Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2023, 07:20 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,738,867 times

Advertisements

I may not get answers quickly enough, but may use them to come another time.

I’m in town for the Houston marathon and am looking for some east activities to do during the day Saturday. I’m a history (and genealogy nerd) and was looking at going yo the Czech scented museum and the Holocaust museum (within walking distance of each other. Would these be an easy quick. And worthwhile visit or are they more like quick walkthrough? Or should I go with the museum of natural history? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 10:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 2,196,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I may not get answers quickly enough, but may use them to come another time.

I’m in town for the Houston marathon and am looking for some east activities to do during the day Saturday. I’m a history (and genealogy nerd) and was looking at going yo the Czech scented museum and the Holocaust museum (within walking distance of each other. Would these be an easy quick. And worthwhile visit or are they more like quick walkthrough? Or should I go with the museum of natural history? Thoughts?
The Holocaust Museum can be covered in an hour or two. The Czech museum I've only been once but I seem to recall it was tiny. You can also do Asia Society and the African American Museum on the same day. There's also a museum on bicycles in the area if that's something of interest to you.

If you're more a history buff then MFAH would be a more interesting big museum than the Museum of Natural Science.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:28 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,044,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
The Holocaust Museum can be covered in an hour or two. The Czech museum I've only been once but I seem to recall it was tiny. You can also do Asia Society and the African American Museum on the same day. There's also a museum on bicycles in the area if that's something of interest to you.

If you're more a history buff then MFAH would be a more interesting big museum than the Museum of Natural Science.
…and all of those museums are within walking distance of each other in the Museum District. The Menil is also close by if you are an art lover. It is free.

The MFAH, Museum of Natural Science, etc. all have an entry fee for general admission and then additional charges for special exhibits.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:45 PM

Thanks, SanJac. I went to both and probably could have spent a bit more time in the Czech museum in their library doing some genealogy research. The Holocaust museum was about an hour and half. It was the perfect amount of time to spend on my feet before heading back to my hotel for the race tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:25 PM

15,579 posts, read 7,603,502 times
If you want to do genealogy research, there's also the Clayton Library on Caroline, which is dedicated to genealogy.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:21 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,646,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you want to do genealogy research, there's also the Clayton Library on Caroline, which is dedicated to genealogy.
Didn't know they had this. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2023, 09:16 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,063,871 times
The museum of natural science just reinstalled the Hall of the Americas... I haven't been yet, but if I were interested in history that would be at the top of my list!

Old 01-15-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I saw that while walking! I probably need to plan for that. And my brain is appropriately fried at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: