Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 AM

200 posts, read 633,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
NO DOUBT.....

where are you now and where are you looking to go??
I'm in the Florissant area right now, I'm just saving up money, finish paying off my car, and completing a few other things that needs to be taken care of before I leave. I'm shooting for somewhere in Houston I couldn't tell you where though as I've never been. Just some where with low crime of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 AM

189 posts, read 448,952 times
My husband wants to retire somewhere cooler so we can be more active outdoors. The summers are too hot to do much more than hibernate in a cool swimming pool.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 AM

82 posts, read 269,957 times
Default ATL and Denver

I orginally moved from Spring (North Houston suburb) for a new start in Denver when I was 21. Denver was fantastic as far as things to do, but after 6 years, I just couldn't take the winters anymore (I'll drive in a Houston flood ANY day before a Colorado icy road). My then-fiance, now-husband got a job offer here in ATL and we've given it 2 years. We're high-tailing it back to TX. I'm still deciding between DFW or SA, but am excited just to get back. My husband has only visited there 4 times and he loves it, even being a Colorado boy. He hates the summers, but loves the people. Most folks I talk to that were born and raised Texan want to or have gone back. It's just a way of life that I have not experienced in Den or ATL... that's just my little opinion.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 AM

130 posts, read 455,834 times
Gold Dust, I just got back to this posting. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate people who say what they think and think as they say.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:52 PM

46 posts, read 269,697 times
Moving to Houston 8/22 and boy I can't wait to leave metro Detroit behind!!! I moved to MI from Richmond, VA, and have been here 7 years-too long. I hated West Palm Beach, FL, where I originated from, and as long as I can remember I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there.

I laughed at I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA'S gripe about the heat in Houston-and it was only 88!! Ha!! I was like, did he mean to type 98? Cause you can go anywhere in the country and it will hit 88. I'm gonna love it.

Another person's paradise is another person's hell. All my husband and I could talk about this spring here was the complete LACK of one. Let's see:

Houston: 9 months of good weather, sunny/3 months hot weather
vs
Detroit: 9 months of cold to bitter cold weather and little sun/3 months good weather.

We decided to stop complaining and do something about it. Someone said they don't see anyone in Houston out and about b/c of the weather? Well that won't be us!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:53 PM

46 posts, read 269,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
My husband wants to retire somewhere cooler so we can be more active outdoors. The summers are too hot to do much more than hibernate in a cool swimming pool.

What about the rest of the year?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM

332 posts, read 1,324,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlynn View Post
Moving to Houston 8/22 and boy I can't wait to leave metro Detroit behind!!! I moved to MI from Richmond, VA, and have been here 7 years-too long. I hated West Palm Beach, FL, where I originated from, and as long as I can remember I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there.

I laughed at I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA'S gripe about the heat in Houston-and it was only 88!! Ha!! I was like, did he mean to type 98? Cause you can go anywhere in the country and it will hit 88. I'm gonna love it.

Another person's paradise is another person's hell. All my husband and I could talk about this spring here was the complete LACK of one. Let's see:

Houston: 9 months of good weather, sunny/3 months hot weather
vs
Detroit: 9 months of cold to bitter cold weather and little sun/3 months good weather.

We decided to stop complaining and do something about it. Someone said they don't see anyone in Houston out and about b/c of the weather? Well that won't be us!!!
One thing I sure don't miss about Michigan (or anywhere in the midwest and northeast) is all the salt used on the roads in the winter. HORRIBLE!

We had an ice storm while we lived there, and we were without power for 3 days and it got down to 0F at night. We ultimately had to abandon our house after the first night since the portable heaters and fireplaces couldn't keep up. We were so lucky that we had no water lines freeze. That experience was the final straw for us ever again living in a cold winter climate. Even if the A/C goes out in the summer, you can SURVIVE here.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 AM

283 posts, read 1,282,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
Great. Shoveling snow is very active and is outdoors.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 PM

663 posts, read 2,264,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlynn View Post
Good for you! Wishing you a safe move!!! Welcome to Houston!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
I lived in Houston and SE Texas for 12 years. Left recently as I was offered a corporate type position in Oklahoma. Cant say I enjoy the weather here, but at least Im not dealing with a hurricane again. Its OK here, but I'd have no prolem moving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston