Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2023, 08:33 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times

Advertisements

https://abc13.com/amp/i45-expansion-...sial/14036342/
Quote:
After years of planning, studying, and designing, followed by public protests and a county lawsuit, the expansion of I-45 through downtown is on the horizon.
Looks like they are starting with the last segment 1st. The last segment is the one through downtown. It's the most controversial segment soo once this part is done the other segments shouldn't cause as many problem.

Hopefully they don't take 20 years just to complete the downtown segment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 08:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I on the other hand love the religious cowboy stereotyoes. It adds a nice bit of humor. But all the geographically impossible angles, They do that to appeal to everyone. The driving distances to Houston and Dallas are both too close which is exactly what King of the Hill did. When Bobby drove to Houston every day for work but in other episodes, a drive to Dallas took the same time. They even did a fairly quick day trip to Marfa.

But at least Young Sheldon makes it clear they’re somewhere in East Texas. It surely seems to be north of MoCo from how it’s presented. But it does explain why you see things such aa the Oilers and Continental Airlines and those types of references.
I've always assumed that it was basically either Nacogdoches or Huntsville because of the university / college element of the show. Though no mention of a prison in town, so that gives the edge to Nac.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:07 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've always assumed that it was basically either Nacogdoches or Huntsville because of the university / college element of the show. Though no mention of a prison in town, so that gives the edge to Nac.
Are you referring to king of the hill or young Sheldon?

Old 11-10-2023, 09:36 AM

Texas is over stereotyped sure, but that sells more than any thing else in Texas. That’s why the Houston rodeo is what it is. Buc ees. Texas Roadhouse. And that’s why King of the Hill and Young Sheldon had the success they had.

I don’t know about others but I find it entertaining in the sense that it makes a good laugh. Some people be like “they’re making the world think Texas is full of cowboys” which at least used to be true. But that doesn’t really matter. I hope the world continues to think that so we stay entertained.

Old 11-10-2023, 12:15 PM

I think it's stupid because it never allows the cities to differenciate itself from the state.
How can a city develop it's identity when it is stereotyped to be something it is not.

It's not cute or funny. It just perpetuates the Texas is just country cowboy stereotype.
No wonder half of City Data finds it hard to place where Texas's big cities are culturally.
No wonder many say these cities lack culture.

Houston had that city of the future/ space city vibe going, but it lost that vibe.

Florida has this trailer swamp image, yet Miami was able to break away from that and build its own image.

What's so great about a show portraying a city in Texas to be like it is in Arizona?

When I was in Europe and told people I lived in Texas they would ask if people rose horses to work or whether people wore cowboy boots and hats everywhere. Yeah, those were very ignorant questions, but who could blame them?

The occasional cowboy reference may be cute, but when they go all in on it , it just seems ridiculous.

It would be more on character to show Young Sheldon trying to pilot a spaceship than him being accosted by a dairy cow with desert/mountains in the backdrop.
Heck, replace the mountains with wetlands and the cow with a gator and that would be more on point.

I guess it's nice to be mentioned at all, but those are really low standards.
A show like Mo is much better in that instance showcases multiple layers of SE Texas culture

Old 11-10-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I think it's stupid because it never allows the cities to differenciate itself from the state.
How can a city develop it's identity when it is stereotyped to be something it is not.

It's not cute or funny. It just perpetuates the Texas is just country cowboy stereotype.
No wonder half of City Data finds it hard to place where Texas's big cities are culturally.
No wonder many say these cities lack culture.

Houston had that city of the future/ space city vibe going, but it lost that vibe.

Florida has this trailer swamp image, yet Miami was able to break away from that and build its own image.

What's so great about a show portraying a city in Texas to be like it is in Arizona?

When I was in Europe and told people I lived in Texas they would ask if people rose horses to work or whether people wore cowboy boots and hats everywhere. Yeah, those were very ignorant questions, but who could blame them?

The occasional cowboy reference may be cute, but when they go all in on it , it just seems ridiculous.

It would be more on character to show Young Sheldon trying to pilot a spaceship than him being accosted by a dairy cow with desert/mountains in the backdrop.
Heck, replace the mountains with wetlands and the cow with a gator and that would be more on point.

I guess it's nice to be mentioned at all, but those are really low standards.
A show like Mo is much better in that instance showcases multiple layers of SE Texas culture
That’s just the theme song. The landscape of where they actually live is completely different and resembles more so East Texas or somewhere near Conroe. There’s plenty of NASA references in the actual show. Even one of the super collider in Waxahachie that I didn’t know about. Would’ve been cool if they finished that. And they have a bunch of 80s and 90s references to Houston such as the Oilers, Continental Airlines, and so forth. They had a hotel called the Piney Woods resort that had the same logo as Woodforest national Bank. In the Big Bang theory they flew to Houston to get to their mom‘s house so I guess it’s not too much of a surprise that the location is in greater Houston but I figured it would be a tad bit farther north.

Miami is a global brand more so than cities in Texas. Texas cities are starting to stand out a little more with their own cultural vibes. At least Austin and Houston are. But neither are Miami in terms of global recognition, so it will be a lot longer to roll out in that sense.

Old 11-10-2023, 12:56 PM

Hmm, then they need to change the theme intro then. I could never go past that.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Are you referring to king of the hill or young Sheldon?
Young Sheldon, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 11-10-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Hmm, then they need to change the theme intro then. I could never go past that.
There was a movie (cable or TV movie I think, but I could be wrong) with Bill Paxton (a native Texan) as Sam Houston that depicted the Texas War of Independence. It showed events taking place in the eastern half of the state (by today's boundaries) with a mountain backdrop; it was obviously filmed elsewhere. Texas viewers rightly guffawed at this. I'm surprised Paxton (RIP) acceded to it.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Young Sheldon, sorry if I wasn't clear.
Medford is fictional so it won’t be based on an actual town. However, if I had to pick one I’d say Willis. Here’s why

1. very small town but not way backwoods
2. Oilers country
3. Driving distance to IAH (Continental Airlines airlines hub shows in the background)
4. Piney woods landscape
5. A University within drive able distance (Sam Houston)
6. Close but far to Houston.
7. As mentioned, they put Medford within Montgomery county lines in the map

Maybe Conroe in the 80s/early 90s was small enough to be fitting for the town the show bases on. And the Houston sprawl maybe hadn’t quite caught to Conroe yet

They also mention at some point that they were born in Galveston but moved north when the father got fired from Galveston school district

I will say though that the tornado episode is unlike an event that would take place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston