Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,430,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'd say much of Paris isn't pretty. If you walk through Paris, much of the time you are essentially in a man made canyon between unbroken rows of five story apartment buildings. You need to be on bigger roads like the Champs Elysees, by the river, at a park or in the arts section up above the rest of Paris to avoid those canyons.

The majority of Paris isn't alluring to the eye, but those aren't the spots you see on tv or in the tourist brochures.

Paris has lots of visually stunning areas, but they make up a small part of the city.
So
where
are
the
visually
stunning
parts
of
Houston/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes because ten years ago houston didn't give two diddlies about aesthetics but now has made a significant effort to improve its public spaces and increase development. So far I think it looks nice, 'not beautiful but Houston looks like a nice, new city and it cannot be compared to Chicago which has had decades upon decades to expand and develop. And also these comparisons are spurious as the criteria is so subjective and biased in favor of what most urbanists hold dear. Houston's improvements don't be good enough because it's development still has a very practical nature to it. It's still mixed used development, strip malls and all the stuff urbanists despise. I just happen to think it looks nice.
With Houston's topographic and geographic limitations, it is at an immediate disadvantage. Tie that together with when it boomed and at the speed of that boom, and it creates quite the obstacle to overcome.

As you point out, it is slowly getting better, and I believe this trend will continue.

We may never be a pretty city, but the ugly areas are getting better and the pretty areas are also getting better.

Houston is not an ugly city. It is a city whose ugly parts aren't as hidden as other cities.

Additionally, reputation tends to skew perception.

The good thing is my surroundings are pretty, which is my main concern.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
With Houston's topographic and geographic limitations, it is at an immediate disadvantage. Tie that together with when it boomed and at the speed of that boom, and it creates quite the obstacle to overcome.

As you point out, it is slowly getting better, and I believe this trend will continue.

We may never be a pretty city, but the ugly areas are getting better and the pretty areas are also getting better.

Houston is not an ugly city. It is a city whose ugly parts aren't as hidden as other cities.

So why is Dallas more attractive?Its relatively flat also.
Tampa-Ditto

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
So why is Dallas more attractive?Its relatively flat also.
Tampa-Ditto
I've been to Dallas many times and don't find it much more aesthetically pleasing then Houston.

I've never been to Tampa, but isn't it located on the water?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
So
where
are
the
visually
stunning
parts
of
Houston/
Visually stunning? Ok no one has used those words. So clearly you have a bias and no pics of the nice areas of town will prolly convince you since Houston's development still follows a practical, mixed use, and all the other things that urbanists dislike.

People are trying to be reasonable in here but there is this perception that skews any positive image of Houston's improvements

Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
So
where
are
the
visually
stunning
parts
of
Houston/
One immediate example is if you go to Stoneclaws post 408 and look at his first picture.

That is visually stunning.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Nail on the head. Couldn't have said it better. We are trying to be reasonable with people but where does this insistence to paint Houston as something ugly come from?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I've been to Dallas many times and don't find it much more aesthetically pleasing then Houston.

I've never been to Tampa, but isn't it located on the water?
Yes Tampa is on water but its an appealing city and its not that urban.
Dallas has spent more money on making the city more appealing.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Nail on the head. Couldn't have said it better. We are trying to be reasonable with people but where does this insistence to paint Houston as something ugly come from?
I get what you are saying and I agree.Houston is not an ugly city.
I guess what people are getting at is that in comparison to other cities and for its size and status,its very underwhelming. Sure thats changing but we are in the here and now.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I get what you are saying and I agree.Houston is not an ugly city.
I guess what people are getting at is that in comparison to other cities and for its size and status,its very underwhelming. Sure thats changing but we are in the here and now.
What's underwhelming about it currently? It's improving it's spaces while remaining practical. It's not going to sacrifice overall practicality for aesthetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston