to 9 months of this gray will bear down on you year after year after year. I'm not saying the summers are not great, they are. They are very hot and humid, so you will fit right in. But I warn you, just visiting Chicago for a week or so will not clue you in for what you will experience if you live here full time. It's one of the reasons why people drink themselves silly over the winter. And put on a lot of weight!!!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 PM

561 posts, read 972,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Seriously? Come on. Let's just agree to say that the city of Houston is pretty liberal and the burbs are pretty conservative. I spend a majority of my time in the Woodlands and people are very respectful about politics. I'm a libertarian so when I talk to conservatives about politics I love to press a little. And they never fly off the handle. I guess it's possible that I've only met really wonderful people there and I have yet to meet your angry co-workers. When Bush was president, here in Chicago I heard people here call him every name in the book. They were as bad to Bush as your co-workers are to Obama.

As far as religion goes, I never said people were NOT religious there. In fact, quite the opposite. They most certainly are. But they never bring it up in conversation. Wow, the girls wear crosses on around their necks? Shocking!!!!!
It's probably true, working in Engineering, Construction, Oil and Gas, and other heavy industries, there are alot of conservative older people(especially the TAMU/Baylor/SEC and some UT crowd).. And alot of them are native Texans and the things that are coming out of their mouths are just ridiculous...

I dont know how it is in the woodlands, but I've experienced what I've experienced and cant say anything about what you've seen.

And to say Texans are not politically vocal and staunchly conservative is a statement I cannot agree with.

Houston has both conservative and liberals, but even the young TAMU, Baylor, SEC crowd are conservative which I found as a surprise, I suggest to young interns and co-workers from those schools to check out Montrose and they refer to it as that "liberal hippie area in the loop right?" Which I found to be quite peculiar.

And about Bush, he was the butt of many wonderful jokes and I think alot of people around the country and the world for that matter waited for the day he would leave office. not just Chicago.

Religion.. I totally agree! Heck even the Rick Perry rally was for a "nation in crisis" whatever that means.. But Texans drove from all over to Houston

Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM

And one last tidbit about the weather in Chicago. I just didn't want you to think I was making this up:

Chicagoans cope with winter blues - Chicago Tribune

For some, the throes of winter yield something more serious than the blahs. About 8 percent of people in the Chicago area have symptoms of seasonal affective disorder, a form of depression linked to a lack of sunlight in winter, said Michael Young, a professor of psychology at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Common symptoms include fatigue, declining sexual interest and weight gain and can be treated with psychotherapy, medication and light boxes.
But most people are just experiencing the winter blues. They feel tired and lethargic. They stop exercising. They get testy.
"It's not necessarily seasonal affective disorder, but a lot of Chicagoans really change their habits in the winter, and not for the better," said psychotherapist Sarah Roane of Chicago Therapists.
There are simple remedies: sitting by a sunny window, meditating, playing a favorite CD or dancing around the apartment, Roane said.
Young stressed walking outside — even for five minutes — keeping an active social life, and calling friends or relatives.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
It's probably true, working in Engineering, Construction, Oil and Gas, and other heavy industries, there are alot of conservative older people(especially the TAMU/Baylor/SEC and some UT crowd).. And alot of them are native Texans and the things that are coming out of their mouths are just ridiculous...

I dont know how it is in the woodlands, but I've experienced what I've experienced and cant say anything about what you've seen.

And to say Texans are not politically vocal and staunchly conservative is a statement I cannot agree with.

Houston has both conservative and liberals, but even the young TAMU, Baylor, SEC crowd are conservative which I found as a surprise, I suggest to young interns and co-workers from those schools to check out Montrose and they refer to it as that "liberal hippie area in the loop right?" Which I found to be quite peculiar.

And about Bush, he was the butt of many wonderful jokes and I think alot of people around the country and the world for that matter waited for the day he would leave office. not just Chicago.

Religion.. I totally agree! Heck even the Rick Perry rally was for a "nation in crisis" whatever that means.. But Texans drove from all over to Houston
Montrose IS a liberal hippie area. LOL. And I went to an SEC school as well (UF). Look, Texas brought you LBJ, Ann Richards, your lesbian mayor of Houston, and Rick Perry, a lifelong Democrat who worked for Al Gore before changing parties. It also brought you Kinky Freidman, Ross Perot and Ron Paul!!! You have great political diversity in your state. I wish I could say the same for IL.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,183 times
work in Houston and play in the other cities(La,NY etc). The cost of living is very cheap and allows you to travel alot if you budget properly. I tend to travel at least once a month or twice if I have time.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 AM

418 posts, read 742,453 times
Quote:
Texans love their religion.. and arent afraid to make sure you know about it. The large crosses next to the highway and almost every other female has a cross on her neck...
I guess you haven't figured this out yet ..... each of those "large crosses next to the highway" marks the spot where someone lost their life. It's not religious advertising. It's a memorial to someone who died there.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
I guess you haven't figured this out yet ..... each of those "large crosses next to the highway" marks the spot where someone lost their life. It's not religious advertising. It's a memorial to someone who died there.
No, those are the small crosses. The big ones, many stories tall, are gaudy religious markers.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 PM

163 posts, read 450,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No, those are the small crosses. The big ones, many stories tall, are gaudy religious markers.
Which of course are paid with your hard earned money you donate to the church, along with the labor and materials being tax free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston