Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 09:33 AM

312 posts, read 281,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfarm_ View Post
I take 290 every day and rarely have issues since construction has finished. Compared to back then, it's a breeze. There's still the occasional accident, but that's anywhere in Houston...
Shhh, keep it a secret. Let everyone think 290 is still terrible. Those who know *know* what it’s really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 08:32 AM

828 posts, read 772,300 times
Everybody is at risk for rezoning. When we moved in we were sending little Lana to an elementary school I could hit with a rock from my front yard. The next school year we were rezoned 10 miles away.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:50 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
We are a family of 4 considering a move to Houston.
My sons are 10 and 12.
Schools are important.
We are looking for communities with good amenities. Swimming/Tennis/Basketball. Since we are moving from out of state our hope is that kids can meet other kids of their age.
Our jobs are remote but we still hope for a reasonable commute(less than 1 hour) to a future tech job in downtown.
If you work from home, it may not matter where you live. You mentioned love of diversity, but also want exclusivity in public schools. Have you considered Houston proper, in a marginalized community and using savings to send the kids to a private school? In some communities near Houston, high speed Internet is not guaranteed. The further out you go, the less assured you can be of the access you require to work from home.

Water, water quality, heat and humidity may not be something anticipated by many from the other climates. Often there is no zoning. This is taken for granted by many. Would a Sonic opening up next door upset you? If so, an HOA may offer protection. Septic systems in the North and Mid-West tend to be underground and passive, Texas almost exclusively uses aerated septic's, which blow the output on top of your lawn weekly. They also require active aeration pumps (to pump air into a center tank). Maintenance of aerated septic tanks is more involved than those in other areas that use leeching fields and only need to be cleaned every few years.

Does you home have city water and sewer, if so, how expensive is it, and have there been problems in the past?

It occurs to me it isn't only schools that are important when making a decision to move. A garage in Texas may rust tools or have a slippery floor due to high humidity and high dew point. A garage in other areas does not suffer from these concerns. My suggestion is investigate a bit outside the concerns you'd have moving to a similar state or similar area. Texas may be different for someone from a cooler or dryer climate. Particularly gulf Texas.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:46 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfarm_ View Post
I take 290 every day and rarely have issues since construction has finished. Compared to back then, it's a breeze. There's still the occasional accident, but that's anywhere in Houston...

I agree.

I live in Copperfield and 290 is WAY better than it used to be, especially in the mornings. In the afternoons, 290 can be stop and go between the Beltway and Barker-Cypress but many times it is moving well.

290 is WAY better than I-10 West, as I am on both several times a week, due to my job.

Being able to get from Bridgeland or Town Lake to downtown in under an hour is REALLY going to be pushing things.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:14 AM

332 posts, read 260,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
I agree.

I live in Copperfield and 290 is WAY better than it used to be, especially in the mornings. In the afternoons, 290 can be stop and go between the Beltway and Barker-Cypress but many times it is moving well.

290 is WAY better than I-10 West, as I am on both several times a week, due to my job.

Being able to get from Bridgeland or Town Lake to downtown in under an hour is REALLY going to be pushing things.
People who complain about 290 traffic likely haven't actually been on the highway in years. Post construction, traffic on 290 is nothing compared to what is seen daily on 10, 45, 59, or 610

Old 06-28-2022, 09:29 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
People who complain about 290 traffic likely haven't actually been on the highway in years. Post construction, traffic on 290 is nothing compared to what is seen daily on 10, 45, 59, or 610
For now. Over the next 10-15 years, 290 from Cypress to Waller is going to be one of the top development corridors, so to the extent that people are using 290 to commute, traffic conditions will deteriorate again.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:13 PM

467 posts, read 778,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
For now. Over the next 10-15 years, 290 from Cypress to Waller is going to be one of the top development corridors, so to the extent that people are using 290 to commute, traffic conditions will deteriorate again.
Huge opportunity for growth in this area

Old 07-01-2022, 10:53 AM

234 posts, read 424,775 times
All those communities you mentioned are within your desired commute time, depending on traffic conditions. My commute leaving at 5am/6am is about 35-40 minutes to downtown from katy. If you like Katy, then south of I-10/West of 99 is your bet in terms of area, schools, etc. so that includes Cinco, Seven Lakes, Cross Creek (most is zoned to katy isd). Rezoning in south katy probably won't happen anymore as that area is getting built out. This is considered "Katy Proper".

If you want newer construction homes but still in Katy, Elyson, Cane Island & maybe Sunterra (new community in Katy) are the best communities North of I-10/West of 99. The schools zoned to Northwest Katy are ok (Katy High, Katy Jr High) but not as good as South Katy. A new Jr High and High School is planned far Northwest of Katy in the Elyson area. Hope these turn out better than Stockdick JH and Paetow HS.

Bridgeland (I would move there if I wasn't settled in Katy) and Towne Lake, in my opinion, are the best in Cypress. So the schools zoned to these communities are good too as well as providing newer construction homes.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 19,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
All those communities you mentioned are within your desired commute time, depending on traffic conditions. My commute leaving at 5am/6am is about 35-40 minutes to downtown from katy. If you like Katy, then south of I-10/West of 99 is your bet in terms of area, schools, etc. so that includes Cinco, Seven Lakes, Cross Creek (most is zoned to katy isd). Rezoning in south katy probably won't happen anymore as that area is getting built out. This is considered "Katy Proper".

If you want newer construction homes but still in Katy, Elyson, Cane Island & maybe Sunterra (new community in Katy) are the best communities North of I-10/West of 99. The schools zoned to Northwest Katy are ok (Katy High, Katy Jr High) but not as good as South Katy. A new Jr High and High School is planned far Northwest of Katy in the Elyson area. Hope these turn out better than Stockdick JH and Paetow HS.

Bridgeland (I would move there if I wasn't settled in Katy) and Towne Lake, in my opinion, are the best in Cypress. So the schools zoned to these communities are good too as well as providing newer construction homes.

Good luck.

Just curious as to why you elude to Stockdick JH and Paetow HS in this way? I am looking at Elyson with a school aged child and schools are really important.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:45 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker7979 View Post
Just curious as to why you elude to Stockdick JH and Paetow HS in this way? I am looking at Elyson with a school aged child and schools are really important.
because the schools turned colorful quickly and folks who spent some major cash on a house could not fathom those demographics 33 miles from downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston