Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I find this post pretty funny. I've always thought it was the opposite. I always thought of TX as having a real soul. Real people with real families. People of faith. Authentic good old fashioned Americans. Salt of the Earth. And CA full of flaky, phoney, artificial people living in a vast open soulless existence. Of course that is a stereotype but I've spent a lot of time in CA and although there are good people everywhere you go in life, I found an unbelievable amount of flaky people out there. True, I've spent more time in southern cal then northern. It seemed like everyone that lived in CA was not "from" there but rather they "ran" away from their home and moved out there to chase some dream. There is a reason they call it la la land afterall. I always find it funny when even celebrities leave CA for NY and talk about how fake CA is and how they hated living out there. Yes, I know a lot of that is the industry out there, but let's be honest, in southern Cal, almost everyone is chasing that dream on some level. I even knew doctors out there that were secretly writing screen plays on the side and trying to get into commercials.

I always felt sad when I was in LA and I saw all these people working odd jobs looking so tired from auditioning during the downtime and getting rejected day after day after day. It looked like the land of lost dreams. Where as TX always seemed to be about family and yes, even God. Not trying to offend the atheists here. But TX just seemed more wholesome and that is what always stuck out to me about TX. I think Houston and Dallas have grown so much over the last 10 years that many people from the east and west coast have moved there chasing the money and in the process have given both cities this image of people just trying to make money. But I don't think that is true of the native TX people. I think the natives love their football, their families, their God and their food. And certainly TX is not souless. Anyway, just my opinion.
You see what you want to see. Judging by the spirit of your posts you don't seem like the type to want to give people a shot. You managed to diss a lot of people and uplift your own all in one breath. You must not be a native Texan .

Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,299 times
I don't know why some Houstonians are like that when in comes to CA, especially LA and San Fran. For some reason they really like San Diego though. They're always going on about how great SD is and what horrible cities San Fran and LA are.

My guess is that some of these people are very politically conservative and consider those towns as bastions of everything they hate and they really think they're trying to destroy the fabric of America which is represented by an upper middle class TX suburb or something.

Los Angeles is the most dynamic vibrant city I've ever been to. Passes NYC by a mile and Houston by ten. Along with NYC, it's America's world city representative. Yet, some Texans have a stubborn attitude about recognizing this. What I attribute it to is a humble arrogance. Some can be really arrogant about being humble and think anything beyond an upper middle class life is just being selfish. You can be low millionaire ranch owner with some land out in central TX and that's about as far as some of them will say is comfortable for a God fearing human to live with. To some extent, they're right, but anything too posh or glam is just considered "trying too hard" or "unreasonable". LA represents that to them, IMO.

It's kind of like when I asked my gf's sister why she was into guy's with a bit of a gut, cammo hat wearing, buzz cut, oakley sunglasses sporting pick up truck drivers, more so than the guys that looked super professional that were hitting on her at the bar we went to in town? Even though she has no interest in fishing, hunting, sports, or lounging around she just loves guys that do that stuff. She loves shopping, traveling and being spontaneous but she rejects GQ looking guys that can give her all that because she is used to that country/suburban humble dude. She even said so, "I am just used to that kind of guy". That's order to her, stability. A guy like her dad and her brothers. It's what the cultural norm is.

That's my take on it at least.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
You see what you want to see. Judging by the spirit of your posts you don't seem like the type to want to give people a shot. You managed to diss a lot of people and uplift your own all in one breath. You must not be a native Texan .
Oh c'mon. Houston is full of haterade. Don't even deny. They're always trying to bring people down a notch. The attitude is, " you ain't better than me".

Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Well the reason these things you think are grand dont happen all over is money.... which you find boorish.. I cant help you good luck
John you killed it with your negativity. There was a better way to convey your disagreement than cynicism and rudeness. Nice one.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Oh c'mon. Houston is full of haterade. Don't even deny. They're always trying to bring people down a notch. The attitude is, " you ain't better than me".
I'm confused on this one...did I post ^^^^that on yours or his? Or were you agreeing with me here?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
[quote=BarcelonaFan;27336661]Woah jek you're proving the point about the abnormal hatred for LA by Texans.

[Mod cut: off topic] I actually love the heat and sun of both TX and FL. I'm in outstanding physical shape so unlike many on here, I don't get heat exhaustion just by walking to my car. I actually run in this heat. In the middle of the day and in the middle of the summer.

Last edited by elnina; 12-15-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Abnormal hatred? I don't hate CA dude. I love Cali! I have friends all over the OC and San Diego. I was commenting not on the weather, but on the greenness or lack there of in CA. FL and Seattle are very green. As far as weather goes, yes southern Cal is 70 everyday but I have no desire to pay for that. I actually love the heat and sun of both TX and FL. I'm in outstanding physical shape so unlike many on here, I don't get heat exhaustion just by walking to my car. I actually run in this heat. In the middle of the day and in the middle of the summer.
[Mod cut: off topic] I am used to getting in the pool when it's normally 90+ degrees in TX.

Last edited by elnina; 12-15-2012 at 12:09 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times

And now the green of Houston. This is what "rain" does for you.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM

I am not denying the green landscape of Houston. It's quite nice. But those were some bad ass shots of LA, jek!

The hills, the homes on the hills, the downtown pic was amazing, the Hollywood sign. Love it. How was that supposed to be a turnoff?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 PM

489 posts, read 621,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I am not denying the green landscape of Houston. It's quite nice. But those were some bad ass shots of LA, jek!

The hills, the homes on the hills, the downtown pic was amazing, the Hollywood sign. Love it. How was that supposed to be a turnoff?
It's a turn off to me, and I have been here all my life. Just not into brown, I guess .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston