Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 08:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times

Advertisements

Our current home almost meets our needs. Wish the previous owners would have included an extra half garage storage space and covered patio when they built the house, but they didn't. Those were both builder options for the house plan. Many houses in our neighborhood has these, but not us.

Looked at buying another house, but the inventory is abysmal, prices are terrible, and to simply get what we want means buying a "lot more house" that we don't really need.

A covered patio is simple enough. But I'm totally stumped about the storage. Adding the half garage at this stage is not practical, since that would mess the roof line and likely add considerable cost.

Thinking:
1) Somehow add storage to the covered patio - is there a way to do it while it still looks good? Possibly add a sun/mud room and then the covered patio?
2) Add below roof "half garage" shingled roof "bump out" storage over a concrete slab. Concerns with that are will HOA approve and our gas meter is located right in the middle of garage on outside - not sure how hard or expensive that is to move.
3) Open to suggestions

Selling our house will cost us $30k in realtor commissions fees, not to mention additional closing costs and expenses with moving and buying a more expensive house in this market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 08:45 PM

Additionally, are there any solutions for storing two full size bicycles, before anything else is done? We have NO space in the garage, and they would be eyesore being out in the main house. These are good Cannondale style bicycles that we want to protect/secure.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,257 times
My assumption is your garage is up to the wazoo with items or you use it to park cars.
There are great solutions for ceiling mount and wall stands for bikes, but yes you will need space to some degree.
There are also great storage solutions to mount in your garage ceiling and even the space above your garage door (towards the front).

My guess is if you are building a patio from scratch, then surely you can spec it to have some storage. You may not get the super high ceiling that most modern patio's have (assuming your rear elevation isn't flat). In a case where you can create a high roof pitch for the patio, you can add storage there and access it via an attic door style. My other thought is if you are doing a patio, then ask for an attached storage to the side, kind of like a closet. Would help if you post pics of what you are working with.

Doing an extension of the garage would be the most expensive, probably not practical.

Why not just an outdoor storage, tiny backyard ?

Old 01-26-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
My assumption is your garage is up to the wazoo with items or you use it to park cars.
There are great solutions for ceiling mount and wall stands for bikes, but yes you will need space to some degree.
There are also great storage solutions to mount in your garage ceiling and even the space above your garage door (towards the front).

My guess is if you are building a patio from scratch, then surely you can spec it to have some storage. You may not get the super high ceiling that most modern patio's have (assuming your rear elevation isn't flat). In a case where you can create a high roof pitch for the patio, you can add storage there and access it via an attic door style. My other thought is if you are doing a patio, then ask for an attached storage to the side, kind of like a closet. Would help if you post pics of what you are working with.

Doing an extension of the garage would be the most expensive, probably not practical.

Why not just an outdoor storage, tiny backyard ?
Ok. That is what I feared, garage storage is out due to expense and complication.

We park our cars in garage and already have shelves along the walls. Modern garages are too small to fit bicycles with our vehicles. Do NOT want to park outside. I HATED that when living in apartments and that was a huge improvement in quality of life to park inside garage.

This is not our house, but our back looks a bit like this:
https://www.har.com/homedetail/6742-...-77479/2522401

We have a lot of backyard space. However want semi climate controlled, protected from elements, criteria

Could probably add a storage shed to get tools out of the garage, but still not enough space for a bike.

Over ceiling in garage I'd be nervous about damaging cars, and would still have to move cars to get to bike, so high "activation energy" to get to them means will use bikes rarely.

Thought about adding a mudroom and/or sunroom to the back of the house along patio, but not sure if that would work for a house similar to the photo.

I have up to $60k to work with if needed. Worth it if means not having to move which I've estimated will cost us well over $200k given expenses and today's market.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:32 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
There are all sizes of sheds; surely there's something big enough for bikes?

Old 01-26-2022, 10:02 AM

392 posts, read 316,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Additionally, are there any solutions for storing two full size bicycles, before anything else is done? We have NO space in the garage, and they would be eyesore being out in the main house. These are good Cannondale style bicycles that we want to protect/secure.
I would get a $2K storage shed for tools and bikes if the bikes are less than 5K. Five years from now, the bikes will be only worth 1-2K....so it's not worth it to spend 10-20K for a patio cover (unless you want a patio cover). I would keep the bikes locked and add a sensor alarm on the shed. Take photos for insurance coverage.

If they are top of the line Cannondale Black Inc with Dura-Ace that costs over 10K, then I would keep them inside the house.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,257 times
So I ran it through AutoCAD and here's an idea.

Curios if you have similar side yard in the rear. Depending on what is on that wall, and assuming no easements, you can easily tear out a hole put a door and add that extension. Sounds similar to the garage, but since there is less curb appeal you have less to worry about in terms of making it look good for the purpose of keeping HOA happy and not just a block on the side of your garage. That's also assuming you have a clean wall and don't mind a door of some sort. A/C guys may be able to run a duct and keep it controlled or you can add a ductless system if you plan to keep sensitive items there.

My other thought was, go with a high angle patio, and actually use that space for storage, versus the open look with lights and exposed beams. Maybe even tap into your current attic space, similar to what that 2 story house on the left has. NOt sure if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Potential Patio + Storage Addition - how to approach-capture.jpg  

Old 01-26-2022, 01:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,521,447 times
I have Tuff Shed with maximum size allowed by HOA (96 sf). It provides plenty of storage space, not only for the bikes but also a lot of other stuff.
Tuff Sheds are pretty nice. I would like to buy land, install bunch of Tuff Sheds and rent them out on Airbnb

Old 01-26-2022, 03:35 PM

567 posts, read 1,621,778 times
I got same issue, but I want to have space to work on my toys - my plan is to get a shed (sometimes costco has ones for sale 8x10 i think), kick out all lawn / garden equipment out to the shed, put my bike rack to the side of the garage (4 bikes). I'll be able to park wife's car, my 2 motorcycles and have workspace. Now, we can't park the car.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I got same issue, but I want to have space to work on my toys - my plan is to get a shed (sometimes costco has ones for sale 8x10 i think), kick out all lawn / garden equipment out to the shed, put my bike rack to the side of the garage (4 bikes). I'll be able to park wife's car, my 2 motorcycles and have workspace. Now, we can't park the car.

Thanks for the shed suggestions. I actually do want a covered patio with a light and fan to be able to sit outside in the summer. Does it make sense to also add a mud or sun room, or just do the patio and get a shed?

HOA allows sheds but requires them to be wood construction with shingled roofs. Below fence line sheds may have some exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston