Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston boring or fun?
Boring 16 35.56%
Fun 22 48.89%
Idk/I wanna see results 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 08:20 AM

24 posts, read 13,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Ya but how can you make friends when you don’t even see people like 100 ft from you lol. At least when you have all these people passing you, you can start a conversation with them.
Houston has plenty of social events and places where people chat with one another. It's a city full of a lot of transplants. From my experience, cities full of transplants are often easier for social people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 08:51 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
The OP needs to tell us what part of town she resided in when she was here.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:00 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket123 View Post
Ya but how can you make friends when you don’t even see people like 100 ft from you lol. At least when you have all these people passing you, you can start a conversation with them.
There’s these places called malls, clubs, bars, and stadiums that have people very close to eachother. You should check them out sometime.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:53 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,088 times
Where the parents were? Instead of practicing Koran she was looking for fun...

Old 06-02-2022, 10:54 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Where the parents were? Instead of practicing Koran she was looking for fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Old 06-03-2022, 05:49 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,064,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgotTheMilk View Post
"Boring" is of course a relative term for different folks in different phases of life. My experience has been that Houston is very work-focused and thus meets many folks' definition of 'boring,' and entertainment and transportation habits have been built around that. Most folks are primarily interested in commuting into work and then commuting out to the suburbs in air-conditioned comfort, as it's too uncomfortable to stay outside. I've tried to organize meetups for various activities in town for years, but it was difficult to get people to stay in town on weeknights after work, as everything is so spread out, meaning folks would have to drive and park again somewhere else, and that's just not very appealing. In other cities like Boston or Chicago you're able to hop on public transportation and go to another office to attend an after-work event, so these saw a lot more success.

In terms of outdoors, Houston can also be a bit boring, as really fun outdoors options are about 1.5 hours drive away (decent beaches, Big Think, etc). The hiking and biking options that are locally accessible aren't really all that spectacular compared with Austin, Portland or Seattle.

Coming from NYC, the walkability of neighborhoods in Houston is going to be a sharp contrast for the OP. I live in Montrose, often advertised as Houston's premier eclectic/walkable neighborhood, and there are only a few street corners I'd say you could park and make a multiple-stop, walkable afternoon event. Most other times you're driving from location to location spread across town.

On the plus side. as of others have said, there's a very diverse array of dining options at all levels of affordability.
Several helpful responses on this thread…and this is perhaps the best ForgotTheMilk!

Old 06-03-2022, 08:12 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
I've been in Houston for most of the last 45+ years. I've never been bored.

Old 06-04-2022, 02:08 PM

20 posts, read 8,613 times
Houston always gets hater post like this one. No other Texas city gets this type of hate.

The king of TX has always been houston.

They go after the king in hopes of taking the crown.

But houston is established

Old 06-04-2022, 03:44 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerKing View Post
Houston always gets hater post like this one. No other Texas city gets this type of hate.

The king of TX has always been houston.

They go after the king in hopes of taking the crown.

But houston is established
Cringe. Btw a couple of months ago, there was a similar thread in the Dallas forum. Between this one and that one, this comment has been the one that took it most offensive. You can't please everyone. I don't find Houston boring, but some people will. Who cares?

Old 06-04-2022, 05:26 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I disagree.

I like NYC too but, IMO, the people in Houston are 'chattier'.
I'm with the OP on this. While people in Houston smile more it's harder to hear a stranger's story there. Interactions tend to stay at the superficial level and there seems to be less curiosity about others.
Of course this can vary by neighborhood in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston