Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2023, 08:15 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is the neighborhood north of hobby no where near as run down as it used to be? Is this a gentrifying area or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 09:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,816,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Is it just me or is the neighborhood north of hobby no where near as run down as it used to be? Is this a gentrifying area or something
Not sure about gentrification, but there were upgrades to the Broadway area. New life is usually breathed into the area every 10 years or so.

The apartments in the area are all owned by one guy so when one goes down they all down.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Meyerland Mall up for sale, any buyers?

Houston-based Fidelis Realty Partners has put Meyerland Plaza up for sale after ushering in major improvements including a new two-story H-E-B grocery store during a decade of ownership.

The iconic shopping center at the southwest corner of Loop 610 and Beechnut Street in the Meyerland and Bellaire neighborhoods was developed in the 1950s. It was modernized with spaces for big box tenants in the 1990s by late Houston developer Ed Wulfe.

The old neighborhood is making a comeback, hopefully.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...fternoonReport

Old 08-24-2023, 07:40 PM

137 posts, read 216,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Meyerland Mall up for sale, any buyers?

Houston-based Fidelis Realty Partners has put Meyerland Plaza up for sale after ushering in major improvements including a new two-story H-E-B grocery store during a decade of ownership.

The iconic shopping center at the southwest corner of Loop 610 and Beechnut Street in the Meyerland and Bellaire neighborhoods was developed in the 1950s. It was modernized with spaces for big box tenants in the 1990s by late Houston developer Ed Wulfe.

The old neighborhood is making a comeback, hopefully.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...fternoonReport
Comeback? When did it fall off?

Old 08-24-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
Comeback? When did it fall off?
It was pretty empty 20 years ago.
But you are right, it is already at comeback stage.

Bed Bath and Beyond and Palais Royal going out of business were major tenant loses recently, but those were national closures and not anything to do with Meyerland itself.

Healthy stores, such as bath and body works in Meyerland gets super busy. The restaurants in that area seem to get really busy too. Or at least they did before covid.

Meyerland itself has been hit repeatedly by flooding in the last decade. I would imagine that has had an effect on residents, which in turn affects retail.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It was pretty empty 20 years ago.
But you are right, it is already at comeback stage.

Bed Bath and Beyond and Palais Royal going out of business were major tenant loses recently, but those were national closures and not anything to do with Meyerland itself.

Healthy stores, such as bath and body works in Meyerland gets super busy. The restaurants in that area seem to get really busy too. Or at least they did before covid.

Meyerland itself has been hit repeatedly by flooding in the last decade. I would imagine that has had an effect on residents, which in turn affects retail.
Yes, I was speaking of the broader neighborhood, and I think Southwest Houston in general. I haven't checked it out in a while if it has already rebounded then I think that is fantastic, good to hear.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:27 PM

5,616 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yes, I was speaking of the broader neighborhood, and I think Southwest Houston in general. I haven't checked it out in a while if it has already rebounded then I think that is fantastic, good to hear.
For whatever reason, the southwest part of the "Anglo arrow", including Meyerland, doesn't get the investment in trendy places (restaurants etc.) that places like Montrose / Upper Kirby, Washington, and The Heights do. I think the age profile in the southwest area (specifically affluent Anglos) skews older and more family-oriented, which may have something to do with it.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:00 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
1533 N Shepherd

Another development that didn’t make its way here which is starting to open. I like the street side retail design

I see a lot of construction going on in this area. Will be interesting to see the area in 5 years.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
1533 N Shepherd

Another development that didn’t make its way here which is starting to open. I like the street side retail design

I see a lot of construction going on in this area. Will be interesting to see the area in 5 years.
Perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say Houston streetscapes are changing.

The used car lot with the building set back 40 feet from the road is gone. Replaced with mixed use, multi- floor, reduced set back building with streetfronting retail.

People get excited when they see giant towers, I get excited when I see change like this.
If Houston continue focusing on street level like this it will become a whole different city.

The self storage across the street is a downer though

Old 08-25-2023, 12:07 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say Houston streetscapes are changing.

The used car lot with the building set back 40 feet from the road is gone. Replaced with mixed use, multi- floor, reduced set back building with streetfronting retail.

People get excited when they see giant towers, I get excited when I see change like this.
If Houston continue focusing on street level like this it will become a whole different city.

The self storage across the street is a downer though
I can’t hate on self-storage one downside to denser living is a lack of space and I see places like that as a necessity the denser Houston gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston