Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 02:13 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
So, no real issues with drop boxes, other than you don't like them.

Some people want to make sure their ballot makes it to the election officials without risking the mail, where the chances of your ballot disappearing are much higher than one in a billion, and the chances it gets delayed past the deadline are very high.

Who might not want to walk into the poll location? People with mobility issues. People with cancer. People with COPD. People who don't like crowds or lines.

Why does the right hate for people to be able to vote more easily?
Because when more people vote, more republicans lose. It’s a phenomenon going back several decades and everyone already knows this.

If voting were compulsory like in Belgium or Australia, today’s Republican Party would become irrelevant and illegitimate.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:35 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Wide spread mail-in voting simply is not a secure system and defeats two sacrosanct tenets of vote integrity: secrecy and verification. These vote drop-boxes are in unsecured location. No one verifies that the person handling the votes is authorized to do so. And there is no robust form to verify that the actual voter was the one who completed the ballot. It's banana republic level bullsh*t.

There is no legitimate reason for widespread mail-in voting. It has never been easier to vote in-person. The only reason to continue pushing mail-in voting is if you benefit from vote fraud. If you have a legitimate reason for not voting in person (travelling or health issues) then we have absentee voting available.

How? If I fill out the application for a mail in ballot, the county clerk has my signature. They can also get it and my fingerprints from my TDL.

Then I get a ballot. It has a bar code on it specifically for me. Someone at my address could vote my ballot. Can they forge my signature? I can drop it in the mail, or a drop box, or I can just take it to a polling place and give it to the election clerk. At counting time, they check the signature that on the outside envelope. Do whatever they do with the envelope. Then they get my ballot out of the inside envelope.

Where is the massive opportunity for fraud.

Old 09-15-2022, 03:29 PM

679 posts, read 275,501 times
Quote:

Some people want to make sure their ballot makes it to the election officials without risking the mail, where the chances of your ballot disappearing are much higher than one in a billion, and the chances it gets delayed past the deadline are very high.
Why do people on the left, who trust government with power over ever more areas of our lives, not trust the government postal service to deliver their ballots?

Old 09-15-2022, 03:35 PM

679 posts, read 275,501 times
Quote:

Who might not want to walk into the poll location? People with mobility issues. People with cancer. People with COPD. People who don't like crowds or lines.
Per HarrisVotes: "Voters physically unable to enter the polling location may also request to be allowed to vote at the “curbside” outside the polling location. "

Drop Boxes seem to be a solution in seach of a problem.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:10 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Why do people on the left, who trust government with power over ever more areas of our lives, not trust the government postal service to deliver their ballots?
Because the current Postmaster General, appointed by the previous President, managed to slow down mail prior to the 2020 election, causing late deliveries, lost mail, and myriad other issues. In many areas, mailboxes are broken into and mail is stolen or destroyed. The USPS is an independent agency of the Executive Branch, and is not operated like a standard government entity.

Besides that, some people just want to drop their ballot into a box controlled by election officials once they've filled it out. It doesn't hurt anything, and helps people trust that their vote is counted.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:28 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Quote:
Per HarrisVotes: "Voters physically unable to enter the polling location may also request to be allowed to vote at the “curbside” outside the polling location. "

This whole conversation is a solution in search of a problem. Just let people vote. The only cases of voter fraud that have been unearthed, in all the digging, has been by a few Republicans with a partisan axe to grind, not by average voters. Move on.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:34 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:

And election clerks have been trained for many years to take the voting machines to the car of people who cannot enter the polling place.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:51 AM

225 posts, read 136,035 times
Voter fraud has been discovered and prosecuted - one example below. One issue is that voter fraud is very difficult to catch and prove. Furthermore, how do you know that a vote is not influenced by someone else when using mail-in voting? Requiring a photo ID at secured drop-boxes is certainly better than nothing but it still does not solve the issue of proving no one influenced the voters choices.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...20Victoria.pdf

Old 09-16-2022, 10:56 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Voter fraud has been discovered and prosecuted - one example below. One issue is that voter fraud is very difficult to catch and prove. Furthermore, how do you know that a vote is not influenced by someone else when using mail-in voting? Requiring a photo ID at secured drop-boxes is certainly better than nothing but it still does not solve the issue of proving no one influenced the voters choices.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...20Victoria.pdf
Despite your anec-data, it's just not backed up by actual data. Google "how common is voter fraud" and choose your preferred source. This was at the top of the list, as an example:
https://www.brennancenter.org/issues...th-voter-fraud

Old 09-16-2022, 11:01 AM

225 posts, read 136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Despite your anec-data, it's just not backed up by actual data. Google "how common is voter fraud" and choose your preferred source. This was at the top of the list, as an example:
https://www.brennancenter.org/issues...th-voter-fraud
Anecdotal data? I linked an actual indictment of election fraud. Your study is from a radical left wing group. I find it as compelling as you would probably find "2000 mules".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston