Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 08:27 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,612,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, Chicago is not thought of as ugly. I have NEVER heard anyone say that at all the way people say it about Houston. (I don't think Houston is totally ugly, but I do think that the parts visitors see often are and that is NOT true of Chicago).

It is thought of as violent because the media spins the numbers without looking at the murder rate. Chi-raq is nonsense, but it would be helpful if Chicago could get a handle on the violence in its poor black neighborhoods.
In your mind it isn't I hear a lot of people talk about Chicago being ugly. I don't know about you but I know a lot of people. A lot of people. Of all different demographics. The times Chicago comes up in a conversation, it is almost always one of the following:

1. "Chi-Raq" is violent. (again I agree this is a misconception)
2. Chicago is ugly. (I've already stated my opinion about it)
and 3. The classic Chicago Bulls team

Now I will say this. The people that call Chicago ugly are usually people that only went once for a quick trip or simply haven't been. I know of a few families that move to Chicago and love it (although they do complain about the weather). I have an ex I was in a relationship that lives in Chicago now (part of the reason for the split) and she hates it, but that's just an exception. Most of them love it. But that's just the ones that live there. From just about everyone I know when Chicago comes up in the conversation, the subject is usually negative. Again, I don't agree with it, but that's what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:30 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
Here are some shots that I took one early afternoon at the newly restored Buffalo Bayou area downtown. Sorry for the poor quality as they were taken from my old phone.

Very walkable and even connected by rail now. And to all the haters, YES, Very pretty.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 10-11-2016 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 PM

A few more. New Hike and bike trails.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
cant see the pics. upload again please.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:38 PM

Default Repost

Here are some shots that I took one early afternoon at the newly restored Buffalo Bayou area downtown. Sorry for the poor quality as they were taken from my old phone.

Very walkable and even connected by rail now. And to all the haters, YES, Very pretty.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:46 PM

A few more. New Hike and bike trails, gathering areas, skate park, and scenic areas.

and one rooftop shot I took while attending one of my old friend's wedding in the Studewood area.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 10-12-2016 at 12:57 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 AM

And I had to steal this photo from one of my good friend's facebook. It was a gorgeous day and I took some pics of her a few weeks ago, posing on one of the pedestian bridges in the Buffalo Bayou area. She compiled all 4 pics into one by a facebook app. Of course I blocked her face to protect her privacy, but I can say, it defintely looks postcard worthy. People really don't know how Houston has really shaped up in the last decade... The last 5-6 years alone. Cheers to UGLY Houston!!!

Last edited by stoneclaw; 10-12-2016 at 12:54 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 05:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
What I find funny is how often in this forum I read how fake The Woodlands is. It has the setbacks, zoning, strict architectural rules, etc., but in its case people say it makes it appear "fake" and "synthetic".

Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
And I had to steal this photo from one of my good friend's facebook. It was a gorgeous day and I took some pics of her a few weeks ago, posing on one of the pedestian bridges in the Buffalo Bayou area. She compiled all 4 pics into one by a facebook app. Of course I blocked her face to protect her privacy, but I can say, it defintely looks postcard worthy. People really don't know how Houston has really shaped up in the last decade... The last 5-6 years alone. Cheers to UGLY Houston!!!
Thanks for the pix of BB and the park upgrades. We plan to visit friends in Houston in a few months and look forward to seeing all the changes in the city. (+1)

Old 10-12-2016, 07:44 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,431,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's hard getting around Houston due to the size and number of cars taveling great distances due to sprawl.

Our freeway system is set up as a wheel with rings and spokes, which is by far the best system.
I have been reading this for many pages.I have no dog in this fight but it see you dont want to accept alot that is widely accepted as standard thought.

Chicago is a beautiful city.Sure it has bad parts just like Houston but most people dont hang out near those bad areas where they will even see them.
I dont think Houston is 'ugly' ,its just there.Its not an inviting city that beckons people to love its aesthetics. Houstons lack of compactness and zoning does not lend well to helping the city look appealing.

Houstons traffic btw is ranked 11th in the nation.Its not good for all the convenience of feeder roads and its spoke system you say are supposed to be good.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...t-traffic.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston