Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2023, 07:52 PM

137 posts, read 216,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Anyone seen about this “Warehouse District” project that’s going for Northern Downtown HOU? Appears to have been planned since 2019 but didn’t break ground until 2021?
The project actually changed direction and actually grew in size. The first building is a 5-story apartment building which is topped out. It takes up nearly the entire block displayed in the rendering except for Black's Bodega.

The other two phases on different blocks will also be apartments. I believe one building will be 4 stories and the other will be 6 stories. The 4-story building is currently built up to the 3rd floor and the 6-story building is on the 2nd floor.

There will also be retail space just not sure how much. The developer also owns additional land in the area for future phases.

The are photos of the development on HAIF.

This is not connected to the Post in anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 09:10 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
The project actually changed direction and actually grew in size. The first building is a 5-story apartment building which is topped out. It takes up nearly the entire block displayed in the rendering except for Black's Bodega.

The other two phases on different blocks will also be apartments. I believe one building will be 4 stories and the other will be 6 stories. The 4-story building is currently built up to the 3rd floor and the 6-story building is on the 2nd floor.

There will also be retail space just not sure how much. The developer also owns additional land in the area for future phases.

I guess that the real estate momentum there picked up once the POST and East River projects came along. That’s textbook real estate momentum there. I suppose the recent additions to UHD also help out.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 08-06-2023 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-07-2023, 07:52 PM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
I guess that the real estate momentum there picked up once the POST and East River projects came along. That’s textbook real estate momentum there. I suppose the recent additions to UHD also help out.
Plus the Astros project.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Plus the Astros project.
I actually originally included that and then edited it out. My reason is because the Astros District will likely interact more with the Avenida District. That said, the Astros project could potentially be the connecting force between the Eastern end of downtown to the new developments in northern Downtown HOU.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:14 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post

I wish there was a large pedestrian bridge like the kind in Austin to connect the Post and UHD to the rest of Downtown.
Obviously I-10 running through that area doesn’t help at all but East River, The Southern side of Northside Village and Northern Downtown could really become a thing of some money is put to connecting the area to be more bike or pedestrian friendly especially with it being along the Bayou.

There’s already some Pedestrian infrastructure but it’s more in a hike and bike trail way than it is a centerpiece bridge. I feel like if those neighborhoods can enjoy some sort of connection they’ll be able to bring more of a college crowd and more locals into Downtown and benefit everyone. Rather than Downtown still being primarily occupied by folks who drove 15+ minutes to get there.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I wish there was a large pedestrian bridge like the kind in Austin to connect the Post and UHD to the rest of Downtown.
Obviously I-10 running through that area doesn’t help at all but East River, The Southern side of Northside Village and Northern Downtown could really become a thing of some money is put to connecting the area to be more bike or pedestrian friendly especially with it being along the Bayou.

There’s already some Pedestrian infrastructure but it’s more in a hike and bike trail way than it is a centerpiece bridge. I feel like if those neighborhoods can enjoy some sort of connection they’ll be able to bring more of a college crowd and more locals into Downtown and benefit everyone. Rather than Downtown still being primarily occupied by folks who drove 15+ minutes to get there.
Don’t quote me on this. But I believe that the Buffalo Bayou Park expansion to the east involves a set of pedestrian bridges to connect East River to Downtown. I do know that expanding the bike network is in the plans. This expansion was announced not long after East River broke ground so it was likely a response to the project.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...n-17467754.php

Old 08-08-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Don’t quote me on this. But I believe that the Buffalo Bayou Park expansion to the east involves a set of pedestrian bridges to connect East River to Downtown. I do know that expanding the bike network is in the plans. This expansion was announced not long after East River broke ground so it was likely a response to the project.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...n-17467754.php

That looks fire. I’m really hoping it comes to fruition connecting that and Midtown more to Downtown would do wonders. The Northside and Northeast side is the area that feels least connected to Downtowns urban fabric.

Old 08-10-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
That looks fire. I’m really hoping it comes to fruition connecting that and Midtown more to Downtown would do wonders. The Northside and Northeast side is the area that feels least connected to Downtowns urban fabric.
There’s certainly more momentum along the Buffalo Bayou than there is in midtown. And not just downtown + east river. Also the in upper River Oaks, Memorial Dr, and so forth. There’s just so much going on there that we forget to cover it all (as was the case with the warehouse district project).

That said, I’m not too mad about it. I do realize that there’s a lot of potential in midtown. It’s directly between downtown and the Museum district-rice-TMC-Herman park corridor which in my opinion is the best continuous area. A construction boom in midtown would be a game changer.

But the area in Buffalo bayou has been a home run in integrating the bayou with the city. I hope that last segment of the Memorial trail completes soon.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
There’s certainly more momentum along the Buffalo Bayou than there is in midtown. And not just downtown + east river. Also the in upper River Oaks, Memorial Dr, and so forth. There’s just so much going on there that we forget to cover it all (as was the case with the warehouse district project).

That said, I’m not too mad about it. I do realize that there’s a lot of potential in midtown. It’s directly between downtown and the Museum district-rice-TMC-Herman park corridor which in my opinion is the best continuous area. A construction boom in midtown would be a game changer.

But the area in Buffalo bayou has been a home run in integrating the bayou with the city. I hope that last segment of the Memorial trail completes soon.
I think Midtown could fill out with just the 5+1s and not need to do too much in the way of “boom” with really iconic buildings. But I don’t know if you would want that for that area. I think density that’s good and urban for density’s sake is good, but I also see the benefit of filling out a region with taller more iconic residential towers.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:53 AM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
I think Midtown could fill out with just the 5+1s and not need to do too much in the way of “boom” with really iconic buildings. But I don’t know if you would want that for that area. I think density that’s good and urban for density’s sake is good, but I also see the benefit of filling out a region with taller more iconic residential towers.
Going taller than 5+1 usually means going to the high-rise building code and steel or concrete framing; you can't do wood anymore. So, you have to be confident that you can get the rents (or sales prices for condos) needed to justify the higher construction costs plus land cost, not mention sufficiently rapid absorption at those prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston