Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 06:06 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,058,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Because you're going off a biased ny times poll instead of real stats on say, certain vax percentage by county and who they voted for. Even then the fact remains that the Black, Latine, and millenial groups have the lowest vax rates, and those groups tend to vote democrat. In the end this shouldnt be politicized.
"Those groups tend to vote Democrat." Those are your "real stats," huh? You're talking about small groups, relative to population, and then throwing in a huge assumption about how individuals vote. Sorry, nope.

Also, you are demonstrating how carelessly you read. It was not a NY Times poll. It was a poll that The NY Times reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 10:10 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
"Those groups tend to vote Democrat." Those are your "real stats," huh? You're talking about small groups, relative to population, and then throwing in a huge assumption about how individuals vote. Sorry, nope.

Also, you are demonstrating how carelessly you read. It was not a NY Times poll. It was a poll that The NY Times reported.
I think it's pretty well known those groups lean democrat. Blacks vote over 90% democrat in presidential elections, and the Latine pop over 60% generally. And we're talking a third of the country at least so not a small percentage.

Youre missing the bigger point which is we don't need skewed polls for this sort of thing. We already know this data ablut whose taken the vaccine by age and race rom a county level. Whats the point of promoting another political poll? It's stupid.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 AM

9 posts, read 6,313 times
Quote:
I am back to wearing a mask, even though I'm vaccinated. My kid's school experiences planned for this year are starting to get cancelled. Thanks a lot, GOP. All you had to do was encourage vaccination, but no. It's more important to get a good seat on the Trump Train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I'm already used to the drudgery of quarantine so I'm not too upset. Less socializing and going out for drinks--that's a bummer for sure.

I do worry about it more for schools. My 8yr old will be going back in-person, hook or crook. He just missed too much last year. I sincerely hope the governor allows school districts to mandate masks. It's so unreasonable to force people to perpetuate the spread. It's just nutty. Last year we kept my 8yr old at home all year and by the end of the year it was a real mess. SBISD does NOT seem to give a darn about kids learning from home, nor does it seem much to care about safety protocols at school. It's a lose/lose there. I say this with LOTS of experience with a high schooler and an elementary kid in SBISD during COVID. I am currently trying to see if I can get the kid into HISD on a last minute transfer because I trust them a lot more on COVID.

I'm a new to SBISD parent and I'm really regretting my decision to send my child to preschool within SBISD. Wishing we just would have stayed at our private preschool!!!

Old 08-09-2021, 08:17 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,003,759 times
Quote:
Yeah and it looks like some folks are starting to catch up to what many of us were saying a year ago, but it's too little too late. People were busy censoring scientists and doctors who were saying you can't stop a coronavirus, mass vaccinations will cause a variant to be created faster, PCR tests can't actually detect for covid-19 specifically or even distinguish from influenza, natural immunity is far better, etc.

Now it just doesn't matter. Major corporations are starting to force mandates, states/counties/cities are starting to implement vaccine passports (which many also said would never happen...ha!), and we are very close to going back into lockdowns. In fact I'm pretty sure we will be back in lockdowns come October but this time it'll be worse.

This is why things like metaverses are getting big (see what Facebook just announced, among several others) because we're going to be even more virtual moving forward. There is an apartment building in LA that's advertising a virtual lobby for its residents with people wearing VR headsets on the billboard. I've heard of similar things in NYC. Get ready for it and it's time for Houston to stock up a little now if you haven't already. If nothing else, food is cheaper now than it will be come winter.
Remember that movie with Bruce Willis where everyone lived through a VR headset called Surrogates? If you never saw it then you should. Is that our future?

Old 08-09-2021, 08:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 831,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im getting ready to become even more unpopular but here goes.

So much of this is a fools errand. We arent going to stop this. Covid will be with us for years and years to come. I look at people who think they can stop it like I look at politicians who say "I can unite the country". Nobody can unite the country. We are so divided that all hope is dead of us every being united. Its hopeless, so theres no need to pretend otherwise. Covid is like that because its going to do what viruses do: move from person to person until it runs out of people to go through. The only way to stop it would be a worldwide lockdown for 3 weeks where everyone is frozen in an isolated place and that will never happen so its hopeless. We just have to learn to live with it.

Im all for getting vaxxed. I got mine as soon as I could even though I had already had Covid. Im all for efforts to encourage vaccination even if that includes paying people to get it. I also go to Walgreens and test myself every two weeks just to be sure.

But were in a balancing act. We have to thread the needle between Australia where the phrase "this should never be happening in a democracy" doesnt begin to cover it and the anti-vax crowd.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58021718

So where does that leave us? Frankly, life is about risks. Everything you do has a risk associated with it. For example, getting in your car to go to the store and jumping out of an airplane with no parachute both have risks attached to them. However, the risks are minimal driving to the store so we all do it where as jumping out of an airplane without a parachute would lead to almost certain death so almost no one does that. That means, assuming youre not of the anti-vax/denalist variety, you must look at yourself and determine your risk to transmission and contraction. For me, Im not much of a risk to either because Ive had it and Ive had the Pfizer vax. If I somehow get it again, I would go into quarantine and if a place requires a mask, Ill wear one. Otherwise, Im living a normal life which means going out to eat, being around people, flying on plane, and most of it I wont be wearing a mask.

Assess your risk and go with it. Get vaxxed if you havent and go on with life.

Wow...that much common sense and suggestion of risk taking will surely not go over well here or on most social media sites! LOL

I totally agree. Do what you can and just go live your lives. The govt and media will mild Covid as long as they can and we just need to take steps we are comfortable with an move on. For most of us, the virus STILL has around 98% survival rate.

...tired of the babies and sheep....jeez

Old 08-09-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Wow...that much common sense and suggestion of risk taking will surely not go over well here or on most social media sites! LOL

I totally agree. Do what you can and just go live your lives. The govt and media will mild Covid as long as they can and we just need to take steps we are comfortable with an move on. For most of us, the virus STILL has around 98% survival rate.

...tired of the babies and sheep....jeez
I've lost three co-workers to Covid. I have five friends who have lost parents. I am neither a baby nor a sheep, I am a concerned, compassionate human being who would like to see my fellow human beings take some basic safety measures, like getting vaccinated and wearing a mask. Then, we can all do as you say: go and live our lives.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:59 AM

18,136 posts, read 25,318,143 times
Quote:
Because you're going off a biased ny times poll instead of real stats on say, certain vax percentage by county and who they voted for. Even then the fact remains that the Black, Latine, and millenial groups have the lowest vax rates, and those groups tend to vote democrat. In the end this shouldnt be politicized.
Here we go with the race card
Who were the ones having big rallies saying that Covid was fake news = Republicans

Old 08-09-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I've lost three co-workers to Covid. I have five friends who have lost parents. I am neither a baby nor a sheep, I am a concerned, compassionate human being who would like to see my fellow human beings take some basic safety measures, like getting vaccinated and wearing a mask. Then, we can all do as you say: go and live our lives.

The most compassionate thing one can do is to say I trust you and your judgement and want you to be free to make your own decisions.

Did all of those people die from Covid alone or did they have some other co-morbidity like diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity or immune system problems? Very few actually die from Covid alone, according to the CDCs own figures.

Covid has exposed one thing many do not want to face - the healthier you are...the better shape you will be in to fend off or fight a virus like this. Sure, you can wear a mask and get a shot, but if you continue to eat fast food, processed sugars and not exercise...you are still at risk.

I love how people that cram their faces with fast foods and could not run a quarter of a mile and are as wide as they are tall are telling ME what I need to do with my health. Yeah....I'll pass on that advice, thank you. LOL

Old 08-09-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
The most compassionate thing one can do is to say I trust you and your judgement and want you to be free to make your own decisions.

Did all of those people die from Covid alone or did they have some other co-morbidity like diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity or immune system problems? Very few actually die from Covid alone, according to the CDCs own figures.

Covid has exposed one thing many do not want to face - the healthier you are...the better shape you will be in to fend off or fight a virus like this. Sure, you can wear a mask and get a shot, but if you continue to eat fast food, processed sugars and not exercise...you are still at risk.

I love how people that cram their faces with fast foods and could not run a quarter of a mile and are as wide as they are tall are telling ME what I need to do with my health. Yeah....I'll pass on that advice, thank you. LOL
If you don't understand yet how communicable diseases work, and why your decision affects the whole community, I don't even know what to say to you.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
If you don't understand yet how communicable diseases work, and why your decision affects the whole community, I don't even know what to say to you.

So I should listen to those that act in unhealthy ways who want to lecture me on my own health?

This is a virus....not a disease. BTW

Yeah...hard pass on that one. Many of these types also try to tell me that a man that wears a dress is a woman and the weather will be better if I do not drive a large SUV. LOL ...science!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston