Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 01:30 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think these Malls are considered to be failing because of the attitudes in the retail industry towards the addressable market in these malls and not because some white soccer moms are afraid to go to Greenspoint (if that place is still open) or Willowbrook or whatever.

Maybe it's retailers that are abandoning these areas too soon. They're afraid of being robbed I'm sure, but even robbers need to shop and buy Groceries, so maybe they need to realize they cannot run away from minority crime and crime in general and quit creating these retail deserts that result from their retreating
It’s a mix of a lot of things. Anglos feeling uncomfortable with minorities being comfortable shopping at places they were previously “unwelcome” is definitely among reasons. General mall decline from building way too many. E-commerce. The rise of strip malls (and how much easier they are to get what you need and leave). More entertainment districts lessening the need to go to a mall for “fun”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 01:38 PM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think these Malls are considered to be failing because of the attitudes in the retail industry towards the addressable market in these malls and not because some white soccer moms are afraid to go to Greenspoint (if that place is still open) or Willowbrook or whatever.

Maybe it's retailers that are abandoning these areas too soon. They're afraid of being robbed I'm sure, but even robbers need to shop and buy Groceries, so maybe they need to realize they cannot run away from minority crime and crime in general and quit creating these retail deserts that result from their retreating
The thing is, I don't think Willowbrook is failing (nor The Galleria). That's mainly an impression stated by certain suburbanites because of a certain clientele patronizing the mall.

Now, West Oaks and Greenspoint, yeah, failing. But they had other issues besides just prejudices of suburban shoppers.

You are perhaps somewhat unintentionally correct in your addressable market point though. Retailers often have a fairly specific profile of the target customer - not just the basics of income, age, ethnicity, etc., but also the "psychographic" profile (if you've ever seen one of these, it can be rather amusing and borderline absurd). When the population of the local market area changes such that it no longer meets those criteria, the retailers start to get concerned - they're less likely to make merchandising decisions, adequate staffing, and buildout reinvestments that keep that location strong, which of course also spurs or reinforces sales decline. Once their lease is up (or before, if they're willing to keep paying rent or do a buyout), they're gone.

Then of course there's the whole narrative of why malls have been enduring such difficult times in general, which I won't recount here, but applies to these malls just like anywhere else.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:43 PM

I’m sure the Galleria has no problem taking black wealth dollars that the Woodlands Mall would never dream of having (even as they’re establishing a muuuuch smaller luxury wing of their own).

Old 02-17-2023, 02:12 PM

839 posts, read 457,523 times
Here’s something nice to see. Some newly published plans for road and infrastructure improvements on Lower Westheimer.

https://www.engagehouston.org/westheimer-elgin
Attached Thumbnails
Houston CORE developments thread-3e0e04b4-78cf-459a-9f4d-ff263a5ac4d7.jpeg   Houston CORE developments thread-8457ed2c-8947-4ad2-93dd-2de99b3551dc.jpeg   Houston CORE developments thread-80056627-5632-4854-aae6-9f2657fb30de.jpeg   Houston CORE developments thread-cbcf4639-5d7d-44bb-a5f9-517cfb730f98.jpeg  

Old 02-17-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Here’s something nice to see. Some newly published plans for road and infrastructure improvements on Lower Westheimer.

https://www.engagehouston.org/westheimer-elgin
Geez. About time

Old 02-17-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Geez. About time
For real lol. Riding the 82 on that segment was brutal. The wide sidewalks and road dirt should greatly improve urbanity in this stretch.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The thing is, I don't think Willowbrook is failing (nor The Galleria). That's mainly an impression stated by certain suburbanites because of a certain clientele patronizing the mall.

Now, West Oaks and Greenspoint, yeah, failing. But they had other issues besides just prejudices of suburban shoppers.

You are perhaps somewhat unintentionally correct in your addressable market point though. Retailers often have a fairly specific profile of the target customer - not just the basics of income, age, ethnicity, etc., but also the "psychographic" profile (if you've ever seen one of these, it can be rather amusing and borderline absurd). When the population of the local market area changes such that it no longer meets those criteria, the retailers start to get concerned - they're less likely to make merchandising decisions, adequate staffing, and buildout reinvestments that keep that location strong, which of course also spurs or reinforces sales decline. Once their lease is up (or before, if they're willing to keep paying rent or do a buyout), they're gone.

Then of course there's the whole narrative of why malls have been enduring such difficult times in general, which I won't recount here, but applies to these malls just like anywhere else.
I love being "unintentionally" correct it's like manna from Heaven.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Geez. About time
Except that these plans were developed years ago - I was getting really excited because as everyone else has noted, it's so badly needed. Then the City decided it didn't have $ for it, the project has been dormant since then. I'm hoping the TIRZ can help pick it back up.

Notice that the cover block says construction "is not programmed at this time."

Old 02-17-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Except that these plans were developed years ago - I was getting really excited because as everyone else has noted, it's so badly needed. Then the City decided it didn't have $ for it, the project has been dormant since then. I'm hoping the TIRZ can help pick it back up.

Notice that the cover block says construction "is not programmed at this time."
Unfortunate but it is a good sign that they’re starting to have community hearings again about Lower Westheimer’s reconstruction. There was one in January and another is happening in March and the page has been updated a few times in 2023 alone. Hopefully it’s a sign that we can see some more movement and some hard dates.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Unfortunate but it is a good sign that they’re starting to have community hearings again about Lower Westheimer’s reconstruction. There was one in January and another is happening in March and the page has been updated a few times in 2023 alone. Hopefully it’s a sign that we can see some more movement and some hard dates.
One can only hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston