Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 02:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HearMeOut View Post
As a Northern California native trapped in Houston Texas for almost 20 years and forever, it seems, the facts stand for itself. Northern California weather and air is better, the topography & views are better, the lifestyle is better. Outdoor sports are better. Housing is worse, but if you can afford it, California is better. We have established an okay life here in Houston. The arts are great, the food is great, the hill country and the affordability is great. We live in a 4800 sq. foot dream home we could never hope to have in California. But still I cry when I arrive in the San Francisco Bay Area and I cry when I leave. Home will always be home. For those Texans who have never been to Texas, go to San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and the beaches, breath the air and enjoy the Wine Country, oh yeas and we have "bluebonnets"too (they are called lupin), the redwoods, the farmers markets, the arts, the entertainment, the sports teams... and then try to come home and get rid of strip malls and make Texas better.
Really?

Keep telling yourself.

5 California cities made the top 10 most polluted list (particle pollution) for 2012 while Houston wasn't even on it!!!

10 most polluted cities - 1. Bakersfield, Calif. (1) - CNNMoney

Here is the full list from the American Lung Associations for 2012 which includes separate lists for ozone, year round particle, & short terms particle pollution. Given Houston has the largest contration of refineries & chemical plants IN THE WORLD & is the 5th largest metropolitan area I'd say our air is pretty clean.

Look at all of those red dots in California while Texas has only 2, Houston & Dallas. Might wanna re-think your statement.

http://www.stateoftheair.org/2012/ci...ed-cities.html

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-25-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 PM

108 posts, read 199,515 times
TVC, I'd be glad to trade places with you. I was from Fremont. Which city are you in?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Uhh, its the end of October and there are sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 50's.. thats hoodie and pants weather, which is not bad and nothing to be crying about...

http://http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/forecast/

You're lack of credibility is becoming more and more apparent... and not to mention annoying..

PS: Houston has plenty of ugly areas.. Have you driven up and down i45? or even the areas between 610 and BW8? your exaggerations i swear..
Yes, we are having like the warmest October in the history of Chicago. It was almost 80 today! This is not our normal weather. Are you seriously questioning the Chicago cold weather. No, people don't move to Chicago and LA and NY to be cool. What are you 19? Seriously. How old are you, I gotta know because you talk like you are in high school and just begging to move out of your parents home to some cool hip city on the coast. No, the reason people in the past moved to those cities is to GET A JOB. The last 50 years, those cities had all the high paying jobs. That is changing now as more and more jobs are moving south. Now Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Atlanta and yes Houston have the high paying jobs. The coastal cities are losing their relevance and that is why people are moving out of them in droves and heading south. You really seem immature. Let me know when you get out of high school and we'll have this conversation again. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
TVC, I'd be glad to trade places with you. I was from Fremont. Which city are you in?
Redwood City It is so beautiful here! I live close to Woodside and 280

Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Really?

Keep telling yourself.

5 California cities made the top 10 most polluted list (particle pollution) for 2012 while Houston wasn't even on it!!!

Here is the full list from the American Lung Associations for 2012 which includes separate lists for ozone, year round particle, & short terms particle pollution. Given Houston has the largest contration of refineries & chemical plants IN THE WORLD & is the 5th largest metropolitan area I'd say our air is pretty clean.

Look at all of those red dots in California while Texas has only 2, Houston & Dallas. Might wanna re-think your statement.

Most Polluted Cities: State of the Air 2012 - American Lung Association
Northern California is clearly stated.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Really?

Keep telling yourself.

Most Polluted Cities: State of the Air 2012 - American Lung Association

Bakersfield is a good distance away from Northern California. Most of Central Valley and Southern CA have the air quality issues.

Way up here in Northern California on the coast we don't have those issues. Come on out and see it for yourself!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Get an atlas please and learn what is considered Northern California. Not one dot on the coastal areas of Northern California.

All of the dots you see in the south and inland are the reason why CA has more strict air quality control. The surrounding mountains are why those places trap more polluntants then a flat place such as Houston.

Reasons why the Central Valley has high pollution http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1191290.html

Last edited by TVC15; 10-25-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM

78 posts, read 263,707 times
Default CA on my mind

Well, maybe I can add a few comments here. Having lived in LA area for 18 years and now "trapped" in Houston for over 6 years, I can only dream maybe that some day I can afford again living in CA. Since our situation has changed (kids, us a little older), sure, Texas makes economically sense! I always find it sad where the heart loses to the brain; it does not seem fair but it is real.
Texans are friendly people on the outside as long you do not even start them on politics or religion. Food is great but not so healthy. Do not even start me on the "hellish" weather here and I have been to 21 countries on 3 continents. The other day, we went fishing near Seebrook/Kemah because it "seemed" a nice October day and my kid was almost devoured by the mosquitos. On top of that, he is developing asthma; never a health issue in Southern California despite the heavy smog!
On the other hand, CA is overrun by corrupt idealists who reward bad behavior and its policies are driving out businesses. How are companies going to stay there unless you are in entertainment and even then cost of living is very unfavorable as it always has been.
Basically, it all depends at what stage in life you are in and what your preferences are. Do you have kids, prefer a larger house (a luxury prison here), then TX is for you.
Are you a hopeless idealist, romanticist who will "die" for his ideals/preferences, then maybe CA is for you but hopefully you can afford it. The question is , at what cost are you going to sell your soul to the devil?
Personally, I am hoping for something "in between" like states like GA, NC, maybe FL? Ahh, if only Seattle had a better climate!
Good luck

Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Did you bother looking at the list?

Chico, Stockton, Sacramento, Modesto, Merced, & Fresno are all in Northern California.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Bakersfield is a good distance away from Northern California. Most of Central Valley and Southern CA have the air quality issues.

Way up here in Northern California on the coast we don't have those issues. Come on out and see it for yourself!
True

None of the coastal areas of Northern California made the list.

However, 6 inland cities in Northern California did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston