Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2023, 02:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m glad this is finally being done. Memorial Park and Buffalo Bayou Park plan a $35 million trail to integrate and bridge the 2 parks.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...g-trail/?amp=1
Amen to that, way overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 10:45 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Amen to that, way overdue.
Just a few weeks ago I mentioned this project should be done

QUOTE=ParaguaneroSwag;65672840]There’s certainly more momentum along the Buffalo Bayou than there is in midtown. And not just downtown + east river. Also the in upper River Oaks, Memorial Dr, and so forth. There’s just so much going on there that we forget to cover it all (as was the case with the warehouse district project).

That said, I’m not too mad about it. I do realize that there’s a lot of potential in midtown. It’s directly between downtown and the Museum district-rice-TMC-Herman park corridor which in my opinion is the best continuous area. A construction boom in midtown would be a game changer.

But the area in Buffalo bayou has been a home run in integrating the bayou with the city. I hope that last segment of the Memorial trail completes soon.[/quote]

What should I reverse jinx next?

Old 09-10-2023, 11:56 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Just a few weeks ago I mentioned this project should be done

QUOTE=ParaguaneroSwag;65672840]There’s certainly more momentum along the Buffalo Bayou than there is in midtown. And not just downtown + east river. Also the in upper River Oaks, Memorial Dr, and so forth. There’s just so much going on there that we forget to cover it all (as was the case with the warehouse district project).

That said, I’m not too mad about it. I do realize that there’s a lot of potential in midtown. It’s directly between downtown and the Museum district-rice-TMC-Herman park corridor which in my opinion is the best continuous area. A construction boom in midtown would be a game changer.

But the area in Buffalo bayou has been a home run in integrating the bayou with the city. I hope that last segment of the Memorial trail completes soon.

What should I reverse jinx next?[/quote]

Sharpstown/Gulfton redevelopment!!!! Or If not that area the entire stretch of Westhemier but especially between Westheimer and Westpark. An area that would be less directly beneficial to me but I’ve always felt like never got enough love would be the Northshore area or the rural nature of Aldine. With the growth of Montgomery County it’s kind of crazy to me how Rural that area feels, you can literally drive North West and South to much denser neighborhoods.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
What should I reverse jinx next?
Sharpstown/Gulfton redevelopment!!!! Or If not that area the entire stretch of Westhemier but especially between Westheimer and Westpark. An area that would be less directly beneficial to me but I’ve always felt like never got enough love would be the Northshore area or the rural nature of Aldine. With the growth of Montgomery County it’s kind of crazy to me how Rural that area feels, you can literally drive North West and South to much denser neighborhoods.[/quote]

If done right, I could see the BRT lines injecting some development along the stations. Especially in Gulfton .

Old 09-10-2023, 12:56 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,816,648 times
Quote:
If done right, I could see the BRT lines injecting some development along the stations. Especially in Gulfton .
I think that area is going to be injected with development regardless. The quality is the wildcard.

There is a balance to weigh.
That area is very popular with immigrants.
The density there reflects the willingness to settle for that area. Large scale redevelopment of the area may mean appealing to an entirely different demographic.

The only way the area maintains it's density is to incorporate lower income housing. Higher income families have more choices and more room to consider things like schools and perception of the area.

Gulton will still be attractive to immigrants if it is affordable. But what sort of developments will come to the area if the goal is to maintain affordability?

I'm just hoping that new units are built to the street and parking is kept to the back or in garages. But Houston might surprise me and show that it is genuinely changing and redeveop each block to look like this: https://imgur.io/n15CMe8

Old 09-13-2023, 10:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 3,221,287 times
the issue is you have to raze the apartment complexes to really make a dent in the SW Area - that's the problem why it became what it is

Old 09-14-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
the issue is you have to raze the apartment complexes to really make a dent in the SW Area - that's the problem why it became what it is
I disagree. There’s other ways to develop. You just need better streetside infrastructure. The most you may have to do to apartments to create street side activity is perhaps turn street facing apartments into commercial real estate.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I disagree. There’s other ways to develop. You just need better streetside infrastructure. The most you may have to do to apartments to create street side activity is perhaps turn street facing apartments into commercial real estate.
I generally agree. While there should be effort to make sure the apartments are in livable condition, regardless of rent levels, the effort should focus on what the public sector can control and the private / nonprofit sector can contribute to: the public environment. Streets, sidewalks, parks etc. No reason Gulfton should have unsafe, unshaded streets with poor sidewalks; in fact, you could say they deserve them more than most places because so many residents there depend on walking / biking / transit.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I generally agree. While there should be effort to make sure the apartments are in livable condition, regardless of rent levels, the effort should focus on what the public sector can control and the private / nonprofit sector can contribute to: the public environment. Streets, sidewalks, parks etc. No reason Gulfton should have unsafe, unshaded streets with poor sidewalks; in fact, you could say they deserve them more than most places because so many residents there depend on walking / biking / transit.
As far as my knowledge, the BioPort is the only huge project I could see injecting instant gentrification to Gulfton and surrounding neighborhoods. It is indeed a huge project though so it certainly could have a quick impact when the high end manufacturing centers begin breaking ground.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
As far as my knowledge, the BioPort is the only huge project I could see injecting instant gentrification to Gulfton and surrounding neighborhoods. It is indeed a huge project though so it certainly could have a quick impact when the high end manufacturing centers begin breaking ground.
It's a lot closer to Meyerland / Westbury than Gulfton and Sharpstown though.

Gulfton is literally adjacent to Uptown, but that hasn't yet gentrified it. The issue is that those apartment complexes, despite not having high lease rates, stay full and throw off lots of cash for their owners. That makes the investment value very high, so the financial hurdle to acquire and redevelop or reposition is also very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston