Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:25 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times

Advertisements

a perfect example of to each his own.....

as much as i love the mountains (no, i don't count our missouri ozarks as mountains, been to colorado a number of times)..... i LOVE the salt water even better.... THAT is what i still miss about the gulf coast even after (or maybe even MORE) 22 years here in the midwest.... yeah, we have lakes and rivers and streams and ponds...... its just NOT the same......

that and i am DONE with the winters here.... not the cold so much and not even the snow .... not that we have had much of that in recent years.... but the day after day after day after endless day of gray, cloudy skies against a backdrop of dead or dormant trees and other vegetation..... THAT my friends has become BEYOND old.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmomto2 View Post
by the way, I've lived in the Northeast all of my life and just came back from my first week in Houston. The housing is SO much nicer and SO SO SO much more affordable, our jaws were dropped!
That's because it is newer and there is so much of it. I miss NY like crazy!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Life is too short to be miserable. Isn't there any way to go back?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM

87 posts, read 384,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
I'm sure there is nothing I could ever miss about NY and NJ. I have tons of friends and family here and not a single one of them loves it here or doesn't wish they could leave. It's nice to see that the majority of people who live in Texas really love it (at least the ones we have met and talked to), its hard to find someone in NJ that just loves it here.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
My wife is from NY, while she dislikes the summers...she says it is just as bad there at times. She say however that she does not miss shoveling snow and walking to her car in the snow.

I have several friends that moved from the NJ/NY areas here and vise versa. the ones that moved here like the affordability and good public schools. The ones that moved to NY/NJ are single and love the Manhattan scene.

In 2005 one friend was able to sell his 2300 SF place in long island and have a custom built 5900+ sf place here in Sugar Land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmomto2 View Post
I'm sure there is nothing I could ever miss about NY and NJ. I have tons of friends and family here and not a single one of them loves it here or doesn't wish they could leave. It's nice to see that the majority of people who live in Texas really love it (at least the ones we have met and talked to), its hard to find someone in NJ that just loves it here.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 PM

87 posts, read 384,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
My wife is from NY, while she dislikes the summers...she says it is just as bad there at times. She say however that she does not miss shoveling snow and walking to her car in the snow.

I have several friends that moved from the NJ/NY areas here and vise versa. the ones that moved here like the affordability and good public schools. The ones that moved to NY/NJ are single and love the Manhattan scene.

In 2005 one friend was able to sell his 2300 SF place in long island and have a custom built 5900+ sf place here in Sugar Land.
As both a single woman and then a mom to 2, I never enjoyed the Manhattan scene at all! We almost NEVER go into the city for anything other than my husband's commute to work. I know that we can sell our house here and buy a home cash in the Woodlands or have one custom built in Bender's Landing that we'd never be able to afford here in NJ.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 PM

200 posts, read 632,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i grew up about a mile in from the galleria and lived all over southwest houston as a young woman.... places that i am now reading in here are just awful.... left houston in late 1986 ..... because of the economy and lack of jobs....

i cannot STAND the winters here anymore.... day after day after day after day of gray skies and dead trees..... i am MORE than ready to come "home" at this point and in fact have made it my goal to be back in texas permanently by mid-2010 ...... gotta wrap up some stuff here before i can make the move..... i really should have done the move back when my ex and i split and he bought me out of our business in late 2004.... but my mom was in a nursing home here and far to frail to move again..... she passed away in november, 2006 and now really the only thing keeping me here is getting finances back in order after 9 months of unemployment. and even though we haven't been hit as hard with the housing market debacle, we have taken a hit and i think it will be at least a year or so before we rebound.

BUT .... i doubt that i will come back to the houston area..... it has become too big, sprawled and congested in my 22 years in the midwest.... and it was getting that way long before i left. I am looking at corpus christi and victoria.... i am a certified energy rater, so my job is pretty portable.... and i miss the water, even after all of this time.... sure we have lakes and rivers here, but it is NOT the same......
Hahaha I feel the exactly the same way about St. Louis...this year was particularly awful weather wise. I plan on moving around mid 2010 to Texas myself also.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
Hahaha I feel the exactly the same way about St. Louis...this year was particularly awful weather wise. I plan on moving around mid 2010 to Texas myself also.

NO DOUBT.....

where are you now and where are you looking to go??

Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Life is too short to be miserable. Isn't there any way to go back?

Someday, yes, we will. Just don't know exactly when at the moment.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
I love all this drooling over the new houses. It's kinda funny, once you move in, it's just a house. There's more to life than a house. Seriously.

The typical poster line is "I can buy a mansion in EXBURB Z" that would have cost me five times that 10 minutes outside of DC, or Chicago, or LA..........

....Three months later the same poster will come back with "I'm bored, I miss home etc etc etc'

Well, when you give up location for something shiney, that's gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston