Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:42 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times

Advertisements

back in the day, icehouses were GREAT places to go hang out, enjoy a few (inexpensive) cold ones and (at most) some decent food at (again) reasonable prices......

and i am educated and like to think i was easy on the eyes as a young woman.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Nope, another one.
so which ones of these vibrant shacks are you rooting for?
icehouse loc: Houston, TX - Google Maps

let me check it out sometime. shacks like these serve the freshest catch of the day and very popular in asia (near water of course). its not exactly a venue for one's princess daughter

Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
so which ones of these vibrant shacks are you rooting for?
icehouse loc: Houston, TX - Google Maps

let me check it out sometime. shacks like these serve the freshest catch of the day and very popular in asia (near water of course). its not exactly a venue for one's princess daughter
Take your pick. Here's a little on the history of Texas icehouses for you.
Texas Icehouses Melt Away : NPR

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Take your pick. Here's a little on the history of Texas icehouses for you.
Texas Icehouses Melt Away : NPR
its a common corner store? man, you guys should really get out of houston sometime. i have a feeling third-world watering holes is going to be an awesome experience for you folks. foot/back massage optional with your ice cold beer

"To me, the scent of spilled beer on the floor of a bar is like sweetness of flowers," he says
this is mr.right for someone. i sure hope not yours

Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Gosh, some days I really realize that I'm so lucky that it takes so little to make me happy in this world.
Life is Good. Hot, but good.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
i'm guessing that wysiwig has never deigned to sample this bit of local color......

Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i'm guessing that wysiwig has never deigned to sample this bit of local color......
what the? hey I had buffalo at that BBQ shack under the westpark tollway. i'd sample whatever you got

(i'm thinking of donating some nice car seats to this shack BTW)

Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM

134 posts, read 326,322 times
Although I might feel a little out of place, I actually think those kind of places seem kinda fun. Almost seems like the traditional Irish pub where the entire neighborhood/community gathered.

I just get a sense that there isn't that much community interaction. People drive to the local strip mall in their huge SUV, get groceries, perhaps drop by the fast food chain and then drive home and sit on their couch. Maybe that is a generalization but that is just the impression I get.

Perhaps some areas are different though. Midtown definitely didn't seem like that last summer although admittedly it didn't seem like many people live in Midtown for a very long time (maybe just a year or so). It's just so different from places I am used to (North End, Arlington VA, Alexandria, etc). Is the Heights more what I am looking for?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
One of the things I found disconcerting about Houston was a local attitude of shameless boosterism. Criticism of Houston was to be avoided, as if pointing out the significant flaws and shortcomings of the city was somehow unseemly.

...I post in the Houston forum because I like to point out these foibles and counter the shameless boosterism of some Houstonians and report that, contrary to what some may suggest, Houston is far from perfect and that -- horrors! -- there are places that are better.
Sounds like the mindset of people here in Kentucky. I point out the positive and negative aspects of Ky. on its forum, but often times it isn't "sufficient."

I've narrowed my choices down to Houston, Ft. Worth, Atlanta, and Chicago as prospective new places to live.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM

663 posts, read 2,264,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2008 View Post
I just get a sense that there isn't that much community interaction. People drive to the local strip mall in their huge SUV, get groceries, perhaps drop by the fast food chain and then drive home and sit on their couch. Maybe that is a generalization but that is just the impression I get.
YES!! This is exactly how I feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston